•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sony A6000 electronic first curtain shutter and vibration

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 25 June 2022 - 07:21 AM

Hi all, just wondering about best practices using the A6000.  I currently use the "electronic first curtain" setting to reduce camera shake.  And I have a ten second interval between exposures to allow the vibration from the mechanical curtain which ends each exposure.  Does the mechanical curtain actually impart any vibration when it triggers?  It sounds like it does, and I'm wondering if ten seconds is a long enough "settle time."

#2 gabebalazs

gabebalazs

Viking 1

• Loc: Perrysburg, OH

Posted 25 June 2022 - 08:20 AM

It depends. I never worried about it, I did controlled tests how much the shutter affects the image and found that even the minimum 1 second between photos on my setup did not cause any blur. But your point is logical, and I can imagine it may cause some vibration at long focal lengths and on less than sturdy mounts.

#3 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 25 June 2022 - 07:29 PM

Thanks gabebalazs.  My main imaging scope is an 8" f/4 (800mm).  If you use the A6000 with your scopes, it might be similar.  With the lower focal length of your regular lenses, I would not expect shutter vibration to show up.

Thanks again for this input.

• gabebalazs likes this

#4 gabebalazs

gabebalazs

Viking 1

• Loc: Perrysburg, OH

Posted 25 June 2022 - 09:49 PM

You're welcome, good luck.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics