•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10-Minute Max Challenge. What's possible? Please post your best

EAA Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#26 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 28 June 2022 - 06:56 AM

With a mono camera, fast scope or camera lens and H-alpha filter, you can see  a lot in less than 10 minutes total exposure. Here is an archived topic I started a few years ago when I began EAA, with some examples, mostly under 10 minutes total exposure.

#27 Leafus

Leafus

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northampton, England

Posted 28 June 2022 - 05:19 PM

Alphatripleplus: amazing detail in those images in short time. Not sure I could give up the colour though for the mono sensitivity. I did use to love abbot and Costello, Harold Lloyd and laurel and Hardy so maybe I could adapt.

#28 chilldaddy

chilldaddy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Norman, OK

Posted 28 June 2022 - 07:17 PM

"I’m on an alt-az mount and want to keep it so my worry would be if I could get enough exposure time for the narrowband."

I'd say you can.  Eight second exposures for ten, twenty, or even thirty minutes will show amazing things.  An Alt/Az can do that just fine as long as you are okay with losing the edges.  I crop a little anyways since there's always some amount of drift no matter which mount I use.  I'm not guiding and setting up every time I view so close enough is good enough for me.

Greg

• Leafus likes this

#29 millsbob

millsbob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Massachusetts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 02:12 PM

last night's fun, with the equipment in my signature. later i stretched the histogram better, but by then i was over the 10-minute limit. also severely decimated by jpg reduction to fit the image size limit here. this was my first-ever session outside my backyard, so i was Very excited to have a horizon low enough to finally view M20!

m20.jpeg

Edited by millsbob, 29 June 2022 - 02:24 PM.

• Jeff Lee, Markovich, roelb and 6 others like this

#30 millsbob

millsbob

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2022 - 02:53 PM

also from last night: M8

Stack60_Light_M8_10.0s_Bin1_294MC_gain200.jpg

• Sheridan, Jeff Lee, roelb and 5 others like this

#31 Markinspace

Markinspace

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2022 - 04:20 PM

Triffid nebula with Tak 76, AVX, QHY183m, and Staraid as guider.  10-minutes of 30-seconds exposures. Higher resolution image in my gallery folder.

Attached Thumbnails

• B5C673FF-8F46-45A5-9BB0-DEBD20B52984.jpeg

Edited by Markinspace, 29 June 2022 - 04:35 PM.

• Sheridan, Jeff Lee, roelb and 4 others like this

#32 Leafus

Leafus

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 12:26 PM

millsbob: Amazing images. I can't believe they would get any better with long exposure/photoshop. I'd be pleased with getting something half as good as those.

markinspace: Great shot of the triffid. I had a look at the shot in your gallery. Detail is really evident. Such a weird nebula. I can see why it's popular right now.

For me, the triffid is only coming up to 15 degrees altitude maximum, along with the rest of the great DSO in that same region, and trees in my garden block the view. They'd also be sat in the light bubble from the adjacent village if I could see them. Still, I might just crank up my chainsaw.

• millsbob likes this

#33 millsbob

millsbob

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2022 - 10:45 PM

Leafus, you can do amazing things with EAA! those shots were barely at 20°, next to a primary school, shooting low over a bunch of pavement and thence on over the outskirts of our small village. i managed to find a spot on the school grounds Very close to the blazing security lights but partially shielded by some trees, although i was still getting a lot of reflection from a large white semi trailer which had just parked there That Day!

so i wouldn't give up on 15° if you can find the right spot!

Edited by millsbob, 30 June 2022 - 10:53 PM.

• Leafus likes this

#34 Leafus

Leafus

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2022 - 09:41 AM

Leafus, you can do amazing things with EAA! those shots were barely at 20°, next to a primary school, shooting low over a bunch of pavement and thence on over the outskirts of our small village. i managed to find a spot on the school grounds Very close to the blazing security lights but partially shielded by some trees, although i was still getting a lot of reflection from a large white semi trailer which had just parked there That Day!

so i wouldn't give up on 15° if you can find the right spot!

Millsbob - I'm even more impressed with those images under such conditions. Amazing. Did you use a filter? If so what did you use? I've just ordered an astronomik UHC, as my first decent filter and have high hopes for it. Next one, probably an Oiii, but likely will wait until after I buy a proper Astrocam before getting that, or perhaps go straight to an LEnhance or LExtreme - that's for a later thread though. Cheers

#35 steveincolo

steveincolo

Apollo

• Loc: Boulder, Colorado, US

Posted 01 July 2022 - 10:42 AM

Millsbob - I'm even more impressed with those images under such conditions. Amazing. Did you use a filter? If so what did you use? I've just ordered an astronomik UHC, as my first decent filter and have high hopes for it. Next one, probably an Oiii, but likely will wait until after I buy a proper Astrocam before getting that, or perhaps go straight to an LEnhance or LExtreme - that's for a later thread though. Cheers

If you’re planning to get an OSC camera, then a dual narrowband filter seems more useful than an OIII filter.   If you’re planning to get a mono camera, then an Ha filter would be my first choice over an OIII filter.  

• alphatripleplus and Leafus like this

#36 fizicksteacher

fizicksteacher

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio

Posted 01 July 2022 - 10:57 AM

last night's fun, with the equipment in my signature. later i stretched the histogram better, but by then i was over the 10-minute limit. also severely decimated by jpg reduction to fit the image size limit here. this was my first-ever session outside my backyard, so i was Very excited to have a horizon low enough to finally view M20!

m20.jpeg

What software is this?

Edited by fizicksteacher, 01 July 2022 - 10:59 AM.

#37 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 01 July 2022 - 12:02 PM

If you’re planning to get an OSC camera, then a dual narrowband filter seems more useful than an OIII filter.   If you’re planning to get a mono camera, then an Ha filter would be my first choice over an OIII filter.  

+1

• Jeff Lee and Leafus like this

#38 millsbob

millsbob

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2022 - 12:57 PM

What software is this?

the stock ASIAir+ software

#39 millsbob

millsbob

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2022 - 12:59 PM

i'm ignorant about filters, have tried a few but realized i didn't know what i was doing, so right now i'm in a phase of abstaining from them.

but there are plenty of folks here, like alpha3+/Errol, who know a lot about it.

i probably could've benefitted in this case?

#40 Markinspace

Markinspace

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2022 - 04:19 PM

Here’s a 10-min M13, with a satellite fly-by and a galaxy guest appearance, no post processing.  Full version in my gallery.

I’m going to apply darks tonight to see if I can get some better contrast, but I feel as though that starts to take me from EAA to imaging????

Attached Thumbnails

• 0AE1978D-35C3-456C-AED0-B67371279903.jpeg

Edited by Markinspace, 01 July 2022 - 04:37 PM.

• Sheridan, Jeff Lee, roelb and 1 other like this

#41 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 02 July 2022 - 07:49 AM

Darks and Flats are totally appropriate for EAA - there is no distinction between EAA Observing and EAA Imaging. It’s just a matter of what you’re after - primarily the observing and learning experience or primarily about the saved final picture. I suspect most folks use darks and flat regularly to optimize their on-screen view whichever approach they take.

Gary

• BrentKnight, steveincolo, Tfer and 2 others like this

#42 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 July 2022 - 10:04 AM

M27Stack_46frames_545s_WithDisplayStretch (2).jpg

C5 @f6.3, 294MC, 11.8 second 46 frames  545 seconds. Last view of the night as my Laptop battery had 10 minutes left. B5.5-6 skies.

We've been having one to 2 hour clear periods and my quick peek C5/SE setup is perfect for those time. Normally I would not do an M object but remembered this challenge and who doesn't love M27? My home screens are a lot brighter than what it shows here.    Cropped it and it appears brighter here.

Edited by Jeff Lee, 02 July 2022 - 10:51 AM.

• Sheridan, roelb, steveincolo and 1 other like this

#43 Leafus

Leafus

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2022 - 11:31 AM

Nice image, Jeff Lee. The dumbbell is one of my favourites and most nights I find myself slewing to it for a quick look. Your image is really nicely detailed. Looks almost bubble-like with the surrounding cloud.

#44 sdn

sdn

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 July 2022 - 08:10 AM

Here's my take on M17. Sharpstar 140PH refractor reduced to f/4.8, livestack of 544 seconds (16s subs) with uncooled Altair 294C using L-extreme filter. Bortle 9. I'm at 52N, so this picture was taken low over the horizon, exactly in the direction where light pollution is most severe. NELM in that part of the sky is around 3, all of Scutum was invisible.

"Save exactly as seen" in Sharpcap, only cropped and compressed to JPEG afterwards.
Stack_34frames_544s_WithDisplayStretch_cropped.jpg

Edited by sdn, 03 July 2022 - 08:27 AM.

• Sheridan, roelb, steveincolo and 2 others like this

#45 Leafus

Leafus

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2022 - 08:24 AM

SDN - That’s a superb image. And in Bortle 9. EAA is awesome. Almost like magic with the narrowband filters.
  • steveincolo likes this

#46 MeijerTim

MeijerTim

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 July 2022 - 03:17 PM

Great topic! Hereby two saved objects captured within Sharpcap on 2th of July.

M27/8” Dob/Altair Hypercam 294C pro/Geoptik EQ-platform/Baader Neodymium filter/Bortle 7/164s

M57/8” Dob/Altair Hypercam 294C pro/Geoptik EQ-platform/Baader Neodymium filter/Bortle 7/172s

Attached Thumbnails

• M27_20220702_Stack_41frames_164s.jpg
  • M57_20220702_Stack_43frames_172s.jpg

• Sheridan, roelb, steveincolo and 2 others like this

#47 GMatteo

GMatteo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 July 2022 - 09:14 AM

Hi all,

this is my first "techical" post on CN after presentation.

I join on CN because my interest on EAA and Lucky Imaging technique that I've already experimented in the past.

Going back to the topic, I do 2 test on planetary nebulae last week: NGC 6905 and NGC 6891.

Equipment: Skywatcher Newton 200/1000 on EQ5 Synscan - ZWO ASI 224MC

Software: Sharpcap, Gain 300, 2 sec subs, preloaded dark frame and sharpcap' gradient removal

NGC 6891

Stack_300frames_600s_WithDisplayStretch.jpg

NGC 6905

Stack_300frames_600s_WithDisplayStretch.jpg

Matteo

• roelb, JTNX01DC, steveincolo and 1 other like this

#48 mjritchie

mjritchie

Vostok 1

• Loc: Toledo, Ohio

Posted 07 July 2022 - 09:21 AM

Here are a couple I did last night. Seeing wasn't very good. I usually don't go over 10 minutes with any of my pictures, the improvement isn't that noticeable to me for the time invested.

M27 (Dumbell Neb)
M27 72frames 368s WithDisplayStretch
NGC6888 (crescent neb)
Crescent Neb 31frames 280s WithDisplayStretch

• Sheridan, roelb, steveincolo and 1 other like this

#49 Leafus

Leafus

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2022 - 12:46 PM

MeijerTim - I love the ring nebula. It looks like you could reach in an lift it out of the image.

GMatteo - Nice core showing on both of those. I'll be trying to observe both of those on my next session

mjritchie - great delicate images of both. I've not had much luck with the crescent yet, but am hoping when actual night returns I'll get a glimpse.

• mjritchie likes this

#50 sdn

sdn

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 July 2022 - 03:01 PM

SDN - That’s a superb image. And in Bortle 9. EAA is awesome. Almost like magic with the narrowband filters.

Thanks! And I fully agree, it's a great alternative to hours of driving, it just shows more and it's great for sharing the views too. The same night (July 2nd) I also shot the eagle nebula (M18):

This is just 480 seconds of livestack. I let it run longer and the image quality improved, but to fit this topic I will post the intermediate result. Again just cropped, no further changes.

Attached Thumbnails

• Stack_30frames_480s_WithDisplayStretch.jpg

Edited by sdn, 08 July 2022 - 03:04 PM.

• Sheridan, roelb and steveincolo like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EAA, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics