•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher Quattro 150 Test Image

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 evrimi

evrimi

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2022 - 09:58 AM

I received my Skywatcher Quattro 150 a few days ago and had a chance to image with it last night.  With the included coma corrector, it is 518mm at f/3.45

I used an unmodified Nikon Z50, since I don't have a dedicated astro camera.  Located in NW NJ, my sky is only fair at around Bortle 4.5/5. Image shown is a stack of 25  exposures of 30 sec at ISO 6400, with some basic processing to darken the sky which would otherwise be very washed out.  It's the full frame and had to be saved at the lowest jpg quality to get it under the image size limit.  

This is a pretty nice little scope, especially considering the price.

Attached Thumbnails

• Quattro 150 M13 test image.jpg

• Alterf, Carl H., SandyHouTex and 11 others like this

#2 Andrey Kobelev

Andrey Kobelev

Viking 1

Posted 25 June 2022 - 10:14 AM

Beautiful picture! I tried clusters a few times but so far, I cannot automatically and reliably focus on star clusters. How do you do that? manually or automatically in SGP?

#3 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 25 June 2022 - 11:23 AM

Moderator Note:

Posts specifically about AP/EAA will be considered off-topic for the Reflectors forum.  Discussions of the telescope and it's capabilities, functions and etc. are fine.

#4 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: MD

Posted 25 June 2022 - 11:41 AM

Remarkable scope!!!!

#5 evrimi

evrimi

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2022 - 12:00 PM

Regarding the query on how I focus, the Nikon Z50 is a mirrorless camera, which allows manual live view focusing in the viewfinder at an image magnfication of about 25-30x, and you can scroll anywhere in the frame.  This is equivalent to focusing through the scope at 250-300x, so precise focus is easy to achieve.

#6 Super Creative

Super Creative

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:09 AM

Awesome! How did you find collimating the scope? I just ordered one, such a great value with the included coma corrector. Looking forward to seeing some more images.

#7 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Soyuz

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:35 AM

Awesome! This is the scope I think I would get into AP with. F/3.5 will slam the sensor with light and keep data collection times sane enough for the cloud cursed among us.

#8 lkylky123

lkylky123

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 July 2022 - 10:31 AM

Finally found the Quattro 150 in stock! Need purchase quickly for a gift! 

I’ve heard  Newtonians can be quirky.

im coming off a Nexstar 5se so , no Newt exp., is this a not too quirky Newtonian? 

Was concerned 6” aperture May not get deep enough into space? But set- up may help?

My interest is deep space and it will been on an EQ6 Skywalker/ Wi-Fi mount, with a ZWO 1183 camera, plus mini scope w/ guiding camera….. so thinking full setup should help……

Thank you!

Edited by lkylky123, 01 July 2022 - 10:36 AM.

#9 Anthony123495

Anthony123495

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 July 2022 - 01:20 PM

Hi,
I have the same scope, and I was wondering what backfocus you are using?
I tried between 52 and 55, and had too much backfocus distance.
Thanks!

#10 mayhem13

mayhem13

Apollo

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 03 July 2022 - 06:48 AM

Hi,
I have the same scope, and I was wondering what backfocus you are using?
I tried between 52 and 55, and had too much backfocus distance.
Thanks!

Assuming it’s the same CC as the stand alone F4 CC they offer, you should be in the ball park at 55mm with just a T ring on a DSLR……the spec is 55mm. If you’re getting elongated stars, look at tilt as the most likely culprit……check the draw tube for it first with a laser……run the focuser all the way out and see if the pointing dot moved……….slew the scope around a bit and recheck again…….even 1mm matters in an F4 system.

#11 mayhem13

mayhem13

Apollo

Posted 03 July 2022 - 06:56 AM

Nice image!….did you crop it at all?

#12 Anthony123495

Anthony123495

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 July 2022 - 09:17 PM

Hi Mayhem,

I don't think it's a tilt issue, because my stars are not elongated in the same direction.

I used CCDInspector to see the field curvature and tilt on one of my image. It said I had 9% tilt and 35.9 % curvature. 

I may be wrong though.

Could you please confirm if it's backfocus or tilt ? It would be really appreciated, thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Light_FOV_Cross_300_0s_Bin2_H_gain120_20220703_233437_10_0C_0012_mosaic.png

#13 mayhem13

mayhem13

Apollo

Posted 05 July 2022 - 04:41 AM

There’s a lot going on in this image…..thanks for sharing

For one, there’s clearly coma……..I’d start a support ticket with SW and maybe exchange the CC for a new one……36% curvature is a lot and should have little to do with backfocus.

It’s REALLY important with these entry level newts to identify any movement in the optical path as I mentioned earlier……F4 is not forgiving at all. Assuming you have a laser, set up your mount so the OTA is completely horizontal and rotated in the tube rings so the focuser faces directly at the ground. Drop your laser in the focuser and DON’T tighten it down. This will eliminate any sources of tilt. Collimate in this position and THEN tighten the laser into the focuser…..did the collimation mark change?…….if so, that’s tilt. Run the focuser in and out now as well and see if the collimation mark changes again…..anything 1mm or more is significant for an F4 scope. If all is good, move the scope to 45 degrees and zenith……..is the mark/collimation still the same? If not, something else is moving in the optical path……could be the primary clips are too loose, the secondary spider is loose or the tube has some flex……..none of which is good if the movement is 1mm or more.

Take and test some exposures without the CC and see what curvature comes back. You could also do some visual AB with and without the CC with a widefield EP……..center up a somewhat brighter star and then slew it around into the corners and see what happens. This will eliminate possible tracking/guiding errors as a cause too.

• Anthony123495 likes this

#14 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sunshine Coast, Australia

Posted 05 July 2022 - 05:02 AM

Try reducing the back focus a little to reduce the wings.

Then it will be easier to see if there’s anything else in there. I suspect a little tilt too.

• Anthony123495 likes this

#15 evrimi

evrimi

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2022 - 02:43 PM

I'm not sure if any of these questions are regarding the M13 image I posted a while ago.

The image is full frame (Nikon APC).

I colllimate the scope in 2 steps: basic alignment using home made "eyepiece" cap with a 1/8" hole and internal white ring, followed by a laser collimator with a viewport to see the fully reflected spot.  A visual check showed it was dead on.

My backfocus was 55.3mm via a combination of Baaader UFC components.  I now have an Askar 54mm/48mm wide T-ring for Nikon Z which will set the backfocus at 55.0mm.

Here is another image taken recently of Comet PANSTARRS and M10.  A nearly full moon was rising.

Attached Thumbnails

• Comet PANSTARSS K2 14-Jul-2022 mod.jpg

• Marco 104 likes this

#16 Marco 104

Marco 104

Sputnik

Posted 01 August 2022 - 04:58 AM

Hi all, this is a scope I'm also willing to get

Looking at evrimi image the stars seem ok all across the APS-C frame and it's great for this budget

However, I'd like to hear from you owners which are pros and cons you spotted

My concern is if this scope is really good as is or whether you need to invest more in fixing parts here and there

Quattros are sometimes improved with retrofit on secondary mirror support in case of multiple diffraction spikes or with modifications on primary support when not properly fixed

On top of this, which collimator do you guys have?

I prefer to plan all is needed before sending the money

Thanks

Marco

#17 Roadastro

Roadastro

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Lund, south Sweden

Posted 05 August 2022 - 11:21 AM

I am about to get this tube, but have some quick questions. What is focal travel on the stock focuser? What is the distance from the focuser tube (with CC) to the focal point? Do I get focus if using a ZWO camera, back focus between CC and sensor 55.3 mm)?  I can't find any numbers that tell the distance to the focal point out of the focuser.  Kind regards Lasse

#18 fmendes

fmendes

Mariner 2

• Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 06 August 2022 - 12:49 AM

I am about to get this tube, but have some quick questions. What is focal travel on the stock focuser? What is the distance from the focuser tube (with CC) to the focal point? Do I get focus if using a ZWO camera, back focus between CC and sensor 55.3 mm)?  I can't find any numbers that tell the distance to the focal point out of the focuser.  Kind regards Lasse

You should get focus fine if you provide the right backfocus. I couldn't find the manual of the Quattro 150, but I do have the Quattro 200, and I use it with a ZWO ASI294MC Pro just fine, both with the Skywatcher coma corrector and with a Starizona Nexus 0.75x reducer. Both use the same back focus.

#19 Roadastro

Roadastro

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Lund, south Sweden

Posted 06 August 2022 - 12:16 PM

Thank you Vostok! I found a variable adapter between 48 and 42 mm, so I think I'll have the correct back focus adding my filter holder to the equation. :)   /Kind regards Lasse

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics