•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGX_L Tripod to AP1600

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fluxrope

fluxrope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2022 - 12:28 AM

I shipped my CGX-L back to Celestron a few weeks ago for the second and final time.  Celestron said they'll be refunding my purchase costs.  I purchased an AstroPhysics 1600GTO with absolute encoders yesterday to replace the Celestron mount.  Celestron let me hang on to the beefy CGX-L tripod.  My question is, is there a way to interface the AP1600 to the CGX-L tripod?  It would save me ~$1000.  Has someone machined a mounting plate for such an interface or is there someone out there who can? I'm hoping to introduce my C14EdgeHD  to the AP1600 soon.

Edited by fluxrope, 26 June 2022 - 12:29 AM.

#2 Mbenj2405

Mbenj2405

Vostok 1

• Loc: head Chezzetcook Nova Scotia Canada

Posted 26 June 2022 - 06:38 AM

Probably not. That said that's a relatively easy project for someone with some basic mechanical/math skills. Buy some thick aluminum plate. Otherwise a local machinist could easily do the work for you. I recently made an adapter plate to mount a CEM120 to a Meade giant field tripod.

#3 Binary Star

Binary Star

Vostok 1

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 26 June 2022 - 07:41 PM

Hi fluxrope, 

I think you're going to have difficulty adapting that tripod to the AP1600.  Your new mount needs a flat surface adapter from A-P (1612FSA-FP) to attach it to a tripod or pier, and at only 7" wide for the CGX-L tripod head you would need some other adapter machined to go between the tripod head and the flat surface adapter.  I have one of the Starizona CGEM pier adapters that I MacGyver'ed for my Mach1GTO but the  AP1600 is much bigger at the base.   Maybe post your question on the A-P forum and see if someone can offer a solution.  

I used to have a CGX-L and hated lugging that beast of a tripod to darker skies. Just my opinion but I would cut my losses and get an appropriate tripod/pier for the mount and never look back.  

Jim R.

• fluxrope likes this

#4 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:02 PM

You could talk to Joe Nastassi at Parallax Instruments.  Personally,  you are getting an EXCELLENT mount,  astronomy, imaging, is a ground up operation.  Your pier / tripod is just as important as your mount.  Stability is paramount. 

My advice,  don't fool around.

If not an AP pier then, 

Parallax Instruments

http://www.parallaxi....com/piers.html

Pier Tech

http://piertechinc.c...elescope-piers/

Advance Telescope Systems

https://www.advanced...om/portable.php

• fluxrope likes this

#5 archer1960

archer1960

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:49 AM

That CGX-L tripod is pretty darn solid; I have one, and the mount, and I'd say the tripod is better than the mount. So I'd say it would be worth investigating making (or having one made) to adapt to your new mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics