•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What's everyone's preference for a filter for a maksutov?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:06 AM

Haven't had much in the way of outings lately, got a couple between the clouds night time sessions and the recent quick solar one with the fat prominence a couple days ago.

I did a little shopping and ended up with a 127mm maksutov on the way (hopefully). It's got basically solar system stuff on tap along with some other stuff. Of course I'm also thinking of slapping a full aperture white light solar filter onto the front probably for visual and imaging. Ideally I'd like to run the scope next to an h-alpha rig (if I can get a side by side mounting dovetail set up that is).

I bet none of my cameras are going to do great with sampling however.

I'm looking for filter suggestions. Thousand oaks? Baader? Glass, film? Don't use a telescope with a focal length of 1500mm?

#2 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:31 AM

Haven't had much in the way of outings lately, got a couple between the clouds night time sessions and the recent quick solar one with the fat prominence a couple days ago.

I did a little shopping and ended up with a 127mm maksutov on the way (hopefully). It's got basically solar system stuff on tap along with some other stuff. Of course I'm also thinking of slapping a full aperture white light solar filter onto the front probably for visual and imaging. Ideally I'd like to run the scope next to an h-alpha rig (if I can get a side by side mounting dovetail set up that is).

I'm looking for filter suggestions. Thousand oaks? Baader? Glass, film? Don't use a telescope with a focal length of 1500mm?

Baader film is probably still the best, unless you have access to a really good plane-parallel window you can get coated with stainless steel.  But if a yellow image is important (Baader is a tad blue, but not much) then a glass one like a Thousand Oaks II is a good idea.  The silver-black film filters are less expensive but they produce more light scatter and lower resolution than the Baader or glass filters.

• steveward53 and eblanken like this

#3 steveward53

steveward53

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Newmarket,UK

Posted 26 June 2022 - 04:39 AM

Baader AstroSolar film every time ... waytogo.gif

#4 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Voyager 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 26 June 2022 - 07:33 AM

You have two options.... solar film or a glass ERF (which will cost $1k or more easily). Since this is for photosphere viewing, I think it's a simple choice for the Baader solar film.

Either of your cameras will be fine, both sample red wavelength around F14 as it is. Use a red imaging filter to calm seeing. I also suggest a polarizer filter.

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 26 June 2022 - 07:33 AM.

• eblanken likes this

#5 eblanken

eblanken

Mariner 2

• Loc: Portland Oregon Area NW USA

Posted 26 June 2022 - 06:57 PM

Hi wxcloud,

You can get good results with a variety of options, but we could help you more if you revealed your budget.

I run a simple Glass Solar Filter on an ETX-90 and get what I and others "expect" to see: A Yellow-Orange Sun's disk with Black sky framing it.

This worked well for my wife and me and others for the 2012 Venus Transit for several hours in front of my work building. Very cheap & portable.

Is that what you want or are you going for a "better" and "truer" sun that would be "white" ??? The Baader film ND 5.0 is great for that, but if 

you want the Yellow-Orange there are ways to get that back (see other threads here on this forum). You can get a Baader Solar Continuum

(Green) filter if you prefer a "better" image and have two choices at each of your solar sessions.

I have a 127mm MAK too and it has a "dust cover" that is also a Glass Orion Branded Solar filter (once again Yellow-Orange). My reasoning is

that I use an iOptron Branded Mount that works best when I align the mount to "something" in the sky. The sun is up in the day when I prefer to

set up my equipment, so that is my first choice for an "alignment target" and I sometimes have a Meade PST on the other side of the mount, so

I can take in the H-Alpha views too and get "WOW" from my other people who think I'm crazy for spending "so much money" on "expensive"

equipment. LOL !!! I don't tell them about the Quarks and the ED Refractors, but for others, after I get to know them and they, me. I bring out

"the good stuff" and we have a better view of the sun.

Oh and I'm a visual only guy, so If you are talking imaging, "Bring more money", I say (LOL !!!).

Make Sense ???

Ed (aka eblanken) Blankenship

Edited by eblanken, 26 June 2022 - 07:05 PM.

#6 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2022 - 10:43 PM

Probably something that produces a neutral tone because I can add false color later. I've also read the more neutral toned white light filters offer higher resolution than those that produce color. I have a thousand oaks glass filter (90mm) that will produce an orange sun.

Guess I'll see what baader offers through one of the shops I use. I'm a little nervous of film especially trying to make my own solar filter. I'm not in a rush however.

Budget? Definitely most likely less than the cost of this telescope for sure. I do have other scopes I can use for solar including a Herschel wedge for my refractors however.

#7 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 04:36 PM

Did a little digging and came up with this one, a baader astrosolar film. Clear aperture is a little smaller than the scope but it's outside dimensions fit within the specs...

https://agenaastro.c...r-astf-100.html

Calipers gave the outside cell of my mak 130mm, this filter fits between an outside diameter of 120-150mm.

It does seem a little flimsy however and as mentioned I lose some of the aperture of the scope.

I found a similar sized glass one by spectrum (5.25") for a little bit more cash. Does turn the sun orange however. Looks a little more durable however.

Then there is the unmounted ND5 A4 sheet for a DIY type solution which I would think would give me a couple chances to get it correct. Or have a little extra on hand. The sheet:

https://agenaastro.c...et-2459281.html

I do have a couple ND filters and polarizer to dim the view down a little bit more as well as a cheap green continuum filter and various other filters, including ir filters.

Guess the film might be the way to go here.

#8 ABQJeff

ABQJeff

Viking 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 30 June 2022 - 07:56 PM

I have had good success with Orion’s glass solar filters.  I have one for my 6” Mak and just received one for my C9.25.  Both came in perfect condition (no pinholes) and were well made/professional looking (unlike another vendor’s who I had to return).

#9 steveward53

steveward53

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Newmarket,UK

Posted 30 June 2022 - 11:00 PM

I have had good success with Orion’s glass solar filters. 

Having tested umpteen various filters in the past I can assure you that better results are to be had from Baader AstroSolar film than any glass based filter or polymer film filter.

• eblanken likes this

#10 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2022 - 11:03 PM

Okay, found an embroidery hoop that fits around the outside of the telescope, there is a little room around it however, not a tight fit but not hanging off. Maybe 1/8th inch clearance around it I could probably snug up with something (foam sticky squares for example). Unfortunately the hoop is fairly thin wood in terms of how deep it is which does make me unsure about it.

Also concerned about putting the film in it without scratching or stretching it or otherwise causing damage. I'm thinking I should come up with a better plan B to make a holder for the film.

Or I can just ditch the idea of using the mak for solar?

#11 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:57 PM

I ended up ordering a sheet of baader film. I got some black foam board I might be able to sandwich the film in. Heard poster board might be a preference too. A little nervous about trying a DIY solar filter. Trying to be as safe as possible :)

#12 davidpitre

davidpitre

Aurora

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 08 July 2022 - 10:46 PM

It’s good your being cautious but as long as the filter is secured and doesn’t blow off, the danger is very minimal. Many people use DIY filters.
With minimal care you are not going to stretch the filter or scratch it. You will inevitably have some wrinkles, but they don’t significantly effect the image. Don’t obsess on making the film perfect.
Generally white materials are better than black for constructing the filter structure. . Cassegrains are prone to thermal issues with solar filters. Unlike at nighttime, reflections from scope materials are not an issue due to the overwhelming brightness of ( even the filtered) sun relative to internal reflections.
  • rlw1138 likes this

#13 rlw1138

rlw1138

Explorer 1

• Loc: 88W 42N

Posted 09 July 2022 - 07:21 PM

I have an Orion Apex 127 Mak with a diy cardboard/foamboard holder for Baader film.

Find a used William Optics binoviewer and a couple of old Meade 26mm Super-Plossl eyepieces and you'll be amazed at what you can see.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics