•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Starsense pack up 12 months ago

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 robodan

robodan

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:57 AM

Had a Starsense, for years working mo issues at all. Then one day randomly came up with message this is the first you have used it, needs setting up. Yet no trouble at all till then, worked flawlessly.

Went through all the setup procedure again. Then of course asked to calibrate for it to find the centre.

It would never calibrate and always said was to far off and no matter what I did, and read everything and tried it always failed so unfortunately ended up in the rubbish.

#2 mlord

mlord

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 26 June 2022 - 07:30 AM

On the chance that it didn't really end up in the tip, I'm pretty sure it can be made to work again.

There are two parts to StarSense:  the camera itself, and the hand-controller.  The hand-controller is relatively unimportant, as an app on a touchscreen can easily replace it.

The "Calibration" data (a simple set of X,Y) coordinates, is data which gets kept inside the camera itself.  When the existing "calibration" is quite a bit off-centre, it can be a bit tedious to get the system to accept a new set of coordinates, but totally doable.

If you really don't want to fuss with it, I'm sure there are loads of others here, including myself, who would love to give it a new home!

Cheers

#3 robodan

robodan

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:27 PM

No it was so far off centre would not even come close enough at all tried clearing the calibration, etc did nothing. Always failed to calibrate.

Also kept having the issue failing to find stars example would say found 100 stars, success, would start to go to the next section, then say fail.

If it found say 20 stars or even 10 would say success abd go to next postion and work, but was hit and miss.

Before these issues worked well everytime.

Never touched a thing. For years worked without an issue then all of a sudden fail. And said it was a new system, so somehow totally reset itself.

The only thing I can think it was I'd starsense has its own onboard memory chip. It's failed to hold any storage

#4 rhaskins

rhaskins

Viking 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 26 June 2022 - 05:33 PM

Can you reload the firmware or the latest firmware?

Rick

#5 robodan

robodan

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2022 - 07:03 PM

Had the latest firmware at the time, but think, if camera has any internal memory it's corrupt and won't hold the info, hense why out of the blue a perfectly working starsense one day says needs to be set up as this is the first time using it, which clearly was not

#6 mlord

mlord

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 27 June 2022 - 08:24 AM

The description of the "issue" sounds like ordinary alignment procedure issues.  But as the original poster has long since disposed of the hardware (what a waste), there's really no point or purpose to this thread.

Cheers

• TomH1954 likes this

#7 Knixon

Knixon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 June 2022 - 03:06 AM

I probably would have dug very hard for some kind of memory-retaining battery.

#8 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 29 June 2022 - 02:39 PM

I had a similar problem with mine when I first got it. I didn’t realize it wanted the time entered as from 0 to 24 hours. I assumed it knew 9:25 would be 9:25 PM.
Once I realized it needed 9:25 PM entered as 21:25, it worked fine and has ever since.
The manual that comes with it is very poorly written. I think it’s the cause of half the problems users encounter.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics