•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light...Oberwerk 15x70 Deluxe

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Y.

Mark Y.

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2022 - 03:11 AM

I am told by the wife that this should be my last bino,if I want to continue to enjoy her cooking.I'm up to six now,so may have to seriously consider her threat.

Anyway,having bought the Oberwerk 10x50 Deluxe about 6 weeks ago and owning the O.B. 20x65ED's,I wanted a tweener.I liked the 10x50 Deluxe overall package so much that I wouldn't be happy with anything less,even though I am kinda' tapped out of hobby funds at this point.

After pondering the lesser models around,I figured I had to have the 15x70 Deluxe....They arrived today and I am really glad I stayed the course.I'm not going to go into too much technical stuff,but I can say that these really are "Deluxe Binoculars"!

The build,fit & finish and aesthetics are absolutely first rate.....Optically,I find it hard to believe one can do meaningfully better anywhere close to this price.....I'm sure I may be a bit off here,but this gives you an idea of how impressed I am with these binoculars.

I mean..."The overall package"....You get a fantastic,supremely well built binocular,an L bracket and a vault like metal case for $299.95.

A performance and condition report is included from Oberwerk and the packaging could withstand a nuclear blast......Well,almost.-smile.gif

I took it out at 1:00a.m. and stayed out until 2:30 a.m.....It got a nice workout and asterisms,double stars all smiled at me......Saw two satellites too.

I fully realize I am rationalizing a happy purchase,but these binoculars are simply a fabulous product at a superb price.....Not too common these days.

Thanks for reading my post.smile.gif

Edited by Mark Y., 26 June 2022 - 03:13 AM.

• Mark9473, Erik Bakker, Lewis Cason and 6 others like this

#2 DeanD

DeanD

Viking 1

• Loc: South Australia

Posted 26 June 2022 - 03:49 AM

Sounds great Mark, and I hope you continue to enjoy them just as much! They sound like a great buy. I love the fact that they have centre focus too: it makes them really versatile for easier daytime viewing as well.

Just for interest, how do they stack up optically with the 20x65's? Are you able to give us an idea of contrast, sharpness, size of "sweet spot", CA vs the 20x65's?

Oh, and btw, cooking is easy to learn and fun: I do most of it around here. Just saying...   wink.gif

All the best,

Dean

Edited by DeanD, 26 June 2022 - 03:52 AM.

• Mark Y. likes this

#3 Mark Y.

Mark Y.

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2022 - 04:17 AM

Ha! I can make a ham sandwich, or peanut butter & jelly.I'm also an expert at Special K,or Cheerios.

Haven't had a chance to do an A/B comparison with the 20x65ED's......From memory,the 15x70 Deluxe has a larger FOV(obviously) and the 20x65ED's go deeper and resolve more minutiae.

I can hand hold the 15x70 Deluxe rather easily for short periods,but you're not going to be able to keep it steady for more than a few seconds.I happen to like panning with it,by hand,so if I keep slowly moving with it hand held,I get a pretty good experience......However....

I'll definitely go with the tripod soon.I have my 20x65ED on the O.B. Series 4000 tripod and will use it for double duty.

I have an Oberwerk Series 5000 tripod with an APM MS 34x80ED mounted on that one.....Kinda' heavy-ish,but pretty much a grab and go.

I'd love to go for a nice BT,but would have to do the cereal on a permanent basis according to the misses.

Edited by Mark Y., 26 June 2022 - 04:20 AM.

• DeanD likes this

#4 Armanos

Armanos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2022 - 06:34 AM

I am surprised you saw only two satellites in 1 and a half hours, when I look up in the sky, I see a satellite every few minutes lol.gif

Anyway, I would strongly recommend a parallelogram mount (and a tripod to mount the parallelogram mount on). It is so much better than a tripod - you can sit in a chair relaxed, even lay on the ground. For me, tripod alone has proven very uncomfortable for observing objects higher than 30 degrees (that is, the altitude you should be observing them..).

Of course, it will cost you the same as the binoculars (or more), but it is worth it.

• Mark Y. likes this

#5 Fiske

Fiske

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:53 AM

Just guessing here, but it may be that fewer satellites are seen later in the night because of the earth's shadow -- most satellites are illuminated by sunlight, right? And Mark was observing from 1 am until 2:30 am.

Congratulations on the 15x70 Deluxe. It is an excellent binocular. And thank you for your first light report. waytogo.gif

• Mark Y. likes this

#6 Armanos

Armanos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2022 - 09:04 AM

Well that depends on where you are observing from. For me, at 57 North, the Sun is not far below the horizon all nigh wink.gif

Unlike him probably at 40 North.

• Fiske likes this

#7 Fiske

Fiske

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 26 June 2022 - 09:25 AM

Well that depends on where you are observing from. For me, at 57 North, the Sun is not far below the horizon all nigh wink.gif

Unlike him probably at 40 North.

Latitude of Lenexa, Kansas: 38.9536°  smile.gif

• Armanos likes this

#8 Armanos

Armanos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2022 - 09:42 AM

Well some are positioned more favorably than others lol.gif

• Fiske likes this

#9 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 26 June 2022 - 10:02 AM

I'm at nearly the same latitude here; 39.03°.   I have a friend who's nearly 10° north of me in Idaho and the difference in the night sky is amazing.

Rich

• Fiske likes this

#10 Mark Y.

Mark Y.

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2022 - 05:27 PM

I thought I had seen more than two satellites, but could only confirm the two I'd mentioned. Who cares how many actually?

As for a parallelogram mount...That really would be nice down the road....Right now I'm quite happy with the tripod choices I've made.

The way I see it,I have two other binoculars that are easy to hand hold and allow me to look in all directions(10x50 Deluxe and a 12x50) and the tripods give me ease of use and I find I am able to see upwards reasonably well and easily beyond 30 degrees....45 degrees is a snap for me.....Especially the Oberwerk Series 5000/APM MS 34x80ED combination.....It can be extended quite a bit,though I like to be seated.....Good Lord,is that a nice combination!

I have no problems hand holding these  Oberwerk 15x70 Deluxe gems,for short periods and spanning slowly across the skies.I expect to mount them,but spanning slowly,while hand held gives me a nice experience...Especially when I feel lazy and just want to "get up there" without a hassle..

No complaints so far.

Edited by Mark Y., 26 June 2022 - 07:03 PM.

• Fiske and f18dad like this

#11 ABQJeff

ABQJeff

Viking 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 03 July 2022 - 12:04 PM

Congrats on the Oberwerk 15x70 Deluxe!  I too use those as my ‘tweeners’ between my Obie 12x60LW (handheld/touristing) and 20x80 Deluxe III (mounted on parallelogram mount).  As you state I can hand hold my 15x70s, but I most often use them on an Oberwerk monopod.

l find the 15x70 Deluxe binos the perfect size for compact astro travel. And that they can take 1.25” filters is a real bonus.

Eta Carina with nebula filters was amazing in them when I was in Hawaii a couple months ago.

CS!!

• f18dad and Mark Y. like this

#12 litesong

litesong

Viking 1

Posted 03 July 2022 - 02:52 PM

Oberwerk……15x70 Deluxe....build,fit & finish and aesthetics are absolutely first rate.....Optically,I find it hard to believe one can do meaningfully better anywhere close to this price.....

As Fiske posted in another thread:

….the Oberwerk 15x70 Deluxe, which is arguably the best value-priced instrument in the 15x class….. 

Edited by litesong, 04 July 2022 - 06:12 AM.

• f18dad and Mark Y. like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics