•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starless Dumbbell Nebula in H-alpha

Astrophotography CMOS DSO Imaging Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 June 2022 - 04:26 AM

I'm still working on my newest bi-color image of the Dumbbell Nebula but I thought this was a pretty nice rendition showing the detail in my current stack of H-alpha subs. This is the result of my second night on the Dumbbell (after my first night bi-color shown __HERE__ ) and I decided to try a starless version using StarXterminator. Total integration time is 36 x 300s (3 hours) with a 0.8X reduced Stellarvue SV80ST2 and a ZWO ASI183MM Pro camera.

North is up and the displayed image scale is 1.29 arc seconds per pixel (when viewed at full size, not just the smaller, inline preview).

Image capture with Sequence Generator Pro v3.x, image processing with PixInsight, StarXterminator, and Photoshop 2022.

Comments and criticisms (C&C) welcomed and thanks for looking.

Attached Thumbnails

• Starless Dumbbell Nebula.jpg

Edited by james7ca, 26 June 2022 - 08:12 AM.

• rwstanley, Tapio, elmiko and 7 others like this

#2 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New York

Posted 27 June 2022 - 01:42 AM

That is quite mesmerizing. Don't often see such a commonly imaged object presented in such a novel way. Might be the result of staring at it for too long but I swear I'm seeing a torroidal shape viewed from quarter on with jets emanating from the center.

Nice one James.

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 10:22 AM

Mike, thanks.

As for the "jets," I think there are something like that although it is pretty hard to accurately envision a three dimensional shape from a 2D image. Another interesting thing about that structure, the OIII shell has a kind of inlet that overlays one of the "jets" in H-alpha.

#4 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:52 PM

Impacting image, in this form I never saw the Dumbbell.
As Mike7Mak said it does look like a toroidal shape, very interesting :waytogo:

Edited by Mert, 27 June 2022 - 12:52 PM.

#5 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2022 - 08:24 AM

Mert, thanks for the notice.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, CMOS, DSO, Imaging, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics