•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HEQ5 Mount with Hand Controller or WiFi adapter?

Mount
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ironh59

Ironh59

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2022 - 09:20 PM

I am looking to buy my first tracking mount and have finally decided to go with HEQ5. There are two options available. If I am able to find some old stock or used mounts, I am getting hand controller with it. However all the new or pre-order stock only comes with a WiFi adapter. I was told by one of the retailers that it’s because of semiconductor shortage. Is not having a hand controller going to make a big difference? What functionality/feature I will miss out on if I don’t have hand controller?

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Soyuz

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 27 June 2022 - 01:26 PM

If you don't have the hand controller, you'll need to always have another device (ie phone, tablet, computer) with you to run the mount. Your observing sessions will be limited to how long the controlling device will run. An HEQ5 with a hand controller can be run from a computer using EQASCOM (aka EQMOD) which has, as a prerequisite, installation of the ASCOM platform.

I believe that the one function you loose without the hand controller is the ability to monitor the voltage being fed to the mount.

#3 Ironh59

Ironh59

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:43 PM

If you don't have the hand controller, you'll need to always have another device (ie phone, tablet, computer) with you to run the mount. Your observing sessions will be limited to how long the controlling device will run. An HEQ5 with a hand controller can be run from a computer using EQASCOM (aka EQMOD) which has, as a prerequisite, installation of the ASCOM platform.

I believe that the one function you loose without the hand controller is the ability to monitor the voltage being fed to the mount.Th

Thanks Phil.

I checked with the retailer. They confirmed that it will still be compatible with EQMOD. I guess ASCOM platform will need to be installed on my computer, that would give me full control of the mount?

#4 sunrag

sunrag

Apollo

• Loc: Carmel, Indiana

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:48 PM

You can find a used HC fairly easily in CN classifieds. HC is always a handy thing to have, for example to move the scope while looking through the eyepiece at the same time for centering an object.

#5 Ironh59

Ironh59

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 08:06 PM

You can find a used HC fairly easily in CN classifieds. HC is always a handy thing to have, for example to move the scope while looking through the eyepiece at the same time for centering an object.

Thanks, a used one looks like a better option. Currently the stores here are not able to get new stock from suppliers.

#6 DeepSky Di

DeepSky Di

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Moderators

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:10 PM

I started out using the hand controller but it has lived in a box since I started using my ASIAIR Pro. The same would be true if I was using a computer instead of the AAP.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics