•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bausch and Lomb Spotting Scope

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Steven Allen

Steven Allen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:46 AM

Hello everyone and greetings,

I recently acquired a Bausch and Lomb Spotting Scope. I attached a stock pic of the scope (not my actual scope, but looks the same) with a pic I took near the lens. 

I have a few very ignorant questions to pose. Is the pic with the lens the actual model number? It is just a 20X lens and I want to use the scope to view items more clearly accross the bay 

where I reside that are about 3.5 miles away. I want to know how to find a compatible lens eBay?. Should I go to 60-80X? Does the lens just unscrew and you just screw on the replacement?

Any other input, opinions or comments about the scope you can provide would much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Attached Thumbnails

• scope2.jpg
  • telescope.jpg

#2 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:50 PM

Welcome to C/N! welcome.gif

What you have is considered a "classic" but some would just say an old spotting scope. There are a few things to inspect before you try to improve what have. First, inspect the front lens called the objective. Does it appear clear with no signs of abuse or wear? No lens fungus that looks like spider webs? The picture you shared is of a scope in very rough condition. If the objective is in similar condition, I recommend stopping here and use "as is." Investing in a better eyepiece lens will not likely improve the views. However, if the objective is in much better shape than the body of the scope then replacing the eyepiece might be possible. Finding one that will thread right might be difficult to impossible. Good luck! 

Another consideration is what you are trying to achieve with this scope. Looking through 3.5 miles of surface air will rarely yield a steady or satisfactory image. High power eyepieces work better at magnifying objects/subjects that are much closer. Think of a bird that is 200 yards away. It would be very hard to see details naked eye but with a good binocular or spotting scope, the bird appears to be right next to you. Take that same bird at a distance of 3.5 miles away and the best spotting scope in the world will not give you a good image. The combination of heat waves and air currents will destroy the image. Hopefully, this helps you with your decisions. thinking1.gif  

#3 Steven Allen

Steven Allen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:05 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Let me address your questions one at a time:

First, inspect the front lens called the objective. Does it appear clear with no signs of abuse or wear? No lens fungus that looks like spider webs?

No issues whatsoever. The scope is an actually very good condition. I was lazy on the pic. 

Replacing the eyepiece might be possible. Finding one that will thread right might be difficult to impossible.

What model should I look for? Is that the model number on the lens pic I attached?

High power eyepieces work better at magnifying objects/subjects that are much closer

The lens is 20X . What magnification would you suggest as the highest that I should try and find that will yield best results?

#4 Ulmer Spatz

Ulmer Spatz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croaker, Virginia

Posted 28 June 2022 - 05:39 AM

What you called "the lens pic" does not show the lens, but what I think is the focusing knob. While looking through a spotting scope, you rotate a focusing knob clockwise or counterclockwise to bring the image into sharp focus.

The lens (or better: eyepiece) is the small cylinder with the glass in the middle at the very rear of the instrument. To change the magnification of your scope, you would have to remove this eyepiece and replace it with one of shorter focal length. (Magnification = focal length of front objective lens divided by focal length of eyepiece).

I don't know if the eyepiece on your scope is easily removable or not, or if eyepieces with a shorter focal length were ever available for this scope. 

Edited by Ulmer Spatz, 28 June 2022 - 07:04 AM.

#5 Steven Allen

Steven Allen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:06 PM

Hi Ulmer,

Thanks for the clarity. Is the number noted on the focusing knob the likely model number? Assuming I can remove the eyepiece can you comment on what magnification you can suggest to yield better results than the 20X currently installed? Thank you!

#6 Noto

Noto

Vostok 1

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:45 PM

Is the number noted on the focusing knob the likely model number?

That looks like a serial number, not a model number. The letters P T aren't aligned, which makes me think of serial number stamping on brass instruments (it's never perfect), and 6493 wouldn't make sense for a 20x80 spotting scope.

#7 Ulmer Spatz

Ulmer Spatz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:45 PM

As others have said, increasing magnification might not have the results you wish for. The field of view would be smaller, making objects more difficult to find. The object you want to see would be dimmer and appear less sharp at higher magnifications. It's also likely that the tripod cannot handle higher magnifications. A slight tremor at 20x could become a frustrating shake at 60x. Not sure I would even consider going through the trouble of modifying this scope. 

Edited by Ulmer Spatz, 29 June 2022 - 06:11 AM.

#8 Noto

Noto

Vostok 1

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:50 PM

Found this - when extrapolating, it looks like PT6493 would mean it was manufactured in 1958 (P), it's telescopic (T), and it was the 6493rd scope made that year.

Could be wrong of course...

#9 Steven Allen

Steven Allen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2022 - 11:14 PM

Thanks to all for the comments and input. So, instead of modifying this scope what would be a possible alternative scope that would enable me to view a strip of land 3 miles away and be able to actually see objects close up? Separately, what do you think the value of this scope is if it were to listed for sale on eBay? Since I cannot find a model number the description for sale makes it a bit challenging.  I might use the proceeds to step up to a better scope that can accomplish my goals. 

Thanks again! 

#10 Ulmer Spatz

Ulmer Spatz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2022 - 06:10 AM

The scope seems to go by the moniker BALScope. I found two ebay listings priced around USD 150.

https://www.ebay.com...FkAAOSw0cVh8Wz8

https://www.ebay.com...CoAAOSwgNJh8B3H

You posted in an astronomy forum. I'm thinking you want a scope for your strip of land, but also for the stars. Is this so?  

#11 Steven Allen

Steven Allen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 01:01 PM

Michael,

Yes, both. The informatiion you provided has been most helpful. MANY thanks!!!!

#12 Ulmer Spatz

Ulmer Spatz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2022 - 01:36 PM

If it were me, I would get an astronomical telescope that can be turned temporarily into an acceptable scope for land viewing by fitting an image erecting device and perhaps a 45-degree diagonal. Turning a spotting scope into a pleasant-to-use astronomical scope is more difficult. 

Orion telescopes does offer a 20-60x zoom spotting scope with a variable viewing angle and the usual (for spotting scopes) erect image. This could work for you. But since I have no personal experience with this scope, it's not a recommendation. Good luck!

https://www.telescop...60/p/116416.uts

#13 Steven Allen

Steven Allen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2022 - 02:27 AM

Thank you Michael for the generosity of your time. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics