•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter, June 27 2022, C9.25

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:40 PM

I'm pretty happy with my first Jupiter image of the season. Nice conditions and at 34° above the horizon, Jupiter is already better placed before sunrise than recent years.

While recording, mock orange blossom fell on me and the laptop at a steady rate, and I had to frequently clear the keyboard (and my hair). At least the dew shield also works well as a blossom shield. Otherwise, these summer pre-dawn recording sessions are my favourite - I especially enjoy the morning bird song that accompanies these sessions. This was only my second attempt, as the combination of cloudy weather and low planets meant yesterday was my first day getting out the scope. Seeing was poor yesterday, but at least it gave me a chance to practice setting things up before my first recording today.

I also captured Saturn, but I'm still processing that so it will get its own topic later.

2022-06-27-1146_8b.png

Nexstar Evolution 9.25, with 2x Barlow and ADC. ASI224MC camera.

Edited by KiwiRay, 27 June 2022 - 02:28 PM.

• Sunspot, Magellanico, tboss70 and 34 others like this

#2 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:50 PM

Excellent image. I agree the morning hours are quite pleasant.
  • KiwiRay and mayhem13 like this

#3 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Aurora

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:03 PM

I'm pretty happy with my first Jupiter image of the season. Nice conditions and at 32° above the horizon, Jupiter is already better placed before sunrise than recent years.

While recording, mock orange blossom fell on me and the laptop at a steady rate, and I had to frequently clear the keyboard (and my hair). At least the dew shield also works well as a blossom shield. Otherwise, these summer pre-dawn recording sessions are my favourite - I especially enjoy the morning bird song that accompanies these sessions. This was only my second attempt, as the combination of cloudy weather and low planets meant yesterday was my first day getting out the scope. Seeing was poor yesterday, but at least it gave me a chance to practice setting things up before my first recording today.

I also captured Saturn, but I'm still processing that so it will get its own topic later.

2022-06-27-1146_8b.png

Nexstar Evolution 9.25, with 2x Barlow and ADC. ASI224MC camera.

Great image.
  • KiwiRay likes this

#4 gfstallin

gfstallin

Apollo

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:09 PM

I'm always amazed by your results from data captured in what could only be described as conditions that are far from ideal. And don't be mistaken, I'm not saying "this image is good for Seattle." Detailed and visually pleasing, this image is just good, full stop. 

George

• KiwiRay and dcaponeii like this

#5 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:11 PM

A wonderful image.
My wife and I recently spent the last 7-8 weeks in the Fraser Valley (east of Vancouver) and in Alberta. The weather was the pits with cloudy conditions and occasional rain or showers much of the time. Never really even saw a star! But I saw the forecast for after we left for sunny weather and temps soaring into the low 30’s (this implies an upper ridge over the west). From family, I heard it has arrived - summer has arrived for you. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Cheers Paul

Edited by Kiwi Paul, 27 June 2022 - 02:18 PM.

• KiwiRay likes this

#6 Tulloch

Tulloch

Skylab

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 27 June 2022 - 06:17 PM

Fantastic results (for both Jupiter and Saturn) Ray, good to see you out there again with the Evo 9.25. With the planets rising in elevation at your location you should be in for a good season smile.gif.

Now, if only the rain and clouds would move away here...

Edited by Tulloch, 27 June 2022 - 06:17 PM.

• KiwiRay likes this

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 27 June 2022 - 06:45 PM

Excellent outcome Ray - some very nice, fine detail in the N&S EB's! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

• KiwiRay likes this

#8 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the comments matt, dcaponeii, George, Paul, Andrew and Darryl! It's nice to be back into again.

Paul: Yes, summer has arrived at last, with temps above 30C today and yesterday. This weather often brings some good seeing, but marine weather returns tomorrow so it'll be at least a couple of days before I can try again. Hopefully I can get Mars next time - I just ran out of time before sunrise today.

Andrew: We've had rain and clouds pretty much all spring, but that's OK as the planets have been too low before sunrise until recently anyway. Hopefully better weather is more frequent from now on.

• CeeKay and Tulloch like this

#9 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 27 June 2022 - 08:39 PM

Very nice Ray,  Not many have had great seeing lately so your image helped by your masterful processing skills still stands out. I find Jupiter fascinating in the detail,the changes between  years in the prominence  of different  features and even in the different  color renditions that are posted.

Some signs, of a change in the Canberra weather here as well. Last night was unusually clear and seeing looked decent, and while I could not stay up for planetary work last night (Mark ; Lacaille may have?), I hope to be back in business soon. 

• KiwiRay and Kiwi Paul like this

#10 Johnnycarter22

Johnnycarter22

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tin Top And Uvalde Texas

Posted 27 June 2022 - 08:52 PM

This is a beautiful image, well done indeed.

• KiwiRay likes this

#11 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:44 AM

Thank you for the kind comment, Ross. Not sure about masterful, but I've worked out a process that gives me results I like, and I'm glad others like them too.

Looking forward to seeing your images this year too. Jupiter is well positioned for pretty much the whole world right now (except perhaps for polar regions), so we should be getting some great images from both northern and southern hemispheres this year.

Edited by KiwiRay, 28 June 2022 - 08:10 AM.

#12 mayhem13

mayhem13

Apollo

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 28 June 2022 - 05:52 AM

Very Nice Ray! I too love the morning before first light.

• KiwiRay likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics