•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Marking a driveway for telescopes location

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rcol

rcol

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 06:51 PM

I have A-scope on a wheel Dolly I wish to be able to place it in the same exact location every time on it has fallen the time I'm asphalt driveway what could I use to mark a location such as it is repeatable I'm thinking a cup that the wheels could roll into or something similar I don't know what are you doing

#2 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Apollo

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:09 PM

Day Glo hobby paint.  Downside is you need to repaint approx monthly.

#3 cougarone

cougarone

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Audobon and Paupack, PA

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:54 PM

Paint on each side of the dolly pegs (as long as it is your driveway, it’s only a driveway)

#4 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Otisco lake. Ny

Posted 27 June 2022 - 08:10 PM

Move your scope to its spot ..draw a circle with chalk where it sits ( wheels or leveling pins) 

Get a hammer and chisel .. make an X at each spot 1/4 in into the pave .. 

Then pour a small cap of your color paint in the X , let dry ..

Hint here , do it on a HOT DAY, the paint will dry near instantly and your marks will be there a long long time ..

Works on concrete as well . 

Stevegeo 

• drprovi57 likes this

#5 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 27 June 2022 - 08:19 PM

I have A-scope on a wheel Dolly I wish to be able to place it in the same exact location every time on it has fallen the time I'm asphalt driveway what could I use to mark a location such as it is repeatable I'm thinking a cup that the wheels could roll into or something similar I don't know what are you doing

Driveways are heat-sinks.  The asphalt collects lots of heat in the day, radiates it at night making generally for pretty poor seeing conditions year-round.  Think:  Backyard or even front lawn instead.  But, I can understand using a driveway if your view of a part of the sky is obscured otherwise.

• ausastronomer likes this

#6 rcol

rcol

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 08:30 PM

i dont have much choice, i suppose light colored concrete is better?

#7 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 29 June 2022 - 01:55 AM

Concrete is a terrible heat sink, even the light coloured stuff. Your seeing will be poor.

#8 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 29 June 2022 - 10:13 PM

You might be able to better your stargazing on cement with the use of a large piece of outdoor carpet that you deployed hours before dark to block a lot of heat absorption.

#9 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Vanguard

• Loc: Shoalhaven Heads NSW (Australia)

Posted 30 June 2022 - 12:32 AM

As others have said, try your hardest to find somewhere other than asphalt or concrete to put it.  Grass is the best, but bare dirt is better than concrete, asphalt or gravel.

If you can't avoid the concrete or asphalt, give it a really good hose down once the sun has set before you wheel the scope out and set up.

Cheers

• mikerepp likes this

#10 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Vanguard

• Loc: Shoalhaven Heads NSW (Australia)

Posted 30 June 2022 - 12:35 AM

You might be able to better your stargazing on cement with the use of a large piece of outdoor carpet that you deployed hours before dark to block a lot of heat absorption.

That could be worth a try, but it might also work like a thermal blanket and make it even worse.  You'd have to try that out.

Cheers

#11 mikerepp

mikerepp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harwood Heights, Illinois, dark site Manistique, Michigan in UP

Posted 30 June 2022 - 06:11 AM

If I must observe on concrete I water it down with a hose first.  After that I will throw a rug down to observe on.

• tommm likes this

#12 sctbrd

sctbrd

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Rep

Posted 30 June 2022 - 06:43 AM

I use duct tape on my concrete paver terrace. Stands up to rain and sun pretty well.

You could drive roofing nail into warm asphalt to mark locations, or use some metal disc with tabs sticking out the back.

#13 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 30 June 2022 - 08:02 AM

I set my gear out on a small section of concrete pad next to our patio. It gets a lot of shade late in the day, so heat is never a problem. I originally marked my spot with permanent markers or crayons and that worked well. I later made 3 small detents with a cement drill. That has turned into a permanent solution. I'd be tempted to try something similar on asphalt (my front driveway is also asphalt). It doesn't take much, just a dimple. This would be easy for you to see without making obvious spots on your driveway.
  • mikerepp likes this

#14 Don H

Don H

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Near Tucson, AZ

Posted 01 July 2022 - 03:34 PM

When I was using my pato to observe back in NW IN, I would hose it down once or twice, about an hour or more prior to viewing. To decide if I rinsed it enough, I would just bend down and touch it with my fingers. If it was still warm to touch, it got another soaking. I don't think it ever took more than 2 rinses, and was almost always cool to touch after a good first hosing. The patio was 12x12, so looking out over the backyard, it was all grass, up until the neighbors' rooftops. On rare occasions, I would set up on our asphalt driveway out front. Pretty much did the same thing, although for the first round, I could tell when it was cooling off as the rinse would cause steam to lift off the surface until it cooled down. I liked to rinse the driveway down routinely anyway, after cutting the grass or to keep the coating looking good. If you want to mark the driveway where the wheels should go, you could use a piece of chalk, and then dent the asphalt with a mallet or hammer. Those dents might end up holding ice or snow in the winter, so maybe a nail or paint is best.

• mikerepp likes this

#15 epee

epee

Aurora

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 01 July 2022 - 03:44 PM

From my concrete driveway I've seen clouds gathering around Ascraeus Mons, and fog rolling into Valles Marineris. The heat escaping a concrete drive might diminish the seeing, but it definately doesn't make it "poor".

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics