•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Marking a driveway for telescopes location

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rcol

rcol

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 06:51 PM

I have A-scope on a wheel Dolly I wish to be able to place it in the same exact location every time on it has fallen the time I'm asphalt driveway what could I use to mark a location such as it is repeatable I'm thinking a cup that the wheels could roll into or something similar I don't know what are you doing

#2 Zednik

Zednik

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:03 PM

I observe from my paver patio. I chose paint that's very close to the color of the pavers, it's hardly noticeable. I don't have to deal with a hill or anything like that, so it works pretty good for me.

You could heat the exact area with a propane torch then press the indentations with an iron wheel or a socket you don't like. The torch will discolor that area of the pavement, but you could touch that up with black paint or driveway sealer.

You have a great idea, I marked the patio 5 years ago maybe longer. This has saved a lot of set up time!

Good luck with your project!

#3 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:28 PM

Maybe you could get cut small stripes of outdoor glow-in-the-dark tape and stick them on the pavement where you want the wheels to go.  You could then even roll it out at night and see the spots.

• Xeroid likes this

#4 Oyaji

Oyaji

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Illinois, USA

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:28 PM

Spray paint is your friend.  

#5 hamishbarker

hamishbarker

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:45 PM

For my celestron tripod which had fairly small conical points, I used a large masonry drill to make 3 shallow indentations so that it was always in the same location and no polar adjustments were necessary. now i have a losmandy which has much bigger ends to the tripod legs, so this doesn't work.

#6 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:57 PM

Just an idea:  If you found 3 large stainless steel fender washers with center holes large enough for your tripod ends/wheels, you could set them in place with Tapcon screws (masonry screws) or nails shot from a masonry gun.  The screws/nails would go through 2-3 smaller holes that you drilled in the washers.  This would be weather resistant and would not harm tires driving across the fasteners.

Since this is nearly permanent, you'd want to first mark the spots with spray paint which will eventually wear away.

Edited by kfiscus, 27 June 2022 - 07:59 PM.

• Xeroid likes this

#7 BrushPilot

BrushPilot

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Star, Alberta

Posted 27 June 2022 - 08:40 PM

You may not have the option but I'd highly recommend not setting up over asphalt if it can be avoided – too much thermal bloom even well after sundown.

I understand you're on wheels but if you can wheel onto grass I'd suggest it. 

When I had to haul a rig out each night I dug empty cans into the grass, levelled them and then glopped some Bag-crete from the building supply place. When it was close to being set I placed the tripod onto them to make dimples. You might be able to do that with casters – maybe with bigger cans. The cans are flush to the grass so it's mowable and not unsightly.

After the cement was set, I polar aligned accurately and each subsequent night I just had to pop in an eyepiece and get viewing.

This might give you an even better idea for your locale.

Good luck...

• eyeoftexas likes this

#8 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

Optical Research Engineer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon, South Western Coast

Posted 28 June 2022 - 02:15 AM

It has been reported on the Oregon web site that covering the asphalt with a tarp could reduce the thermal effects (it was just tried

over the past weekend, it has been hot in Oregon.

I would suggest using a roofing nail, labeled the heads with red or orange nail polish. I used this for my layout. It was also used 

to mark property lines. 

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics