•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Noise from motors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BeachsideNJ

BeachsideNJ

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:10 PM

I have a new Edge HD Evolution that I use from an outside deck to my house. I am getting complaints from surrounding neighbors that the noise produced by my mount when it slews is pretty annoying. I want to keep using the deck and scope without the complaints, so I was wondering if anyone has had any success quieting the motor noise down?

I've got the StarSense on my scope and it slews at the highest speed, creating the most noise. I don't see a way to change the slew speed for alignments thinking maybe some way to damp the noise down some other way. Appreciate any thoughts.

Edited by BeachsideNJ, 27 June 2022 - 07:11 PM.

#2 Fegato

Fegato

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Llanfynydd, Carmarthen, Wales

Posted 29 June 2022 - 02:32 AM

Yes it's pretty noisy - this was my first scope, and the guy selling it was doing so because of neighbours complaining about the noise! It wasn't an issue for me, so I never did anything about it, but I found this post that claims you can change the Go To slew speed (as well as manual slews) - no idea if that would help or not?

https://www.cloudyni...and-controller/

After a coupe of years I replaced the Evo with a CEM40 to focus on imaging, and it's so much quieter!

• steveincolo likes this

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Somewhere Northwest of Surprise Arizona

Posted 29 June 2022 - 10:52 AM

You can utilize "Custom Rate 9" to slow the slew rate and to lessen the motor noise. Go to the "Utilities" section and scroll down to "Custom Rate 9". You can adjutst the individual speed rate for either axis.

Stan

• Castor and Old Speckled Hen like this

#4 Old Speckled Hen

Old Speckled Hen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 56.4451° N, 3.1670° W

Posted 29 June 2022 - 01:02 PM

You could also organise a few frat parties just to remind them to keep their noses out of your business.

Or run your scope of a petrol generator whilst standing on your deck mouthing "I can't hear you" and cupping your ear with your hand.

Edited by Old Speckled Hen, 29 June 2022 - 01:04 PM.

• gnowellsct, rhaskins, 2Barrel and 1 other like this

#5 BeachsideNJ

BeachsideNJ

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2022 - 08:49 PM

Thanks all! I think the frat party idea would be the most fun, but I do appreciate the custom rate 9 comment. I will give this a shot next time the generator runs out of petrol (fuel for us non-proper english speaking americans) lol....now I just need a clear sky!!

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

Posted 09 July 2022 - 01:01 AM

You might try carefully wrapping it in some kind of sound proofing (as well as slowing it down).  Care must be taken not to interfere with movement.

GN

#7 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• Loc: US

Posted 09 July 2022 - 07:31 AM

I have a new Edge HD Evolution that I use from an outside deck to my house. I am getting complaints from surrounding neighbors that the noise produced by my mount when it slews is pretty annoying. I want to keep using the deck and scope without the complaints, so I was wondering if anyone has had any success quieting the motor noise down?

I've got the StarSense on my scope and it slews at the highest speed, creating the most noise. I don't see a way to change the slew speed for alignments thinking maybe some way to damp the noise down some other way. Appreciate any thoughts.

You can, as above, reduce the slewing speed. 

But...well...the Evolution isn't overly loud. Not at all. If your neighbors are gonna complain about that, they will likely complain about anything

Best solution is sometimes "nod, smile, ignore."  Followed, if necessary, by "And I'm tired of your dog barking." lol.gif gramps.gif

• Paul Hyndman, MarkMittlesteadt and CeeKay like this

#8 jeffmac

jeffmac

Apollo

• Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 13 July 2022 - 10:21 PM

If the Evolution is as quiet as my Nexstar GPS scope, then Rod may have described the situation accurately. I couldn't imagine anyone complaining about the motor noise in my scope. A Meade LX200 is another story.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics