•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I purchased a Nexstar 4SE without a tripod

Tripod Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bob-Tim

Bob-Tim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 11:58 PM

I purchased a Nexstar 4SE on Ebay without a tripod. I already have a 4GT with a suitable tripod, but the electronics of the 4SE are better. However, I'm wondering if the 4GT's tripod will be suitable for the 4SE, so perhaps I can sell the 4GT cheap for someone willing to use that scope on a table top. (I don't have the SE yet, so I suppose I'll find out what the situation will be.) But if someone more familiar with these instruments would like to give me some advice, it would be welcome.

#2 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:38 AM

I don't know the 4GT, but I sold my 4SE. The 4SE OTE is a decent 4" Mak-Cass, albeit limited by flip-mirror rather than diagonal, but its original tripod is a poor unstable Alt-Az with a crude, imprecise built in wedge. It never cost-jusfified upgrading the tripod, but I always felt it the weak link. If you can find a decent replacement tripod (given you have bought only OTA) , it is certainly good as a lightweight small grab & go portable travel scope, but for other purposes its small aperture and long focal length is limiting. Sorry, I don't know the 4GT, so I can't comment on the suitability of its tripod. Not sure what you mean about the 4SE having better electronics. If you have only bought OTA, then it won't come with any electronics unless you mean you also have the mount?

#3 TomH1954

TomH1954

Vostok 1

• Loc: Paris, Arkansas

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:23 AM

The 4gt tripod will work with the 4se.

#4 rcooley

rcooley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Fe, NM

Posted 05 July 2022 - 07:12 PM

Hm…, well, I’ve had this scope for years. I purchased an adapter so that I could mount a digonal at the rear and it works perfectly. I’m actually one of those guys who enjoys seeing things thru the telescope the same way I see them with my own eyes, so invested in a Williams Optics “correct image” digonal and I’ve never looked back.  As for the tripod you have, I would just say try it. The 4se weighs next to nothing so if it compares to the weight of the scope you were using before then go for it. As for the 4se dedicated mount and tripod. I’ve never had an issues with it. It’s a fairly simple Alt/Az goto, but utilizing auto two star alignment, I’ve never had a problem with it finding it’s target.  Full disclosure, I’m doing EAA these days with my Evo8” and Asiair, but will still pull out the 4se for travel and car camping, and it’s like hanging with an old friend. Cheers

#5 Bob-Tim

Bob-Tim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2022 - 07:35 PM

The tripod I was using with the 4GT worked fine with the 4SE after I received it. The used SE came without any documentation, so now I'm going to look for that. 

#6 JMP

JMP

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2022 - 04:33 PM

Celestron manuals are available on line: https://s3.amazonaws...11049manual.pdf

Also check out the info at Nexstarsite.com

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tripod, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics