•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon Action Ex 10x50 model ID

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 clengman

clengman

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:08 AM

I recently scored a pair of Nikon AE 10x50s for a very good price. I'm curious about when they were made and if there has been much change in design or quality since they were introduced.

Is there any information in the serial number, or any identifying marks to distinguish units from different manufacturers or production runs?

#2 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2022 - 10:26 AM

Originally made in Japan, production moved to China a few years ago. no doubt to save money and improve profit margin? , coatings on the China version not as good as the Japanese ones, Fully multi coated as against fully coated(China) ,Dave.

Edited by Binojunky, 28 June 2022 - 10:28 AM.

• Astronoob76 likes this

#3 clengman

clengman

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:12 PM

Thanks! Is there anything to tell one from the other? Is the color of the coatings different?

Edited by clengman, 28 June 2022 - 03:16 PM.

#4 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 June 2022 - 09:33 AM

Thanks! Is there anything to tell one from the other? Is the color of the coatings different?

Not really, the box has China made on it but not on the binocular, design pretty well stayed the same, hard to say about coatings, as the years pass coatings are changed from time to time, even the current version( I have the 8x40 action extreme) is a good binocular for the money.

It has to be remembered that the A.E. series are one step up from the bottom of the range Aculon and are not priced to be a premium instrument, don,fret just enjoy. Nikon have been selling these for decades,Dave.

• Cali and f18dad like this

#5 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 June 2022 - 09:45 AM

Did you look on the underside by the hinge? Need a bright light to find it as the casting in the rubber armor shows on my 8x40AE left side "made in china" is 1/16 "x 3/4". Mine is perhaps 3-4 yr old.   Regards, Pat

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics