•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Planet color is false when using a mono planetary camera?

Software Imaging Planet Astrophotography CMOS CCD Equipment Filters
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Aman Dude

Aman Dude

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: U.S.A.

Posted 28 June 2022 - 10:58 AM

When I used a monochrome camera with RGB filters and took the red, green, and blue channels and put them together in Photoshop, the color was purple and blue. I used Auto Color in photoshop and messed with levels, but nothing seems to be working.

I DID adjust gain in the image acquisitioning stage when I switched between channels, could this cause it? Or is there another problem? Is there any way to fix it?

Thanks!

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 28 June 2022 - 11:09 AM

Adjusting gain wont matter, but if you adjusted gamma that could have messed things. You can adjust it back though, but it might take trial and error. See if the capture logs show a gamma other than 50 (which is 'off' for zwo cameras anyway).

#3 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 28 June 2022 - 11:14 AM

Planetary color with ANY camera/display is very subjective.

If you're imaging something like Jupiter and your result appears purple and blue, perhaps you switched two (or all three) of the channels?

#4 Tapio

Tapio

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 28 June 2022 - 11:15 AM

Did you take video of each channel ?

And did you use Autostakkert or Registax to stack the videos ?

They have tools for color calibration.

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 28 June 2022 - 07:43 PM

in P/shop you first select "Image>Mode>Grayscale> Discard colour info" for each image you drag & drop into P/shop.

You need the "Channels" tab open on the right hand side after you've applied the preceding to each of the r, g & b images.

Click on the little down tab to the right of "Channels" & select "Merge Channels" & select "RGB color" from the drop-down window & click "OK".

Then when the next drop-down window opens you might like to check that each mono image is correctly entered as the r, g & b channels before clicking "OK" for the colour combination result that occurs. (if you loaded each image in the sequence r-g-b this will be automatically correct, but  you might like to check each first before hitting  that final "OK" ;)

• RedLionNJ likes this

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 28 June 2022 - 07:45 PM

ps: wide variations in gain can influence the colour outcome btw - if you follow the steps in my post above & the problem still exists, this gain difference is a likely cause!

#7 CPellier

CPellier

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2022 - 05:08 AM

What filters did you used ?

Gain does not matter since the colour balance can be adjusted during the processing as much as one need.

Another problem would be an error in the filters used. For example if you forgot to shift from green to blue... 

Edited by CPellier, 29 June 2022 - 05:09 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Software, Imaging, Planet, Astrophotography, CMOS, CCD, Equipment, Filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics