•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ISS On 25 Jun 2022 - Noisy Single Frame Only...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Quaternion

Quaternion

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 28 June 2022 - 11:16 AM

It has been a year or so since I've posted anything on this forum, but I finally managed to get my astrophotography rig (see sig) out and decided to try and image the ISS. I had a software issue that dropped my frame rate from 72fps to 10fps resulting in the inability to stack frames to boost the SNR.  The best I could manage was one noisy single frame of the ISS. Interestingly enough, when I looked closely at the image, I think that I could now see the "new" Redwire ISS Roll Out Solar Array (iROSA) installed in Jun 2021 over the original SA panel on the bottom of the image. I suspect the Russian Progress 81 is on the middle left, and that the SpaceX Crew-4 Dragon is on the middle right. Northrop Grumman's Cygnus CRS-17 is probably on the back side and is not visible, though it did just re-boost the ISS while docked for the first time!

The image was captured through my 10in Dob running at f/11.75 on a 2nd Gen Pregius IMX250 global shutter camera with a 0.6ms integration time at about 25% gain. I think I will drop to f/9.4 and increase exposure to 0.75ms next time to increase SNR and the FOV, at the expense of a bit of resolution...

Attached Thumbnails

• ISS_25Jun2022_Dob10inF12_IMX250_0p6ms_25pGain_SingleFrame.jpg

Edited by Quaternion, 28 June 2022 - 11:17 AM.

• John Miele, Dennis_Oz, Kenny V. and 26 others like this

#2 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 28 June 2022 - 11:18 AM

bow.gif Wow!! Just wow!! Amazing details! 

• Quaternion likes this

#3 Mikeiss

Mikeiss

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tucson

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:09 PM

From that perspective it really looks like a Tie fighter. Awesome shot!

#4 Jim in PA

Jim in PA

Viking 1

• Loc: NE PA and Middle of Nowhere, AZ

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:26 PM

Looks great!

#5 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Citizen of the earth .

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:33 PM

Splendide image. 

• Quaternion likes this

#6 John Miele

John Miele

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:19 PM

Absolutely amazing image! Sooooo cool!waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

• Quaternion likes this

#7 Aquat0ne

Aquat0ne

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:44 PM

Looks really good. You can see so much detail.
  • Quaternion likes this

#8 Borodog

Borodog

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2022 - 04:30 PM

Great image. No stacking required.

• Quaternion and Sarciness like this

#9 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:06 PM

Awesome shot!

• Quaternion likes this

#10 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Aurora

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 28 June 2022 - 10:09 PM

It has been a year or so since I've posted anything on this forum, but I finally managed to get my astrophotography rig (see sig) out and decided to try and image the ISS. I had a software issue that dropped my frame rate from 72fps to 10fps resulting in the inability to stack frames to boost the SNR.  The best I could manage was one noisy single frame of the ISS. Interestingly enough, when I looked closely at the image, I think that I could now see the "new" Redwire ISS Roll Out Solar Array (iROSA) installed in Jun 2021 over the original SA panel on the bottom of the image. I suspect the Russian Progress 81 is on the middle left, and that the SpaceX Crew-4 Dragon is on the middle right. Northrop Grumman's Cygnus CRS-17 is probably on the back side and is not visible, though it did just re-boost the ISS while docked for the first time!

The image was captured through my 10in Dob running at f/11.75 on a 2nd Gen Pregius IMX250 global shutter camera with a 0.6ms integration time at about 25% gain. I think I will drop to f/9.4 and increase exposure to 0.75ms next time to increase SNR and the FOV, at the expense of a bit of resolution...

I would like to thank you for posting this image.  It got me to thinking about looking back at my recent captures to see if there were some individual frames that could be recovered that were better than stacking short segments of data.  Looks like I'm finding several.  It's getting late for me here but I'll try and update my posts tomorrow with some single frame images.  Still not as good as yours and certainly not as good as Tom Glenn's but I'm fairly happy with the results to date.  Coming to a two-week gap before next opportunities.  Perhaps I'll have another go.

• Quaternion likes this

#11 R Botero

R Botero

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 29 June 2022 - 03:08 AM

Great shot! 👍

Roberto
  • Quaternion likes this

#12 Quaternion

Quaternion

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 29 June 2022 - 03:50 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I hope to get out there and shoot some planets soon too.

Dcaponeli, It always seems that there is one consecutive string  of images that is the sharpest, and one image out of that which is the best in my captures of the ISS. I think it depends on the timing of the seeing combined with the elevation. Good luck !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics