•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First solar outreach

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ubcastro

ubcastro

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Vancouver, BC

Posted 28 June 2022 - 11:24 AM

I attempted my first solar outreach this past Sunday, a beautiful, clear, hot day, using the UBC Astronomy Club's new APM 140 refractor and Daystar Quark. 

I don't yet have a solar finder, so finding the sun took me far too long, but thankfully once found, my mount was gracious enough to track :)

Great prominences and lots of detail in the chromosphere to admire. Around ~70 or so people came by and some people were very impressed. 

Attached Thumbnails

• kids.jpg
  • kid.jpg

• Ljubo, mdowns, ddegroot and 2 others like this

#2 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 07 July 2022 - 11:21 AM

To center the sun quickly, look at the shadow of the scope. When the shadow is almost round, you should see what looks like a single diffaction ring on the ground. Center it around the shadow, and the sun should be in or close to the fov of a low power eyepiece.
  • mdowns likes this

#3 ubcastro

ubcastro

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Vancouver, BC

Posted 07 July 2022 - 11:29 AM

I tried using the shadow, but it still took a while to centre. At 129X magnification (980mm focal length, 4.2X barlow, 32mm plossl), it's not so easy to find the sun. Ordered a solar finder though!

#4 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:53 PM

I use a 40mm eyepiece. Another option is to make a small filter for your finder. I used to have one, but some kid stole it.
  • fizicksteacher and ubcastro like this

#5 fizicksteacher

fizicksteacher

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio

Posted 16 July 2022 - 10:04 PM

I use a 40mm eyepiece. Another option is to make a small filter for your finder. I used to have one, but some kid stole it.

That is a great idea. Thank you.

#6 Ron-Fr

Ron-Fr

U.S.S. Enterprise

• -----
  • Loc: Way too close to Paris, France

Posted 17 July 2022 - 06:34 AM

That's scary. If a kid can steal it, it means that a kid can remove it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics