•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Suggested Alt/Az Mount for SW 100ED Refractor

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 StarDustWizard

StarDustWizard

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2022 - 02:47 PM

Hi all, I'm about to purchase a SW 100ED scope and am trying to figure out which Alt / Az mount might work best.  I've been considering an AZ5, Porta II, and Twilight I.   I don't see any in stock listings of the AZ5 or Porta II so may just get the Twilight I but not sure it will work well w/ the f9 scope.  

Any thoughts / suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Johnnycarter22 likes this

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 June 2022 - 02:55 PM

Since you didn't mention a budget, here are some options in no particular order.  All are very good mounts and will handle your new scope.  I have a SV M2 and use the AT115EDT on it with ease.

https://www.stellarvue.com/m2/

http://www.discmounts.com/home.html

http://www.rowanastr...y.com/index.htm

http://www.desertskyastro.com

https://store-losman...tstores.com/az8

• StarDustWizard likes this

#3 vtornado

vtornado

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:10 PM

I do not like the performance of a 100 f/9 on a TW1 or Portamount.  

It is hard to focus, and if there is a breeze it will shake a lot.

I'm not sure about an AZ5.

I have a universal macro star.  (no longer made) highly recommended.

The stellarvue m2c (looks a lot like the macrostar)  will most likely work.

VT

#4 weis14

weis14

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:20 PM

I agree that you are probably going to need something more substantial than the options you've listed.  I've used a lot of different alt-az mounts over the years and for this size scope, I think many of the options mentioned by eyeoftexas would work.  I currently have a Rowan AZ100 and it is an excellent mount, but probably overkill for a 100mm scope.  The smaller AZ75 would probably work well, but it is new and there are few reviews of it at this point.  It also lacks the AZ100's slow-motion controls, but most mounts in this price range lack them.

The M2C is also a nice mount at its price point.  I had one with encoders for a while and it worked very well with my 90mm refractors.  The DM-4 is nicer than the M2C, especially when changing eyepieces, but also comes with a much higher price.

#5 Bean614

Bean614

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:22 PM

Actually,  the Orion VersaGo-II is acceptable for the 100ED.  I agree totally that the Twilight is NOT a good fit, but I  was perfectly happy with the VersaGo-II for 6 months I had that scope.  At $179, it fits most budgets. 

#6 betacygni

betacygni

Apollo

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:40 PM

The Stellarvue M2C would definitely be my recommendation. It’s a great value, and would hold your scope very well (and in fact even a larger one with a proper tripod, I took mine up to a TSA-120). As a plus it’s one of the few mounts that you can add digital setting circles to, a very useful upgrade.
  • Kutno, NC Startrekker and havasman like this

#7 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:45 PM

As a plus it’s one of the few mounts that you can add digital setting circles to, a very useful upgrade.

All of the mounts listed in Reply #2 can be fitted with DSC's: Nexus on the M2C, Rowan, AZ8, Sky Commander (if you can find one) on the Disc Mounts and Desert Sky mounts.

#8 havasman

havasman

Hubble

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 28 June 2022 - 04:07 PM

The only SW 100ED I ever used was another's and mounted on an M2C it worked great. I had an AT115EDT on that mount with the same results.

• eyeoftexas likes this

#9 db2005

db2005

Apollo

• Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5/6 skies.

Posted 29 June 2022 - 02:04 AM

I have tried the ED100 f/9 on a Vixen Porta and I wasn't satisfied - far too much vibration when exceeding maybe 25x magnification. I also tried it with the AZ5 and steel tripod. That was much better, but I found that I really missed the slow-motion controls. I have since then sold the ED100 but I'm pretty sure it would ride well on my current Scopetech Zero mount, as I have frequently used that mount with a vintage Tak FC-100 which is heavier than the ED100 and only a little shorter. The Zero isn't the cheapest mount but it is rigid and has slow motion control knobs. The mount rides on a Vixen HAL130 tripod (mind you, that's the heavy-duty HAL, not the light weight AL from the Porta mount).

#10 StarDustWizard

StarDustWizard

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2022 - 08:00 AM

Thanks for all the replies and info.  I'm going to research some of these options today.  I should've specified a budget - mainly just trying to stay under $500 for sure.  I should've also specified that I do want slow motion controls.  Anyway, thanks again!

#11 StarDustWizard

StarDustWizard

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2022 - 08:32 AM

After reading up some on the suggested options this morning, I'm thinking the M2C or the Scopetec Zero look like my best options.  The M2C looks like the superior mount (just based on reviews and specs) but it doesn't have slow motion controls like the Zero.  

I'm realizing I underestimated the cost of a nice mount/tripod set up.  I'm actually thinking maybe I should downsize to the 80mm doublet if it would allow me to use something like the Twilight I simply because my current budget might not allow me to get a set up sufficient for the 100mm scope.  

#12 betacygni

betacygni

Apollo

Posted 29 June 2022 - 10:01 AM

After reading up some on the suggested options this morning, I'm thinking the M2C or the Scopetec Zero look like my best options. The M2C looks like the superior mount (just based on reviews and specs) but it doesn't have slow motion controls like the Zero.

I'm realizing I underestimated the cost of a nice mount/tripod set up. I'm actually thinking maybe I should downsize to the 80mm doublet if it would allow me to use something like the Twilight I simply because my current budget might not allow me to get a set up sufficient for the 100mm scope.

Do you own any other scopes currently? 80mm doublets are certainly nice, and will have significantly less mounting requirements, but a lot depends on how you plan to use it. 80mm is great for an additional scope, but I wouldn’t want it to be my primary one. Have you looked into the used market? That extends the budget quite a bit.

#13 StarDustWizard

StarDustWizard

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2022 - 10:09 AM

Do you own any other scopes currently? 80mm doublets are certainly nice, and will have significantly less mounting requirements, but a lot depends on how you plan to use it. 80mm is great for an additional scope, but I wouldn’t want it to be my primary one. Have you looked into the used market? That extends the budget quite a bit.

This is in fact my first legit telescope purchase.  I haven't looked at the used market because of my inexperience and not knowing what potential problems to look out for.  I see what you're saying though.  The 100mm is only like $100 more so I do really want to get the bigger scope - just have to look into some used mounts/tripods possibly. 

#14 betacygni

betacygni

Apollo

Posted 29 June 2022 - 10:16 AM

This is in fact my first legit telescope purchase. I haven't looked at the used market because of my inexperience and not knowing what potential problems to look out for. I see what you're saying though. The 100mm is only like $100 more so I do really want to get the bigger scope - just have to look into some used mounts/tripods possibly.

I can understand your hesitation buying used if you’re just getting into the hobby. That said, mounts and eyepieces are pretty safe bets second hand, not a lot to go wrong with those. Telescope itself is a bit more risky. What’s your total budget? People here love to virtually spend someone else’s money, and we might be able to come up with some good options for you.

#15 StarDustWizard

StarDustWizard

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2022 - 10:26 AM

I can understand your hesitation buying used if you’re just getting into the hobby. That said, mounts and eyepieces are pretty safe bets second hand, not a lot to go wrong with those. Telescope itself is a bit more risky. What’s your total budget? People here love to virtually spend someone else’s money, and we might be able to come up with some good options for you.

Hmm, I was hoping to keep my total purchase (scope plus mount and tripod) to around $1,500 or so.  The SW 100ED is currently $1200 so that was limiting my mount/tripod budget to like $300, which I see now just doesn't seem to be realistic.  So, I'm thinking now if I can get a reliable set up for $2k I'd be willing to do it.

The 80ED plus the Twilight I would fit my original budget but if I could get the 100ED and reliable mount/tripod for a few hundred more dollars I think I'd be happier in the long run.   

#16 betacygni

betacygni

Apollo

Posted 29 June 2022 - 10:42 AM

The SW 100ED plus the Stellarvue M2C would just come under the 2k mark (ignoring taxes), and would be a very good setup, definitely worth the extra cost over an 80mm for your only scope.

Another option is to change scopes and go with the very well respected Astro tech AT102ED, runs $650. Doesn’t include a diagonal, finder, or eyepieces though, which would cut into the savings a bit (can go used on those easily enough however).

I would say definitely spring for a 100mm class scope if it will be your only one, 80mm are good for certain things, but not a great do it all scope.

As always though with someone’s first scope I always have to recommend you consider the classic first scope option nearly everyone recommends (for good reason), an 8”-10” dob. Lots of reasons to like refractors (I own a bunch), so I don’t want to talk you out of one. Just another (and cheaper) option to consider.

#17 John Huntley

John Huntley

Soyuz

• Loc: SW England

Posted 29 June 2022 - 11:19 AM

I find the Skytee II and Giro Ercole mounts handle my 100mm F/9 refractor very well and also my heavier ED120 F/7.5. The lighter mounts such as the Porta II and AZ-4 do OK with my 102mm F/6.5 Vixen but as the tube lengthens with the F/9 focal ratio these lighter mounts struggle to control vibrations at higher magnifications.

#18 StarDustWizard

StarDustWizard

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2022 - 01:26 PM

I find the Skytee II and Giro Ercole mounts handle my 100mm F/9 refractor very well and also my heavier ED120 F/7.5. The lighter mounts such as the Porta II and AZ-4 do OK with my 102mm F/6.5 Vixen but as the tube lengthens with the F/9 focal ratio these lighter mounts struggle to control vibrations at higher magnifications.

The Skytee II looks like a great option as well - thanks for the suggestion.  I like that it has slo mo controls though having the 2 different mount plates might be overkill for me(?).  I need to read up on what folks do w/ double mounted scopes or maybe that other plate is intended for finders(?).  You can see I'm kind of clueless.

#19 StarDustWizard

StarDustWizard

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2022 - 01:30 PM

The SW 100ED plus the Stellarvue M2C would just come under the 2k mark (ignoring taxes), and would be a very good setup, definitely worth the extra cost over an 80mm for your only scope.

Another option is to change scopes and go with the very well respected Astro tech AT102ED, runs $650. Doesn’t include a diagonal, finder, or eyepieces though, which would cut into the savings a bit (can go used on those easily enough however).

I would say definitely spring for a 100mm class scope if it will be your only one, 80mm are good for certain things, but not a great do it all scope.

As always though with someone’s first scope I always have to recommend you consider the classic first scope option nearly everyone recommends (for good reason), an 8”-10” dob. Lots of reasons to like refractors (I own a bunch), so I don’t want to talk you out of one. Just another (and cheaper) option to consider.

I almost did get a dobsonian.  I realize they are a great option to get started but I figured I will use a smaller refractor much more than I would lug out a big dobsonian.  And unfortunately, I don't have a convenient storage space for a dob where I could get it out easily.

#20 John Huntley

John Huntley

Soyuz

• Loc: SW England

Posted 29 June 2022 - 03:41 PM

The Skytee II looks like a great option as well - thanks for the suggestion.  I like that it has slo mo controls though having the 2 different mount plates might be overkill for me(?).  I need to read up on what folks do w/ double mounted scopes or maybe that other plate is intended for finders(?).  You can see I'm kind of clueless.

Some folks mount 2 scopes on them but generally I don't. You could put a finder on the top mounting point - I've seen that done. I use the side mounting point for my refractors which have dedicated finders on them already. The slow motion controls are useful at high magnifications.

#21 Rome

Rome

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 29 June 2022 - 07:48 PM

A Stellarvue M2C works great with a Skywatcher 100ed. I have both and had no issues with the mount handling the long tube of the 100ed. I’ve put the 100ed in storage for now since I picked up another 100mm class refractor that’s a lot shorter and easier for me to carry outside on the mount. Lack of slow motion controls on the MC2 wasn’t an problem using high powers. I also have the Scopetech Mount Zero and it wasn’t stable enough for the 100ed. Too much vibration even at lower powers. Now the Zero works great with a short 80mm, 70mm, and 60mm refractor. If your budget is limited I’d spend more on a better quality mount and then price the telescope. Undermounted scopes aren’t much fun. The AT 102ed is a great option and would pair great with the MC2. 

• betacygni and Xeroid like this

#22 russell23

russell23

Hubble

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 30 June 2022 - 06:04 AM

If you see one pop up in the classifieds, a Vixen SuperPolaris mount can be set into alt-azimuth mode by loosening one Allen screw and dropping the axis.  Once you’ve done that you have an alt-azimuth mount with locks on both axes and slow motion controls.  It handles my 102mm f/11 ED refractor with  vibrations when focusing on the 2” steel tripod. With the wooden legs there are some vibrations but nothing like what you get with a Porta II class mount.  

I’ve used 120mm and 140mm refractors on it as well with a more rugged wooden tripod than pictured and vibrations were very manageable. 

The challenge is you have to wait for one to pop up used.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails

• 9EBE20B9-5DDC-4DA8-BEA2-EFCE5CB2EC8F.jpeg

• Terry Smith likes this

#23 StarDustWizard

StarDustWizard

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 10:50 AM

I think I'm leaning toward a Stellarvue M2C with column and steel tripod (complete set up is $747 on their site) along with the AT102ED.  By the time I buy the accessories that currently come w/ the SW100ED (diagonal, 2 eye pieces, finder scope and case) it looks like the AT will still be the less costly option by a couple hundred dollars or so.  Thanks for everyone's input - VERY much appreciated. 

I had originally planned on having slow motion controls but from what I've read lately, the stability of the mount and tripod are much more important than having the slower controls.

• JimP, Rome and John Huntley like this

#24 russell23

russell23

Hubble

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 30 June 2022 - 11:53 AM

I think I'm leaning toward a Stellarvue M2C with column and steel tripod (complete set up is $747 on their site) along with the AT102ED.  By the time I buy the accessories that currently come w/ the SW100ED (diagonal, 2 eye pieces, finder scope and case) it looks like the AT will still be the less costly option by a couple hundred dollars or so.  Thanks for everyone's input - VERY much appreciated. 

I had originally planned on having slow motion controls but from what I've read lately, the stability of the mount and tripod are much more important than having the slower controls.

I love having slow motion controls, but I would agree with this.  If I had to push adjust without slow motion controls in order to have maximum stability, I would go for the stability.  

The M2C gets outstanding reviews and seems to have a good load capacity.  It should work fine with your scope.

#25 gpaunescu

gpaunescu

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2022 - 12:24 PM

I have the  Skytee II, variant from TS.

Is very strong and handle very easy my TS-Photon 8" F4 (almost 10Kg with accessories).

I mean this mount:

https://www.teleskop...adjustment.html

The same is sold also by Omegon.

• John Huntley likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics