•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Suggestions for Travel Case for AT72EDII...?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:42 PM

Hello fellow CNers!

Although I have retained the shipping box and foam when Astronomics recently shipped my AT72EDII, I would like to find a travel case to transport the scope safely.

The Astronomics website lists a custom case for the AT60 and AT72 (https://www.astronom...i.html?___SID=U), but Mike at Astronomics informed me that current costs for shipping and duties have made it uneconomical to continue selling.it.

Could you suggest some cases I might look at that are similar to the one Astronomics offered?

I don't need an indestructible case that will withstand airline baggage handling, or a case that's watertight, etc., just something that can withstand travel in a car trunk.

If possible I'd like to keep the cost around $50-$75.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#2 jlinsobe

jlinsobe

Mariner 2

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:56 PM

I did it cheaply since I have the original foam.

I got a food  delivery black bag on amazon.
 They are sort of sturdy and like $25 

Harbor Freight sell the 4800 case model for as low as 45$ with coupon.  Solid hard cases in different colors.

I have one for my AT60ED

Edited by jlinsobe, 28 June 2022 - 03:57 PM.

#3 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Gemini

• Loc: Florida

Posted 28 June 2022 - 04:16 PM

+`1 for Harbor Freight Apache case, if it will fit.

https://www.harborfr...lack-64250.html

This one is full of guns, but scopes fit too.

#4 GGK

GGK

Apollo

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 28 June 2022 - 04:17 PM

The polyethylene foam that my AT60ED came in was designed very well for protection.  If I was just looking to carry the scope, I would pick up a canvas duffle about the same size as the original shipping box and simply put the original packing foam inside that.  I originally got this idea from a soft case sized to accept the foam for the SkyWatcher EQ6-R mount.

In my situation, I carry my AT60ED with the diagonal , small mount head and eyepieces included, so purchased a slightly larger canvas duffle bag, purchased the same 1.7 pound polyethylene foam from foambymail.com, and made my own foam insert sort of modeled after the original.  I take this on planes.

Good luck,

Gary

#5 Polyphemos

Polyphemos

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Bay Area, California

Posted 28 June 2022 - 06:43 PM

rFjiJg8.jpg

E1DmoQM.jpg

8vTyIOR.jpg

This Apache case probably offers more protection than you’re asking for and yet is still well within your budget.  I throw it loaded with scope, eyepieces, diagonal, finder, and filter into the trunk of my Miata and I know everything will be well protected during whatever roads I travel on to get to my viewing site.

I’m pretty sure the case I use for my AT72EDII is the Apache 3800 on sale here:

https://www.harborfr...lack-63927.html

Edited by Polyphemos, 28 June 2022 - 07:38 PM.

• eric_zeiner, Space_Race_T.J., ABQJeff and 1 other like this

#6 TAS

TAS

Explorer 1

• Loc: Central NJ the "NO State"

Posted 28 June 2022 - 10:28 PM

+1 on the Harbor Freight 3800 case for the 72EDII. I modified the packing foam the scope was shipped to fit the case as it is more protective than the "pluck" foam.

Works just fine and there is enough space for the focal reducer and a few accessories.

TAS

#7 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• Loc: Perry, GA USA

Posted 29 June 2022 - 09:09 AM

This is great stuff!  I'd like to find cases for both my AT 102ED and my AT80ED.  That Apache case looks wonderful.  Do they have other sizes?

#8 Polyphemos

Polyphemos

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2022 - 09:48 AM

This is great stuff!  I'd like to find cases for both my AT 102ED and my AT80ED.  That Apache case looks wonderful.  Do they have other sizes?

They have several sizes, and you can probably see them at the Harbor Freight store in Centerville.

https://www.harborfr...1&q=apache case

#9 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2022 - 11:01 AM

Thanks to all who have replied to my request!  The great and detailed responses like these from members is such a tremendous asset to all who participate on CN.

I think I'll combine a couple of your suggestions for my AT72EDII carry solution.  The Apache case definitely gets the nod, and thanks Polyphemos for the great photos.  The Apache 4800 case is a little bigger than the 3800, so I'm going to purchase the 4800 to see if I can carry a few more accessories.  I've found that with my SWA 38mm as a "finder" eyepiece I get 11x and don't need a separate mounted finder, but I have a 2-inch prism diagonal, which is on the large side, that I don't want to carry separately.  I'm going to see if I can fit all my eyepieces, the diagonal, and a couple of filters in the case.  The bolt cases for my Delos eyepieces stand a little tall, but I think they'll fit.

I'll also try to use the foam that came in the original scope shipping box, as I agree with TAS that the original foam seems more protective than standard pluck foam. I could pluck out a rectangular shape from the Apache foam to accommodate the original shipping foam.

Thanks again folks.  I'll try to post some pics of the completed item.  I'm sure that with recent purchases of the popular AT72EDII, and no custom case available, that this topic will provide some utility.

#10 jyeah

jyeah

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 June 2022 - 11:38 AM

I just ordered an Apache 3800 and Apache 4800 case. Maybe I'll do a side-by-side comparison with the new AT72EDII I just ordered.

• ABQJeff likes this

#11 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 July 2022 - 08:47 PM

So I settled on the Apache 4800 hard case with the "pluck foam" interior.  I almost purchased the 3800, but the 4800 dimensions were just a little bigger and I thought I might need the extra room.  This was my first time working with pluck foam and I will say that you have to be careful and deliberate so you don't make a mistake on the dimensions.

AT72 Case - 1.jpg

#12 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 July 2022 - 09:00 PM

If you set up the foam carefully, you can fit quite a lot inside.  Top row, L-to-R: 2-inch nebula filter; 1.25-inch polarizing moon filter; and 3.75-inch ID solar filter.  Second row: scope.  Third row, L-to-R: red flashlight; 2-inch 26mm eyepiece; digital angle meter; and 2-inch prism diagonal.  Fourth row, L-to-R: 1.25-inch 12mm, 6mm, and 4.5mm eyepieces; and 2-inch 38mm eyepiece. I configured the foam so that the scope and diagonal are positioned upright when the case is laid flat.  I mount the scope on an Oberwerk 5000 tripod and head so the scope dovetail and attached quick-release plate are on the bottom.

AT72 Case - 2.jpg           AT72 Case - 3.jpg

#13 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 July 2022 - 09:10 PM

One issue I encountered almost spoiled the foam layout.  I usually store my Delos eyepieces wrapped in their plastic bags and placed inside bolt cases.  However, the height of the bolt cases was such that when I tried to close the case an undesirable amount of pressure was put on the three eyepieces.  But as I had already plucked out the foam pieces so that the bolt cases' width was accommodated, the bare eyepieces were unsupported laterally.  After uttering a few expletives, I re-inserted the square blocks I had removed for the bolt cases and plucked out their interiors so that the bare eyepieces would fit snugly.  As I say, plan the foam layout with care before plucking.  wink.gif

AT72 Case - 4.jpg

#14 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 July 2022 - 09:20 PM

Finally, my sincere thanks to all who replied with their suggestions, and special thanks to Polyphemos for pointing the way.

BTW, if you don't like your scope cases in black, the 4800 case also comes in orange, yellow, tan, and green.  I also noticed that the next size up from the 4800 model (the 5800) was larger and comes with wheels and an extendable handle.

https://www.harborfr...arge-64819.html

Clear skies!

#15 Polyphemos

Polyphemos

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2022 - 09:32 PM

One issue I encountered almost spoiled the foam layout.  I usually store my Delos eyepieces wrapped in their plastic bags and placed inside bolt cases.  However, the height of the bolt cases was such that when I tried to close the case an undesirable amount of pressure was put on the three eyepieces.  But as I had already plucked out the foam pieces so that the bolt cases' width was accommodated, the bare eyepieces were unsupported laterally.  After uttering a few expletives, I re-inserted the square blocks I had removed for the bolt cases and plucked out their interiors so that the bare eyepieces would fit snugly.  As I say, plan the foam layout with care before plucking.  wink.gif

attachicon.gifAT72 Case - 4.jpg

When you tire of the pluck foam, which you assuredly will because the Apache case pluck foam is true abysmal, replace it with this:

https://www.amazon.c...product_details

As with anything there is a learning curve, but with the help of several short but good videos you will soon have a case and foam support system that will last you for many years.  Here’s one video to get you started:

https://www.youtube....h?v=SkETpHX7WJI

Good luck!

Jim

Edited by Polyphemos, 05 July 2022 - 09:48 PM.

#16 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 July 2022 - 10:27 AM

Very interesting Jim.  Just layers to separate instead of the 15mm cubes.  Thanks for the links!

In terms of foam density, would you say that the Apache pluck foam or the FASTCAP Kaisen foam is more dense?

#17 Polyphemos

Polyphemos

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2022 - 10:58 AM

Very interesting Jim.  Just layers to separate instead of the 15mm cubes.  Thanks for the links!

In terms of foam density, would you say that the Apache pluck foam or the FASTCAP Kaisen foam is more dense?

The FASTCAP Kaisen foam is an order of magnitude denser.  It cuts quite easily with a narrow blade utility knife, and cheap hole saws made to cut ceramics or glass can be used to cut consistent cylinders for eyepieces.  It takes some practice to make good looking cuts, but it’s not difficult and Kaisen makes some handy tools which will make the job easier and neater.

I use the soft foam base and egg carton top, and replace the pluck foal in the middle.  That gives me some more energy absorption and volume, and the foam I linked from Amazon should be plenty for two or three cases

Edited by Polyphemos, 06 July 2022 - 10:05 PM.

#18 mhrivnak

mhrivnak

Sputnik

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 06 July 2022 - 04:26 PM

The scope is similar in size to many telephoto camera lenses, so a camera bag may work well for you. Mine is in a Lowepro bag along with an az-gti mount and hand controller. Of course a hard case is more protective, but at the expense of bulk. A camera bag is more than sufficient for keeping it protected while on the go, as long as you're not stacking stuff on top of it.

• Polyphemos likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics