•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Punching through high cloud over Canberra with a C8 28 June UT

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 28 June 2022 - 11:26 PM

I could probably get the C8 closer to the clouds for my assault if the C8 was not on a wooden tripod.  I am a bit of a wimp at lifting, and avoided trying to haul the C11 and AZEQ6 and the lifting platform up the slope in my yard last night to the very small nook that allows me to peer into the lower East of the frosty Canberra night.

I could not image on the 27th which looked  quite a good night so I imaged this morning which naturally was far less clear and so autohistogram on fire capture was employed to attempt to ameliorate  the lumpy feed of fast moving extensive high cloud. This still mobile cloud thickened and by 4am in the morning while Jupiter and Mars were getting higher the results were getting even worse.

It says a lot about my recent months of imaging that I am still happy with these outcomes, I did obtain a small amount of detail on Jupiter and Saturn while Mars will be kept to compare to hoped for much better images in the coming months.  The high cloud does sap a bit of color/

Edit:   Deleted some text that went missing from this description and I just noticed had ended up in the title!  The Perils of being both busy and sleep deprived.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2022-06-28-1746_2-U-L-Jup_l6_ap72a C8 poertmate 224mc cloud shot but OK.png

Edited by Foc, 29 June 2022 - 01:44 AM.

• Kenny V., yock1960, R Botero and 13 others like this

#2 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2022 - 11:30 PM

And here is a decent C8 Saturn which the ever-present cloud made getting the color optimized a bit tricky.  Before about 3.30am it was getting to high for my imaging train to avoid the edge of the EVO.

Also included to make up the numbers is a rather poorish 1.5x enlarged Mars with very faint albedo markings. My Mars at around 4am was still fairly low in altitude and twinkling from the cloud.

Edit corrected over-enlarged version of Mars resulting from having to rush to do a school pick-up!  Did not hang around this morning to see if dawn improved the seeing as also had to do the dropoff at the school.

I should mention this morning  I was using the Zwo 224mc with a 2.5x powermate to give the planets, in particular Mars some imaging scale.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mars 28-06-22 1615.png
  • 2022-06-28-1533_5-U-L-Sat_l6_ap42_limit000001-003700a.png

Edited by Foc, 29 June 2022 - 01:15 AM.

• Kenny V., R Botero, eros312 and 12 others like this

#3 Lacaille

Lacaille

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 28 June 2022 - 11:48 PM

Good work Ross, given the circumstances. Looks like focus was good but maybe you had issues of transparency due to mist. Mars in this hemisphere is quite muted in contrast in all the current images. I think clouds and dust are about. I will post my Mars from a day earlier as soon as I can get to my computer.
  • Foc likes this

#4 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 29 June 2022 - 09:35 AM

Good effort, Ross, especially Saturn. It's good to get out and try, even if the results aren't optimal. Hopefully there are better nights to come!

• Foc likes this

#5 le greolois

le greolois

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: France dpt 06

Posted 29 June 2022 - 12:35 PM

I like your images! Bravo

• Foc likes this

#6 Ashman

Ashman

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra, Australia

Posted 30 June 2022 - 06:17 PM

Nice images Ross given the circumstances!
  • Foc likes this

#7 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the comments and all the likes.  I need the cheering up.  July begins with a whole week of rain in Canberra. 

So that is both rain and cloud that needed to be punched throughsmile.gif

Oh well, time to process some backlog and see if I was successful in imaging Comet Panstarrs at 400mm on the 27th June with my frac.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics