•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APL Shrine Manon 60/700

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Perry, GA USA

Posted 20 July 2022 - 03:07 PM

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!!!

#52 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2022 - 04:00 PM

So, I had some motivation this afternoon and I accomplished the following:

Cleaned the objective, couldn't get the retaining ring off even with a strap wrench.  I know some manufacturers used an adhesive to lock the rings in place so I just cleaned the front and back and it came out very good .  Used Zeiss cleaning fluid and about 20 cotton balls followed with a microfiber cloth.

Disassembled the OTA.  Bagged all the parts for each assembly.  I then went sanded the tube, dew shield and finder tube with 600 grit wet/dry paper.  I just finished painting them with Rust-Oleum appliance epoxy and they look great.  The main tube has a very subtle dent in it near the focuser but it's not enough to worry about.

When disassembling the focuser, there are two cloth strips that act as bearings and they were both out of place and pretty much mangled.  So I'll have to mic them up and see how thick they are.  Also the rack is bowed outwards in the middle so I am going to try and take it off and gently straighten it.

It's going along fine and the mount will be next.

Edited by eric_zeiner, 21 July 2022 - 02:54 PM.

• DreamWeaver likes this

#53 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2022 - 03:03 PM

I started on the mount today and other than some really sticky grease, it is in good shape.  I am going to go by Ace Hardware tomorrow and pick up some mineral spirits to clean it with.  Ace also has a flat grey spray paint that is both primer and paint in one.  I figured that I would paint over the existing paint and the texture should remain.  I just need to see how close the color match is.  The shiny bits are going to take some time to brighten up.  Some have obvious rust on them and others are a bit pitted.  I'm not going to go crazy.  After all the scope is 50 plus years old and I don't want it to look like it has never used.

The paint on the OTA came out nice.  As for the focuser and the cell, I am just give them a good cleaning and perhaps a little rubbing compound to bring them back to life.  Should be good.

#54 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2022 - 03:27 PM

So today I cleaned all the mount components with mineral spirits.  Got all the sticky grease off and tomorrow I am going to start shining the shiny bits and I am going to sand all the bearing surfaces with 600 grit to polish and deburr. Depending on the weather I may paint the mount as well.

I think the tripod is going to be the most time consuming and I haven't really taken a good look at it to see what it needs.

• Terra Nova likes this

#55 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2022 - 02:21 PM

I painted the mount yesterday and shined up all the shiny bits and it came out great.  The paint I used is Rust Oleum 2X Paint and primer in one.  The color I chose is called Granite and it was a perfect match to the original.  It does have a very, very slight sheen to it but it's not objectionable.  

I used Nevr-Dull on the shiny parts and in short that stuff is amazing.

So I reassembled the mount and OTA and installed the scope into the mount.  It looks really nice.

Tomorrow I am going to start on the tripod.  That will probably be the most time consuming.  I am very happy with the progress I am making.  I know that I should be posting photos but I don't own a computer and I have to rely on using a friend's computer and he is out of town until the 30.  I have been taking pics along the way and will get them up as soon as possible.

• Terra Nova likes this

#56 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2022 - 11:47 AM

I disassembled the tripod today and other than needing a good sanding, it's in good shape.  Once sanded, I am going to finish it with a honey colored Tung oil.  I think that will work well.  I am also going to replace all the little screws, bolts etc.  They are beyond saving in terms of finish.

I painted the EP tray and I may paint all the tripod brackets depending on how hot it gets outside.

• Terra Nova and mikerepp like this

#57 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2022 - 04:57 PM

I ended up painting all the tripod brackets on Sunday.  I am probably going to go to Ace Hardware tomorrow to pick up all the various fasteners I need.  I was going to sand the legs on Saturday but I have to work so it's looking like Sunday.

I have to do the sanding outside and it's been crazy hot and humid here and with my job requiring me to be outside all day, I quite frankly am not too motivated to spend a couple of hours sweating over the legs.

• Terra Nova likes this

#58 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2022 - 05:24 PM

It looks like I won't be able to continue on this project for awhile.  I will be working seven days a week until further notice.  I am at least going to pick up all the fasteners and sand paper and such and perhaps I'll get some free time.

#59 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 31 July 2022 - 02:41 PM

So I actually had some time this afternoon and I took a good look at the fasteners and such and the only things that really need to be replaced are the EP tray screws and the cotter pins that hold the spreader brackets in place.  Everything else polished up nicely.  I am trying very hard to keep it as original as possible.  I'll swing by Ace tomorrow and pick up the parts I need as well as the sand paper and the Tung oil.  I'm really hoping to get it done this week and I will post photos as soon as possible.

#60 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2022 - 10:41 AM

Going to Ace this afternoon to pick up the fasteners, sand paper and Tung oil.  If everything goes well I should have it done this weekend.

#61 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:31 PM

So $32 later, I was able to get everything I needed with the exception of the thumb screws for the leg length adjustment.  The originals look okay and I am not going to hurt my head over it.

I also received my Caplugs free sample and the one I got for the objective fits like a glove.

Moving right along!

#62 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:50 PM

Yeah, the only thing I forgot was the rubber stoppers for the bottom of the legs.  Probably get them on Saturday.

#63 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 01:53 PM

So folks, I am completely done!!!  I sanded oiled the leg components and they came out great.  I used 220 grit paper, followed by a denatured alcohol wipe down followed by one really heavy coat of amber Tung oil.  The beauty of doing it this way is that the legs are ready to go after about an hour.  Once applied, you only have to wait 15 minutes and then buff.  I reassembled the legs with all the freshly painted hardware and they really look fantastic.

This was the most extensive restoration I have ever done and I am very happy.  All told, I have about $200 into this scope.  That includes the purchase price, shipping, and materials.  If it works as good as it looks, it will definitely be a keeper.

I will assemble it completely tomorrow and take a bunch of pictures and I will post them ASAP.  I have a busy week coming up and I have to coordinate with my friends so that I may use his computer to upload the photos.  Stay tuned.

• mdowns and Terra Nova like this

#64 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 03:48 PM

BTW, I want to thank all of y'all for guiding me through this journey.  All the tips, suggestions and advice were invaluable and I think because of it is the reason it came out so well.

Also, I received a PM from another member asking if he could post pics of his Shrine Manon on this thread and I said by all means!  This goes for everyone else too and it will be nice to compare notes.  Mi Casa es Su Casa.

• Terra Nova and norvegicus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics