•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using Siril to view exif data in FITS files

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bob_Gardner

Bob_Gardner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2022 - 04:50 PM

This is probably a stupid question, but I've looked at the Siril documentation, googled it, and searched CN, with no luck.

I recently received an ASI533mc camera and have just started using Siril to pre-process and stack images on a Mac.  So far, its working pretty well, all things considered.  

Something that ought to be easy though, is kicking my butt.  When I have a large number of FITS images and want to screen them for image quality, the preview screen in the Open menu is tiny and doesn't display any exif data for the image.  Is there an easy way to preview FITS files quickly and see the exif data for them at the same time?

Thanks,

Bob

#2 KungFood

KungFood

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Tx

Posted 29 June 2022 - 05:02 PM

You can use ASI FitsView, which you can download from the ZWO website. It's pretty fast, gives you a good fullscreen view, and I believe lets you view FITS headers. No clue on how to do it in Siril.

#3 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Vanguard

Posted 29 June 2022 - 05:03 PM

Well, my answer isn't Siril (which I use) but Darktable https://www.darktable.org/ which is free, available for the Mac and will show you EXIF data and more.

It's very well suited for what you want to do. I generally use Darktable to examine my raw frames, discarding bad ones before processing them in Siril.

Clear skies.

Edited by BlueMoon, 29 June 2022 - 05:19 PM.

#4 danny1976

danny1976

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 29 June 2022 - 06:49 PM

I review my images in the capturing software APT.

#5 Bob_Gardner

Bob_Gardner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 06:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, will try them out!

#6 Bob_Gardner

Bob_Gardner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 09:30 AM

Rats, ASI FITSView doesn't appear to be available on the ZWO website anymore.

#7 Bob_Gardner

Bob_Gardner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 09:41 AM

And I'm a little deterred by Darktable.  It is described by reviewers as not for beginners.  I'm definitely a beginner.  

#8 Bob_Gardner

Bob_Gardner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 09:55 AM

After a lot of googling, it appears that APT does not run on Mac OSX. 

Edited by Bob_Gardner, 30 June 2022 - 09:55 AM.

#9 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Vanguard

Posted 30 June 2022 - 09:56 AM

And I'm a little deterred by Darktable.  It is described by reviewers as not for beginners.  I'm definitely a beginner.  

It's actually quite simple to use for the kind of work you want to do. I agree, it can get kinda hairy if you want to do more of the image processing stuff, but that is more in the realm of what traditional photographers would use.

Here's the screen I use the most. I loaded a series of light frames.You just click on each one you want to examine. The image info will appear on the left hand side. To discard the image just click in the check box and delete.

Clear skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• darktable.jpg

Edited by BlueMoon, 30 June 2022 - 10:00 AM.

• Skysmacker likes this

#10 Bob_Gardner

Bob_Gardner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 10:03 AM

Has anybody used QuickFITS recently?  It got mixed reviews on the Apple App Store. Early reviews were favorable, but recent reviews claim that it doesn't work correctly with the latest OS X.

Edited by Bob_Gardner, 30 June 2022 - 10:30 AM.

#11 Bob_Gardner

Bob_Gardner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 10:04 AM

It's actually quite simple to use for the kind of work you want to do. I agree, it can get kinda hairy if you want to do more of the image processing stuff, but that is more in the realm of what traditional photographers would use.

Here's the screen I use the most. I loaded a series of light frames.You just click on each one you want to examine. The image info will appear on the left hand side. To discard the image just click in the check box and delete.

Clear skies.

Very good, thanks!  Will take second look.

#12 Bob_Gardner

Bob_Gardner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 10:43 AM

Clear skies.

Just curious, when you install Darktable, does it want to immediately upload all your image files, like some other apps that I've encountered?  

Edited by Bob_Gardner, 30 June 2022 - 10:43 AM.

#13 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 30 June 2022 - 11:52 AM

Rats, ASI FITSView doesn't appear to be available on the ZWO website anymore.

You have to get the full ASI Studio suite.  The viewer is part of it.

#14 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Vanguard

Posted 30 June 2022 - 03:31 PM

Just curious, when you install Darktable, does it want to immediately upload all your image files, like some other apps that I've encountered?  

Upload? Nope. All my files stay on my hard drive. The way I use it, I have all my files set up in Siril beforehand. Before I start stacking, etc.in Siril I direct Darktable to the "lights" directory I want to work on and delete any bad frames I might find. Darktable will remember you last directory until you choose another to work in. 

Edited by BlueMoon, 30 June 2022 - 03:33 PM.

#15 Bob_Gardner

Bob_Gardner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 06:22 PM

Upload? Nope. All my files stay on my hard drive. The way I use it, I have all my files set up in Siril beforehand. Before I start stacking, etc.in Siril I direct Darktable to the "lights" directory I want to work on and delete any bad frames I might find. Darktable will remember you last directory until you choose another to work in. 

Thanks for the insights!

#16 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Vanguard

Posted 30 June 2022 - 08:05 PM

One more if its useful to you. I didn't know you can examine EXIF data directly on a Mac according to this article I ran across: https://www.howtogee...dows-and-macos/

Clear skies.

#17 Bob_Gardner

Bob_Gardner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2022 - 10:04 AM

One more if its useful to you. I didn't know you can examine EXIF data directly on a Mac according to this article I ran across: https://www.howtogee...dows-and-macos/

Clear skies.

Thanks. Unfortunately, using Preview to access EXIF data doesn't work for FITS files for some reason.  At least, not on my Mac.

#18 Spaceman 56

Spaceman 56

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 02 July 2022 - 01:31 AM

when I stack in Siril I use Raw Therapee to view the lights, and then the ones that are not good I delete.

its shows things like ISO values, exposure time and other data/

not sure if thats what you are looking for, but its what I use on Mac, and its a free program.

Spaceman

raw therapee screenshot v2.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics