I’m thinking about a dobsonian for more casual on the spot observing, my current setups require a decent amount of set-up, and in the summer pattern here, viewing windows tend to be apparently very spontaneous.
I’d really like a dob that’s :
- Around 6ft tall max (Aperture corresponding)
- relatively Light weight & Transportable
- Collapsible and hand-portable (truss tube style)
- Good solid build quality to price ratio(quality components, good focuser, quality optics, good base)
- Have Simple/Basic Go-to with tracking
- Ideally suited targets in order of Priority:
3: Gazing at open clusters and at starfields
4: Double Stars
Other considerations are that I’d like it to work well with my current Eyepiece set (Baader Hyperion 68°s + Xcel-Lx Barlows+ Zwo ADC) I’d put priority in quality of the optics, and a smooth nice 2 speed focuser, other considerations are secondary in my opinion. Mods to make a good scope better are fine, Mods to bring a “almost good except” scope up to par is a no-go for me. I’m looking for quality out of the box. Something Mid-range, and commercially available, no custom orders, or “DIY Specialty Kits” please, thank you!
I realize there’s no “perfect scope” and there’s always trade-offs so please let me hear them, and your recommendations, personal experiences, and comments are welcome!
Thank you Kindly! I’ll appreciate all input!
Edited by MarkCosmos, 30 June 2022 - 04:13 AM.