•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Largest Portable Dob

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jpcannavo

jpcannavo

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ex NYCer, Now in Denver CO!

Posted 30 June 2022 - 07:59 AM

I just returned from the RMSS star party in Gardner CO with my 16 F5- clearly very easy to transport. (I live in Denver).  But the variability in effort with which other scopes in the 20-30” were set up and broken down got me thinking as I plan a Dob build in the 22” plus range. (The boss just OK’d a mirror purchase!). I was also very impressed with Roel’s 25” Dob posting.
Now before the posting police arrive with their artillery:  Obviously portability is relative to all kinds of things: ones vehicle/vehicles, how many people involved, tolerance for hassle factor, how fast the primary, how far to drive, the condition of one’s lumbar vertebrae. In short, one persons portable scope is another’s immovable mountain. And clearly the design is relevant: From classic dob to ultralight. So I am leaving these constraints open to see how they apply/have applied to different individual experience and opinion.
So the question to the reader is this: leaving the above mentioned constraints open ended for your own consideration, what would you consider to be the largest Dob that is practical/feasible to transport to dark skies.

• jokrausdu likes this

#2 zakry3323

zakry3323

Gemini

• Loc: Fairfield, Westmoreland County, PA

Posted 30 June 2022 - 08:10 AM

For me, I wouldn't want to be hefting around a classic dob with a full thickness mirror any heavier than the one in my 12.5" Discovery! If I go bigger and want to travel with it, a lighter mirror would be absolutely necessary. The rest of the setup- as large as can fit in my Subaru is fine. 

Edited by zakry3323, 30 June 2022 - 08:11 AM.

• jpcannavo likes this

#3 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 30 June 2022 - 08:37 AM

With wheelbarrow handles, wheels and ramps, really, really big scopes can be moved. I know you gave the caveat of "portability can mean many things" but, assuming you are able bodied and not in a hurry, the width of your van/trailer is the limit. I have a friend with a 22" f/3.8 and it's as easily transported as my Obsession Classic 15. 

If you want to physically carry it, I'd say 12 or so is about it.

#4 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 30 June 2022 - 08:45 AM

Kevin Frederick's 36" home made dob is the largest I have seen brought to a star party. (Al Nagler for scale)

IMAG0099.jpg

Edited by Jim Davis, 30 June 2022 - 08:45 AM.

• paul, Pierre Lemay, bunyon and 3 others like this

#5 tommm

tommm

Apollo

Posted 30 June 2022 - 11:36 AM

You might want to look at this thread in the "Reflectors" forum, since it is very similar to this one you have started.

• jpcannavo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics