•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

skywatcher refractors on Celestron nexstar évolution mount

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 psfox2001

psfox2001

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2022 - 08:03 AM

I want to use my Celestron nexstar évolution mount and its starsense Celestron with a skywatcher evo 72ED or 62ED.
Can i mount these refractors on this mount and the starsense on them or do i need some extra stuff ?
thanks

#2 deansjc

deansjc

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 June 2022 - 08:29 AM

This is a good project! I see it the same as mounting it on an 8SE mount. While you can do it with no additional parts, it is more enjoyable if you offset the EvoStar's rail by an inch or so to give a little more room to access the focusing knob. Balancing the rig is easy enough and not too critical. I will post a couple of pictures of my setup. I use it for visual and AP. My "Vixen offset" is made of maple. Any hardwood you can fashion to the correct dimension and shape works fine.

Edited by deansjc, 30 June 2022 - 08:30 AM.

#3 firemachine69

firemachine69

Apollo

Posted 30 June 2022 - 08:37 AM

You'll either have to put it on a wedge or adjust the slew limits, but yes, it'll work with the right adapters and rail. 

#4 deansjc

deansjc

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 June 2022 - 01:48 PM

Here are some pictures of how I mount my EvoStar 72 to the 8SE mount.  I am pretty sure your mount is similar in this regard.

I am currently using an extra long adapter (Vixen height extender).  You only need a short one as shown in the picture below.  The dimensions need to be close, but not exact given the clamping mechanism on the Celestron mounts.

Included here are some pictures of the small adapter and how things look assembled.   You may need to rotate the tube so that the focus knobs are accessible and do not contact the mount itself.  You can move the OTA forward and back in its clamp mechanism to suit, but do check on balance.  A longer adapter allows the addition of counterweights if needed.  These mounts are never is easy to balance however for visual, it is a non-issue and my balance allows for AP but only when guiding (on a wedge).

You can see that I have added an additional platform that allows for accessories.  Looks like a lot, but isn't really.  The mount IS NOT overloaded.  Wood does not flex as much as people say.  It works well.  I can expose for 4 minutes when conditions permit.

Happy to answer any questions.

John 

Attached Thumbnails

• vixen adapter.jpg
  • EvoStar on SE Mount 1.jpg
  • EvoStar on SE Mount 2.jpg
  • Vixen dimensions.jpg

#5 psfox2001

psfox2001

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2022 - 02:27 AM

thanks

Very interesting and instructive photos unfortunately I am not at all a handyman.
Nevertheless I understood that I can mount directly the 72ed on the mount
but balancing will be difficult and the focuser knobs will hurt the mount in some position

#6 firemachine69

firemachine69

Apollo

Posted 03 July 2022 - 08:55 AM

thanks

Very interesting and instructive photos unfortunately I am not at all a handyman.
Nevertheless I understood that I can mount directly the 72ed on the mount
but balancing will be difficult and the focuser knobs will hurt the mount in some position

Yes, if you're using the mount in alt-az mode, it's important you set slew limits to not crash into the mount. I can't tell you an exact value, but if I remember correctly the default value is 90 degrees, which is straight up.

Balancing isn't so much an issue, the Nexstar SE and Evolution mounts are extremely forgiving. 

Edited by firemachine69, 03 July 2022 - 08:56 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics