•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to run NINA on Windows 7 and use the plugins

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hughie

Hughie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2022 - 12:43 AM

Found a way to do this. Simple enough. No problems. I can now use the 3 point polar alignment plugin on an old Windows 7 Dell

https://youtu.be/QtptwX5QL9o

Edited by Hughie, 03 July 2022 - 12:48 AM.

#2 ghilios

ghilios

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New York, NY

Posted 03 July 2022 - 05:37 PM

For anyone else seeing this thread I highly recommend against it. We don't support Windows 7, and core dependcies of ours may break without notice on such an old and unsupported OS

#3 Linwood

Linwood

Gemini

• Loc: Ft Myers, Florida, USA

Posted 03 July 2022 - 06:08 PM

My Dell laptop is from 2017, and it says Windows 10 is not supported, but it works fine.  That may be a better workaround if yours also works.  I even have Windows 10 running on a Microsoft Surface Pro, dating if I recall from about 2013. 

I'm not saying it will run on all systems, but it runs on a LOT of systems where the manufacturer says it is not supported.  That simply means they didn't check it, certify hardware and drivers, etc.

I just wiped it and installed from the ISO, and I probably did download some Dell software but only the minimum to make it run.  Generally Dell provided software is all bloatware anyway, except sometimes drivers.  It's probably still free, but pretty cheap if not. 

I'd echo what George said, running on unsupported operating system is just asking for stuff to go wrong, and then take time of the developers asking about it (I am not one of them so no conflict of interest in that advice).  We spend thousands on equipment without a lot of thought, why run old software. 

PS. This is NOT true of Windows 11 which is really picky, and to me is a solution in search of a problem. 

Edited by Linwood, 03 July 2022 - 06:08 PM.

#4 dghent

dghent

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Maryland, US

Posted 05 July 2022 - 09:10 AM

Speaking as a NINA contributor, I will refuse to assist anyone who presents a problem where the Windows version in use is marked unsupported by the project. The proper "fix" to Windows 7 is to upgrade to a supported version.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics