I'm having trouble with what I believe to be backlash in my CEM 60's RA. Since the backlash is periodic I believe the issue could be caused by damage to the RA gearing. The RA assembly has been dismantled and inspected, however I am unsure if there is damage to the ring or worm gear.
- Previous sessions ran flawlessly with the exact same OTA/setup/configurations and I am unaware of any incident that may have caused this issue to begin occurring
- All imaging sessions from the past month now produce unusable subs (300s) displaying star drift in both directions
- This occurs when imaging targets in different sky locations
- When the RA is engaged, there is no observable backlash or play when pressure is manually applied in either direction
- Backlash occurs periodically, suggesting damage/flaw with RA gearing
There doesn't appear to be any damage to the worm gear.
There appears to be some wear to the ring gear but no drastic damage, though I'm not entirely certain of this assessment.
PHD Guiding Assistant Backlash Example Video
You can see the severity of the backlash, and how it occurs in regular intervals.
Imaging session examples
PHD showing periodic backlash:
5min sub with star drift from backlash: