•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help unscrewing focal reducer from C8

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PeterWar

PeterWar

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Roses, Girona (Spain)

Posted 03 July 2022 - 10:24 AM

Hello everyone,

After years of use and many schools visiting our observatory and looking trough the C8 telescope, we've decided to uscrew the f6.3 focal reducer to allow for clearance on zenith views, only to descover that is too tightly screwed and can't be unscrewed.

I'm almost too afraid to apply too much force, have this happened to any of you before? I would very much appreciate if you could provide any tips on how to unscrew the corrector and in what direction (clockwise or counterclockwise) should the force be made.

Many thanks!

#2 wrvond

wrvond

Skylab

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 03 July 2022 - 10:31 AM

Counter clockwise.

Use a rubber jar lid gripper and give it a sharp twist.

• PeterWar likes this

#3 Sky King

Sky King

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 03 July 2022 - 10:45 AM

Try a strap wrench

Edit: Corrected spelling!

Edited by Sky King, 03 July 2022 - 01:29 PM.

• PeterWar, Rick-T137, Bean614 and 1 other like this

#4 wrvond

wrvond

Skylab

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 03 July 2022 - 10:49 AM

I found a wench, but she had no strap! rofl2.gif rofl2.gif

Really though, a wrench is not necessary. A simple gripper pad or if that's not available, latex or nytril gloves will work well, too. 

• Starsareus, PeterWar and Sky King like this

#5 Sky King

Sky King

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 03 July 2022 - 01:34 PM

Really though, a wrench is not necessary. A simple gripper pad or if that's not available, latex or nytril gloves will work well, t

You could start with the gripper pad or jar opener, or gloves, and if that works, fine. You may end up needing to soak the threads overnight with liquid wrench or WD-40 or something...

• PeterWar likes this

#6 Dpasqa

Dpasqa

Viking 1

• Loc: Asheville NC

Posted 03 July 2022 - 05:01 PM

I had a similar situation with my reducer, it was the Celestron diagonal old it was getting stuck to the reducer. I had to use pliers, nothing else worked. In the process it did scuffs the edge a little bit. It didn’t ruin it but it did scratch the paint so I hope you find a better solution.

• PeterWar likes this

#7 Echolight

Echolight

Aurora

• Loc: Texas

Posted 03 July 2022 - 06:32 PM

Lefty loosey. Happens all the time. Use a small towel maybe. Turn harder.

• PeterWar likes this

#8 DeepSky Di

DeepSky Di

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Moderators

Posted 03 July 2022 - 06:52 PM

My solutions: rubber bands wrapped around the stuck part, nitrile gloves; I also just purchased some filter wrenches from Amazon. There are countless threads (?!) on CN about this, here's one that had a lot of tips:

https://www.cloudyni...e-i-go-mental/ 

• PeterWar likes this

#9 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 04 July 2022 - 07:23 PM

Hello everyone,

After years of use and many schools visiting our observatory and looking trough the C8 telescope, we've decided to uscrew the f6.3 focal reducer to allow for clearance on zenith views, only to descover that is too tightly screwed and can't be unscrewed.

I'm almost too afraid to apply too much force, have this happened to any of you before? I would very much appreciate if you could provide any tips on how to unscrew the corrector and in what direction (clockwise or counterclockwise) should the force be made.

Many thanks!

Put hot water on a facecloth, as hot as you can stand.  Wring it out and wrap it immediately around the reducer. Give it 30 seconds or so to heat it up.  That may expand the cell just enough to make it easier to get the thing off.  Counterclockwise turning.  Hold it tight and star with a snap to break it loose.

• gnowellsct likes this

#10 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Viking 1

• Loc: Northeast Tennessee USA

Posted 05 July 2022 - 06:40 AM

This happened to us too-- no amount of trying to turn things by hand, even with gloves on, etc. worked.  I ordered a strap wrench from Amazon (a nice, high quality one although a cheap one would probably have worked) and the reducer came right off.  DO NOT spray WD-40 on the threads-- it migrates and will end up in places that you definitely don't want it to be-- like on the optics themselves.

• PeterWar likes this

#11 PeterWar

PeterWar

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Roses, Girona (Spain)

Posted 19 July 2022 - 04:37 AM

Put hot water on a facecloth, as hot as you can stand.  Wring it out and wrap it immediately around the reducer. Give it 30 seconds or so to heat it up.  That may expand the cell just enough to make it easier to get the thing off.  Counterclockwise turning.  Hold it tight and star with a snap to break it loose.

We finally got this solved by using this method, thank you!

• tturtle, wrvond and Sky King like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics