•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet C/2017 K2 Pan-STARRS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Juzwuz

Juzwuz

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 04 July 2022 - 12:23 AM

From my gallery:
comet c2017k2 St4

I wasn't sure I would be able to capture the comet through my Celestron EdgeHD 8" and 0.7X reducer (~1472 mm focal length) but I was able to look up the RA/DEC through theskylive website and after polar alignment, 1 star alignment and 1 plate solve I was able to see it on the SharpCap screen. 

This is 34 x 180 second, 10 darks, 50 flats, 50 darkflats stacked with DSS using the comet+star alignment. I can barely see the tail in the stretched stack (StarTools) but wasn't able to bring it out through processing without making a mess out of the rest of the image. I was using my ASI294MC-P at a gain of 121 and temperature of -15C, guided through an OAG and ASI224MC camera. 

Here's an animation of the frames:

I wasn't sure if there's an easy way to make the animation but I basically used DSS to process each separate frame with the calibration files. Then processed each calibrated frame with Startools using the same settings. Finally, used PIPP to make the animation with a framerate of 2 seconds per frame.

• Kenny V., h2ologg, Ljubo and 2 others like this

#2 tboss70

tboss70

Gemini

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 04 July 2022 - 08:33 AM

Nice work. I need to get back on this now that the clouds have cleared up, but suspect I will have the moon to deal with.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics