•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece tray for Losmandy G11? What are you using?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Luis Valley Colorado

Posted 04 July 2022 - 07:55 PM

The one thing the G11 doesn't have is an eyepiece tray. I've been getting along without put I have to put my EPs in my observing vest pockets and would prefer if possible to have a mounted accessory tray. Does anyone know where I can get an eyepiece tray that will fit my G11? What are you using?

Thanks

#2 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 04 July 2022 - 08:06 PM

I have a tray as part of my tripod (Berlebach Planet), though usually other stuff on it - camera, Barlow, iPhone, maybe an allen key; this has 1.25" and 2" holes.

The best solution for eyepieces is a turret, which eliminates the need to swap eyepieces to/from a tray or pocket etc..

https://www.cloudyni...th-70mm-on-top/

Edited by luxo II, 04 July 2022 - 08:07 PM.

#3 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2022 - 08:31 PM

Thanks Luxo ll. I also use a Berlebach for my Nova Hitch but my G11 is mounted on the Losmandy HD tripod of yesteryear. Am hoping to find something to fit.

#4 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 04 July 2022 - 09:18 PM

Berlebach sell their trays separately (two sizes) if you don't want to make one, the challenge is how to fit one to  your tripod...

#5 Jethro7

Jethro7

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 04 July 2022 - 10:06 PM

The one thing the G11 doesn't have is an eyepiece tray. I've been getting along without put I have to put my EPs in my observing vest pockets and would prefer if possible to have a mounted accessory tray. Does anyone know where I can get an eyepiece tray that will fit my G11? What are you using?

Thanks

Hello Dave,

I also have a G11G, I just keep the eyepieces in my eyepiece box that is placed on top a small folding table near by. I've thought about an eyepiece tray probably everytime I'm out using G11G. I found this.

https://youtu.be/LHNsxhsllAI

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 04 July 2022 - 10:08 PM.

• davebuechler likes this

#6 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 04 July 2022 - 10:22 PM

I keep my eyepieces in a Pelican type case which I leave on my pickup tail gate or on a very small folding table. My Celestron mounts had eyepiece holders on the tripod. My G11T doesn’t and I don’t miss them. 

#7 astrophile

astrophile

Viking 1

• Loc: NoVA Yellow Zone

Posted 04 July 2022 - 10:35 PM

Long ago someone on Astromart I think used to make and sell a tray solution for the LM HD tripod. I had one and liked it fine but decided to use a table instead. Essentially it was an aluminum disc with rubber gasket around the edge that wedged horizontally up against the inside of the tripod legs. It was held there by a threaded Rod that passed through the center of the disc, and through the space between the legs’ top ends inside the pier, and threaded tight in place with nuts & washers of appropriate size at each end.

Sorry if this isn’t a great description and that I have no pictures!

#8 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• Loc: US

Posted 05 July 2022 - 09:08 AM

I am not a fan of spending money for simple items that will spend their lives in the dark.  Like the larger tripod, my Losmandy LW lacks a tray. They used to make one, but no longer.

What did I do? Hopped down to Home Depot and bought the lid from one of their orange 5-gallon paint buckets (plastic) and a bolt and wingnut. In 5 minutes, I had a functional and pretty nice looking accessory tray. I'm pretty sure you can do the same for your tripod.

:)

• dswtan, Steve C., davebuechler and 1 other like this

#9 photoracer18

photoracer18

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 05 July 2022 - 03:23 PM

I use the little shelf system from A-P. I used to use one of the big trays with all the eyepiece holes with the Meade field tripod which is my preferred tripod for anything G11 and smaller.

#10 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 July 2022 - 04:19 PM

Hello Dave,
I also have a G11G, I just keep the eyepieces in my eyepiece box that is placed on top a small folding table near by. I've thought about an eyepiece tray probably everytime I'm out using G11G. I found this.

https://youtu.be/LHNsxhsllAI

Thanks Jethro. I try to put them back in the case but usually it’s only when my vest pockets are full! This looks promising but pricy. Maybe i will just move my case closer.

#11 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 July 2022 - 04:20 PM

I use the little shelf system from A-P. I used to use one of the big trays with all the eyepiece holes with the Meade field tripod which is my preferred tripod for anything G11 and smaller.

Thanks for you idea. I looked at these and wonder how it attaches. To the tripod head?

#12 Jethro7

Jethro7

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 05 July 2022 - 05:18 PM

Thanks Jethro. I try to put them back in the case but usually it’s only when my vest pockets are full! This looks promising but pricy. Maybe i will just move my case closer.

Hello Dave,

Unfortunately when Losmandy, finished the design of his telescope mounts, the tripods did not include places for storing accessories. If I am correct, I believe the tripods were designed before Losmandy got into Astronomy gear. These tripods were designed for suporting camera and lighting equipment for the film industry, which is Losmandy's primary business.

I use heavy duty Velcro to hold the hand contoler and other system devices on one of the tripod legs. I love the Losmandy mounts and either,  I have learned to adapt or have just become used to these issues. 

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP. Jethro

P.S. Having the eyepiece box close at hand or vest pockets are cheaper and you know they kind of work.

Edited by Jethro7, 05 July 2022 - 05:19 PM.

#13 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 05 July 2022 - 05:46 PM

Dave I can think of a neat solution.

1. Buy a Berlebach "Deposit" tray

https://www.berlebac...h=details&id=27

or with holes for eyepieces:

https://www.berlebac...=details&id=113

Choose the version "for tripods without spread stopper" - note this includes three steel hooks at each corner, bolted onto the tray.

2. Find 3 O-rings which fit neatly in the hooks and fit around the legs of the tripod. Slip the rings on then hook the tray onto the O-rings. You could use one large O-ring that fits snugly around the leg, and a second smaller one looped on the larger O-ring to secure the tray, 

You could alternatively use cable-ties if you think O-rings aren't strong enough.

Edited by luxo II, 05 July 2022 - 09:17 PM.

• Jethro7 likes this

#14 dswtan

dswtan

Apollo

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 07 July 2022 - 12:12 AM

What did I do? Hopped down to Home Depot and bought the lid from one of their orange 5-gallon paint buckets (plastic) and a bolt and wingnut. In 5 minutes, I had a functional and pretty nice looking accessory tray. I'm pretty sure you can do the same for your tripod.

Similar for my Losmandy LW - I used a metal cake tin for too long and it was noisy, so eventually got a nice black plastic tortilla warmer which is robust, quiet, and perfect - this model used to come in black, but others are available:

https://smile.amazon...uct/B00GY21QL0/

Edited by dswtan, 07 July 2022 - 12:12 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics