•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Rho Ophiuchi

Astrophotography DSLR
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 italic

italic

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 05 July 2022 - 03:29 AM

This is my first attempt at photographing Rho Ophiuchi while on vacation at a dark site. Antares is my favorite star, so I've been excited to grab this since I started AP. Thin clouds were passing the whole night, so I had to prune my session of 91 frames; the orange/yellow blurry corners are cloud smears. I had a telescope pointed at the Iris concurrently but I couldn't figure out why the exposures were so short (when I got home I discovered the camera was set to Av mode bawling.gif). Monsoons decided to crop up early, and only during the week I was there, and this was my only clear night. crazy.gif

I was very happy to capture the dark nebula and detail in M4, but then found an extra surprise in the Blue Horsehead Nebula while violently stretching. One day I'll plan another trip to get this constellation again.

Mingus Mountain, Prescott, AZ

Sony A57

Minolta 50mm f1.7, stopped to f2.5 for sharpness

ISO 1600

Lights: 76 x 20s

Darks: 16 x 20s

Flats: 34 taken next day

Orion Starshoot Compact Astro Tracker

Full resolution

Attached Thumbnails

• rho_CN.jpg

Edited by italic, 05 July 2022 - 03:30 AM.

• lambermo, Ljubo, chrysalis and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, DSLR

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics