•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vacationing with the telescope

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DFHuie82

DFHuie82

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Marietta, Georgia

Posted 05 July 2022 - 02:35 PM

Hello fellow astronomy enthusiasts,

Been a while since I have posted on Cloudy Nights but getting ready to leave Friday heading down to New Smyrna Beach Florida for some fun and relaxation! 

I am taking my telescope this year and after visiting the desktop program Stellarium, it looks there are going to be some good viewing around midnighf of Saturn, Andromeda, the Moon and maybe Jupiter.

Already have ordered a cell phone adapter and Bluetooth remote for my first try at astrophotography but what better place to start than at the beach. Will share some pictures on here when I get back. Just hope there are favorable viewing conditions!

By the  way, New Smyrna Beach is around 30 minutes below Daytona Beach and have been vacationing there since I was 3 and am now 58. Got to love the beach! As Jeff Spicolli quoted in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine" Cannot remember if he mentioned anything about a telescope though.....LOL.

Any other members here vacationed in New Smyrna Beach?

Take care everyone and happy viewing!

• jiblet65 and CowTipton like this

#2 CowTipton

CowTipton

Apollo

• Loc: NW Chicago Suburbs

Posted 05 July 2022 - 03:14 PM

How long are you staying?

There's a SpaceX launch on the 14th.

#3 DFHuie82

DFHuie82

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Marietta, Georgia

Posted 05 July 2022 - 03:41 PM

Viking 1....we are going to be down there Saturday the 9th thru the next Saturday. Thanks for letting me know about the launch.....will definitely check into that! 

#4 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Vanguard

Posted 06 July 2022 - 12:09 AM

Hey, Viking_1, from 1988 to 2005 there was no way I'd even thinking about not going camping with a telescope. Yes, absolutely. Get the best portable scope you can, if you haven't already, then go camping and "scoping". You won't regret it!

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#5 darthteddy93

darthteddy93

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 06 July 2022 - 11:42 AM

I once flew with an AWB 1Sky 130 from LA to SLC on the way to WY for the solar eclipse as WY has more dark skies accessible than what I can find easily here. Unfortunately, I didn't quite end up using it there. 

Nowadays, with my 8" dob, it's harder to fly with. It even takes up most of my car. I am considering getting an collapsable 8" dob when prices come down. No rush though as I imagine it'll take some time for supply/demand to get back to normal. 

#6 jiblet65

jiblet65

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: la Florida

Posted 08 July 2022 - 07:31 AM

Hello fellow astronomy enthusiasts,

Been a while since I have posted on Cloudy Nights but getting ready to leave Friday heading down to New Smyrna Beach Florida for some fun and relaxation! 

I am taking my telescope this year and after visiting the desktop program Stellarium, it looks there are going to be some good viewing around midnighf of Saturn, Andromeda, the Moon and maybe Jupiter.

Already have ordered a cell phone adapter and Bluetooth remote for my first try at astrophotography but what better place to start than at the beach. Will share some pictures on here when I get back. Just hope there are favorable viewing conditions!

By the  way, New Smyrna Beach is around 30 minutes below Daytona Beach and have been vacationing there since I was 3 and am now 58. Got to love the beach! As Jeff Spicolli quoted in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine" Cannot remember if he mentioned anything about a telescope though.....LOL.

Any other members here vacationed in New Smyrna Beach?

Take care everyone and happy viewing!

Wish I had seen this earlier. I'm right down the road from you. If you haven't tried Yellow Dog Eats or Third Wave Cafe I'd highly recommend going to one of them before you leave. Tonight looking to the SE over Sagittarius you might be able to locate comet C/2017 K2 but with the waxing Moon it may be washed out. Looking over the ocean to the NE, E and SE will give you the best views and you should get a good view of M13. Early morning you'll have the Pleiades and the Hyades Cluster in Taurus and the Andromeda Galaxy will be almost directly NE. Hope you had some good views already.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics