•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M9 – a globular cluster in Ophiuchus

DSO Observing Report Sketching
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bphaneuf

bphaneuf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waxhaw NC [34° 55' 28" N / 80° 44' 36" W]

Posted 05 July 2022 - 02:39 PM

Tired of the GCs yet?  It's all I've got, unless it clears up tonight.  The moon should set just before 1AM, so fingers crossed.  Transparency is predicted to be rather poor, but seeing shouldn't be too bad. 

M9 is another loosely concentrated globular with a Shapley-Sawyer classification of VIII.  It does have a significant stellar population of over 250,000, but its distance of 25,500 ly makes it appear rather small. 

Observing: 13mm EP with 235x magnification as this one is rather small.  AV over time with some blinking consistently showed a barely brighter central region, but it’s offset to the SW (upper left).  Small chains of brighter stars kinda frame the core, such as it is, and populate the edges of the halo to the north.  A pair of stars just to the SW of the halo were bright enough to be taken as foreground stars.  The brighter stars in the halo stand out more due to the core not being very concentrated, I think.   The wind calmed a bit so I think seeing held up fairly well.  The moon was still over 2 hours from setting and just under 50% illuminated, which may also explain why the outer edges of the halo didn’t extend very far.

Sketching: White powder, white pastel pencil, and white gel pen on Hamilco 80lb. black card stock.  Soft pencil for the field and brighter cluster stars, and hard for the outer halo stars.   The brightest field and cluster stars got a dot from the gel pen.  Used a medium/large brush with barely any powder to establish the extent of the cluster’s halo, then went back with a little more powder on a small to medium round tip brush to build up the brighter area to the upper left.  Used the same brush empty to blend and soften any edges.

Attached Thumbnails

• M9.jpg

Edited by bphaneuf, 05 July 2022 - 04:17 PM.

• frank5817, Mel Bartels, Jef De Wit and 11 others like this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

James Webb Space Telescope

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 05 July 2022 - 02:46 PM

Butch,

Messier 9 is a fine globular cluster. It is nice that you are going through all these fine globulars. Nice sketching.

Frank :)

• firemachine69 and bphaneuf like this

#3 mdowns

mdowns

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 05 July 2022 - 03:53 PM

You know Butch ,your timing is impeccable.As Martijn closes down his southern caldwell drawings,you've been hitting these globs into R field. Keep them coming sir,they're a hoot to see and enjoy.

• bphaneuf likes this

#4 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

• Loc: San Luis Valley Colorado

Posted 05 July 2022 - 04:09 PM

Another great sketch and report. Thanks for sharing!
  • bphaneuf likes this

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:53 AM

Butch,

Fine sketch of M-9 – (A globular cluster in Ophiuchus) smile.gif .

CDS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#6 azarquiel.2001

azarquiel.2001

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sevilla, Spain

Posted 10 July 2022 - 02:03 PM

Amazing Butch!!

Very nice sketch, I love sketches because they are very close what you can see, always better than any picture to represent your observation and it is absolutely more real. Let me put side-2-side to a picture that I have treated to represent what I saw with my 18", your sketch is very accurate. Congrats

M9_scketch_vs_picture.png

Edited by azarquiel.2001, 10 July 2022 - 02:04 PM.

• niteskystargazer, Warmvet and bphaneuf like this

#7 bphaneuf

bphaneuf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2022 - 02:45 PM

Whoa!  That's cool!  Thanks much for that confirmation.  Not sure what was up with the center core being so understated in the sketch.  Maybe I was too focused on those those stand out resolved stars.  Really good of you to do this.    Do you sketch yourself?  I've found it to be a very valuable and productive tool for developing my observing skills. 

-b

• azarquiel.2001 likes this

#8 Warmvet

Warmvet

Vanguard

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 10 July 2022 - 08:16 PM

Great sketch Butch, the white gel pen really makes the brighter stars pop and the brush charcoal gives the globular a very realistic appearance. 

Cindy

• bphaneuf likes this

#9 azarquiel.2001

azarquiel.2001

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sevilla, Spain

Posted 11 July 2022 - 04:02 AM

Whoa!  That's cool!  Thanks much for that confirmation.  Not sure what was up with the center core being so understated in the sketch.  Maybe I was too focused on those those stand out resolved stars.  Really good of you to do this.    Do you sketch yourself?  I've found it to be a very valuable and productive tool for developing my observing skills. 

-b

I draw some sketches with my old Visac 200L but it took me so much time and it was when I was able to observe comfortably seated in a chair. Now, most of the time, I need to get on a small two-step ladder so it is quite complex for me. So I jump to the creation of cards taking pictures from public sources as DSS from Palomar Mountain. But I love sketching, it allows you to focus on a lot of more details when you are observing an object. And you sketch is awesome Butch!

Best skies, Israel. 

• bphaneuf likes this

#10 bphaneuf

bphaneuf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:56 AM

I draw some sketches with my old Visac 200L but it took me so much time and it was when I was able to observe comfortably seated in a chair. Now, most of the time, I need to get on a small two-step ladder so it is quite complex for me. So I jump to the creation of cards taking pictures from public sources as DSS from Palomar Mountain. But I love sketching, it allows you to focus on a lot of more details when you are observing an object. And you sketch is awesome Butch!

Best skies, Israel. 

You can probably see the ladder next to the 24 in my avatar.  More than 2 steps!  So I hear you.  I use a clipboard with white observation journal pages so I can carry it up and down easily.  I have a shallow plastic tray with pencils, stumps, etc, in which I've taped rare earth magnets.  That way the tray sticks to the metal and doesn't get knocked off easily when I move the ladder around.  I also clip a clip-on desk lamp to the clipboard.  It's heavily filtered with red gel and pointed at the paper from off to one side so I don't get too much glare.  It still messes with dark adaptation, but not as badly as it would if it shined straight back into my eyes.  After sketching for a bit I'll turn off the light and close my eyes for some minutes, then observe more before getting back to the sketch.   Usually I'll check online afterwards to verify details, confirming what I saw or didn't.   After that I'll redo the sketch onto black paper with the Mellish technique. 

-b

Edited by bphaneuf, 11 July 2022 - 07:56 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSO, Observing Report, Sketching

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics