•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My New Observatory.....I'm Under Construction!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
240 replies to this topic

#226 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:59 PM

Thanks Steph,

It was well worth the wait.

#227 Joel

Joel

Gemini

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:00 PM

Looks great Steve! The landscaping is a nice touch. I just wish it was as farther along in spring here.

#228 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

In Memoriam - R.I.P. (1943-2016)

• In Memoriam

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

Now I have to ask the question everyone else is afraid to ask...

Did you set off a Flare or have some loud music blasting away just to let you very nice and very accommodating neighbor know that your Observatory is now officially functional..

Bob G.

#229 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

Bob,

For the most part they've been keeping out of sight and minding their p's & q's. I had my nephew who lives with us, one of my friends and my uncle out there. We tried to keep low and quiet. But they knew. They made a bonfire on purpose, but the winds were with me and blew the haze right back at 'em. They are north of me and I very rarely observe in that direction. There's always a slight sky glow from the horizon and up a bit from the Walmart which is 14 miles away.

It was a great night. Except for the wedge align mode... :mad: :question:

#230 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:24 PM

Fantastic!!!

Congrats on first light, sorry about algnment mode.. :lol:

IIRC, You never let us know what happened with their fence move.. :)

How'd that go ? Inquiring minds would like to know. :lol:

#231 oldsalt

oldsalt

Astro Philosopher

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

Glad to hear all went well. The minor glitch with alignment mode will give you a good excuse to go out again.

#232 Bob Riggs

Bob Riggs

Ranger 4

• In Memoriam

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

I hear that, I'm heading out.

If I'm not back in 5 minutes, wait longer......... :lol:

Very funny! :lol: :roflmao: :lol:

I can't tell you how happy I am for you, Br'er Steve. It's been a long time coming. Glad to hear you're feeling better. The landscaping is top notch, as befits your whole lash-up. Well done, very well done indeed!

Cheers, and CDS!

Bob

#233 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

Mark,
Thanks.

The fence was moved along my property where my service road is. It was right up on my property line in some spots, you can see where one of the old posts were. It was supposed to be 30 feet off my property line and now it is. So all is well.
They took the rest down & left it down.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1563475-Clipboardfence.jpg

#234 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:38 AM

Thanks Jim.

I wanted to go out last night but the clouds rolled in.

Bob,

Many thanks and I'm back to my normal self :cool: I think.... :lol:

The outside is done and now I'll be adding things to the inside a little at a time as funds allow, because as we all know there's always another gadget we just have to have :lol:

#235 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:10 AM

Steve... :cool:

Following this thread has been a thrill... :grin:

Your place is beautiful, and apart from the *DeVills* that live next door, you had a great *Opening*. :jump:

I'm just waiting for grass to come in. After planting 1 1/2 acres of the stuff, I never knew wating for grass could be so painful.....

My grand opening for GOMOC is July 6th/7th.
Big BBQ, and party planned. I'm having T shirts made up, and I hope the weather cooperates.

Your excitement is shared....

Great Job..I am proud of you.

Rob
GOMOC

#236 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:41 AM

Rob,

Same here. I've been reading thru yours the last day or so trying to catch up on everything I missed.

Your place ain't too shabby either. Wow! thats going to be quite a complex for everyone to share and what scenery.

I share your anticipation on your new project and the grass growing. I'm trying to grow some myself. (Don't even go there, I know what you all may be thinkin'... the legal kind...the kind you mow) :lol:

Congrats on such a great endeavor and best wishes.....

#237 Richard Scott

Richard Scott

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:30 PM

Steve, following your progress was the inspiration for me do something. Nothing so grand as your fine observatory, but thanks.

As to the wedge/mount question, it is surmounting such challenges that make us what we are. you’ll get it right, I have no doubt.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Richard

#238 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:42 PM

Thanks Richard,

Thats very true, I can't wait to get at it and tackle the problem and I'm sure I learn something new while I'm at it.
I have a big learning curve to chip away at.

#239 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:22 PM

Rob,

Same here. I've been reading thru yours the last day or so trying to catch up on everything I missed.

Your place ain't too shabby either. Wow! thats going to be quite a complex for everyone to share and what scenery.

I share your anticipation on your new project and the grass growing. I'm trying to grow some myself. (Don't even go there, I know what you all may be thinkin'... the legal kind...the kind you mow) :lol:

Congrats on such a great endeavor and best wishes.....

Thanks. I had considered building an OB for my scope too, but then determined that an OB isn't going to work, since my pier is hydraulic, and it raises around 46". :o That puts the dewcap at around 15' in the air. My dome roof would need to be at least that high. Then to see anything at the horizon the window would need to be low. What kinda dome looks like that????

I prefer to be out under the stars any way. Where I can see, and go where I want to. Wielding that scope around makes doming it quite problematic.

Your OB is sweet, and you put many extra touches in it that makes it so. The landscaping gives it that great *curb* appeal.

Keep in touch.. :jump:

Rob
GOMOC

#240 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

Rob,

Will do.

Now thats a scope that begs to be under the stars & in the great wide open.

I like the logo too......very cool :cool:

#241 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

Rob,

Will do.

Now thats a scope that begs to be under the stars & in the great wide open.

I like the logo too......very cool :cool:

Indeed, you are correct. Any building that limits the hydraulic system or the range of motion is not worth having. Even if it is a cool 12' dome.

Right now, rolling it out of its scope garage on to the fiewing field, works far better, and is much quicker than any other option I have looked into.

The Logo works for me, cause it expresses exploration, and the excitement of discovery.

Thank you for all your kind comments.

Good luck with your fine OB.

I'll post a new image of the grass growing(Oh boy)

Rob
GOMOC

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics