•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My New Observatory.....I'm Under Construction!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
240 replies to this topic

#76 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:42 PM

Not much going on. The delivery date for the OB has been adjusted to the week of December 3rd. I hate waiting but oh well.
I did find the flooring to put in. Its from Humane Manufacturing. Its a floating 3/4in. interlocking rubber flooring product. Its quiet & comfortable under foot, dampens out vibration and wears forever. Nice too if you drop an eyepiece or something more expensive like... I can not speak it, oh the horror. The only drawback is its a budget killer.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1273936-ACF9BE.jpg

#77 Neil

Neil

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:12 AM

Steve, that flooring looks brilliant.
I wonder if that is available in the UK??? :question:
Also are you laying onto wood, as I would be laying onto concrete?
Any ideas what would be suitable for me?

Looks like our delivery times are neck and neck, my OTA for the dome looks like w/c 4-12-2006 (4th December).
Can't wait...... :jump:

Regards,
Neil.

#78 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:18 AM

Neil,

Its really nice. It's sold as equine flooring for horse stalls or for weight rooms & gyms. Mine is going over wood, but it can installed over wood, concrete, tile. Cuts with a sharp razor knife. I ordered a 10x10 horse stall layout & I'm just going to lay the lower OB ring on top trace it with a grease pencil & cut into a circle & trim around the pier too. It will probably last forever, comes with a 12 yr warranty. Its from Humane Manufacturing, I believe they are global. It comes 3/8, 1/2 & 3/4 thickness, the 3/4 was recommended by them but it costs the most. But its the last floor I'll put in. Its a floating interlocking floor, no glue down, so it can be taken up easily, cleans easily.
Humane Manufacturing

#79 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:47 AM

Steve,

Looks very nice so far! The flooring looks pretty safe too.
Not sure why you would have trouble peeling the sonotube. Even if you didn't coat the inside, they are usually not that tough. I've peeled many off lighting pole bases. If you have trouble, a "whistle" grinder (die grinder) might help.

#80 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:08 PM

PJ,

Thanks. The flooring is really sweet. Its worth the extra cost.
I'm going to take a cut off wheel to it, that will get it. :grin:

#81 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:24 PM

Steve,

Awesome work and a nice looking piece of property to boot :)

Now the bad news Lol

I just picked up the same flooring at Sports Authority. 4 2x2 squares to a pack. I got them for $20 bucks each. They will cover the 8x10 floor of my Obs next spring. $100 bucks plus tax. :)

Good luck with the rest of it and keep the pictures coming!

CS's

#82 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:55 PM

Thanks, its getting there.
I almost got those. You got a deal. The sports authority here wanted 24.99 for each muscle mat 2x2 tile 2 pack unless I wanted seconds. I believe RB makes those. The Humane Loktuff was better underfoot & wears like iron, lot of horse people out here swear by them, still going strong after 15 years. I have 100 sq. ft. so it would cost me 325.00 for 1/2in supermat tiles, the Humane was 319.00 for 3/4in. They come in a custom cut layout consisting of mostly 4x6 tiles & 2 fillers These weigh 100 lbs apiece.. The Humane warranty can't be beat though.

#83 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:05 PM

How are they underfoot ?? Soft with alot of give, or somewhat "hard" with little to no give ??

I was considering something similar for my obs and decided not to for now..

#84 MichaelW

MichaelW

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:30 PM

I will be using stall mats in my observatory next spring when I can get the stall matts to flex again. The stall matts are old tires shredded and re-compressed and are a little hard, not too hard though but very durable as my horses haven't managed to tear them up even with shoes and the inevitable nail head. I like the interlocking part but I (personally) don't think it's that big of a deal as the matts will be cut to fit and won't really have a place to slide to. The hardest part will be getting them into the observatory, upstairs. :eek: The stall matts are 4x6 and about $48 a sheet and each sheet is about 1" thick.

Your observatory is coming along quite nicely Steve!

#85 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:37 PM

Mark,

They are not rock hard like most of the gym mats or tiles. These have a little give, best way to describe them I guess is they have an anti fatigue quality to them. The Diamond Mega plate tiles are very hard, anything along that line are made for weight rooms. The Humane Manufacturing was what was recommended to me. Watch the cheapies though, some are pvc, some are recycled tires, nothing wrong with the recycling part, I found out some of the companies are leaving bits of the steel belts in during the process of turning them into tiles.

#86 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:42 PM

Thank you Michael.

Mine are also 4x6 & weigh about 100 lbs each, they won't move once installed. Mine come interlocking or with a straight edge & butt together. I liked the interlocking, virtually seamless. Nice thing about them is you can take them up and/or take them with you if you move.

#87 chuck_c

chuck_c

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:21 PM

FYI: kit and caboodle

#88 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:59 PM

FYI: kit and caboodle

Chuck, were abouts is the homestead in Seattle??

We struck our claim in Bremerton.

Rob :question:

#89 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:29 PM

Not much going on. The delivery date for the OB has been adjusted to the week of December 3rd. I hate waiting but oh well.
I did find the flooring to put in. Its from Humane Manufacturing. Its a floating 3/4in. interlocking rubber flooring product. Its quiet & comfortable under foot, dampens out vibration and wears forever. Nice too if you drop an eyepiece or something more expensive like... I can not speak it, oh the horror. The only drawback is its a budget killer.

Tha's good stuff. I use it in may workshop and keep two squares in my motorhome in case I have to crawl underneath it on the road.

#90 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:25 AM

Alright, I was going to leave the concrete form on as the manufacturer suggests, but hey I just had to see what was under there. I've seen some pictures of "Pours Gone Bad", & no you can't buy the video from some sleazy late night TV infomercial. Except for a couple of marks here or there, I'm happy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1281876-Clipboardpiern.jpg

#91 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:57 AM

Looks nice and smooth Steve.. :)

Hmmmm, Don't I recognise those green things with the 3 white insulators on em ?? They seem VERY familiar to me.. :lol: Quite shocking IIRC... :question: :grin:

#92 Richard B. Drumm

Richard B. Drumm

Apollo

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:18 AM

Izzat the neighbor from "he-double-hockey-sticks" that I see through the trees?
Then the fence is a bug zapper! :lol:
Rich

#93 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

:lol:

Don't want to go there :lol:

Those would be the critter 'gitters...

Yeah it turned out real nice :jump:

#94 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:45 AM

Rich,
No thats my woods & then a farm behind me, those folks would be the opposite direction. The critter 'gitter will light up your life so to speak :lol:

#95 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:10 PM

The critter 'gitter will light up your life so to speak :lol:

Trust me, I can attest to it.. I definetly wouldn't wanna do that again..

#96 dgs©

dgs©

Hubble

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:28 PM

Concrete looks nice. You poured well. :waytogo:
To make it a little warmer to the touch in winter, you could glue on a scrap of carpet with some good construction adhesive.

#97 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:24 PM

David,

Thanks. Its going to be carpet or rope. Not sure yet

#98 Richard B. Drumm

Richard B. Drumm

Apollo

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:10 PM

Yeah, Steve, that's the nicest pour I think I've ever seen! Was it a soupy mix? Did you parge it afterward?
It's so darn smooth and visually perfect... Super job!
Rich

#99 dgs©

dgs©

Hubble

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:30 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot you had mentioned the rope coil before I think.
Might be harder than carpet to work around the electrical outlets, but it would look cool. :)

#100 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:08 PM

Your right about that, it would look real nice, but its a bit more complicated. Dunno yet.... :shrug:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics