•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASTRO-TECH AT80EDT F/6 ED TRIPLET REFRACTOR vs SVBONY SV550 APO OTA Refractor Telescope 80mm Triplet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Somldab2

Somldab2

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2022 - 12:29 PM

SVBONY SV550 APO OTA Refractor Telescope 80mm Triplet or

ASTRO-TECH AT80EDT F/6 ED TRIPLET REFRACTOR

I am having a hard time deciding between these, they seem to be very close in specs and the only difference I can find is the Astro-Tech is made in the U.S.A. and the SVBONY is made outside the U.S.A.

The SVBONY is having a really great sale now and both seem to have the same reviews that I can find.

Thank You Everyone for your recommendations and inputs 

#2 Nemo51

Nemo51

Vostok 1

Posted 06 July 2022 - 12:44 PM

I don’t think the AT is made in the Us.  I have and love products from both.

#3 Skysmacker

Skysmacker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bay Area CA

Posted 06 July 2022 - 12:46 PM

Hmmm, both seem like good scopes. I know very little about these brands but I suspect that AT is also made over seas. 

SVBONY is a good price but in case you were not aware, if you get the AT from Astronomics and let them know your forum name, you can get a discount on your purchase.

Personally, I would go for the AT over the SVBONY simply because the sponsorship of Astronomics and people seem to really like their AT scopes here.

Cheers and good luck on your purchase!

Edited by Skysmacker, 06 July 2022 - 12:47 PM.

#4 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 06 July 2022 - 12:55 PM

AT is made in China and rebranded for Astronomics as the Astro Tech brand.  I own one and love it, so I am biased.  I would get the Astrotech scope.

That being said I also own an Svbony guidescope and it's fine too.

#5 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Gemini

• Loc: Florida

Posted 06 July 2022 - 01:09 PM

I'm another with both AT and SVBONY kit, only doublets though, and am happy with them.  I believe that the AT80EDT and SVBONY 550 are to the same design, from the same manufacturer, so essentially identical.

Allow for the cost difference for a focal reducer.  You'll probably want one too, although you can mix and match.

Edited by SchoolMaster, 07 July 2022 - 05:40 AM.

#6 Sheridan

Sheridan

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston Tx.

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:58 PM

I believe they are both from the same manufacturer, just different labeling. SVBony's have a built in rotator, however I do not know if the 550 has one. AT and SV are both good scopes.

Edited by Sheridan, 06 July 2022 - 08:59 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics