•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moving back from imaging to EAA - with fresh new equipment :)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tomas_mojzis

tomas_mojzis

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Prague, Czech Republic

Posted 06 July 2022 - 12:41 PM

Hello,

because we decided to move from suburban village to small town, my imaging days are over frown.gif (at least for now). Because I like to image galaxies and other broadband objects, image processing become more pain than pleasure. I sold all my previous imaging stuff, bought new ASI 533MM camera and Starizona Nexus 0.75x Newtonian reducer. This changed my 12in f4 scope into f3 photon eater. I had problems with collimation but these were resolved by utilizing OCAL electronic collimator and threaded connection of imaging train to focuser. Below are images from first (yet) two nights from my light polluted front yard near Prague, Czech republic.

There is a lot of stuff to learn again, because few years ago i used simple Atik Infinity camera and software and it was a joy. Now I have to learn how to deal with gain, offset, SharpCap features etc. But it looks like that camera and reducer are great match to my near astrograph grade scope, and I look forward for next clear nights.

Thanks to members of this forum, EAA is for me a great way to stay in touch with my lifetime hobby smile.gif

All images were taken at unity gain, no flats, darks applied, saved as seen in Sharpcap. First next thing is to apply flats - evenly illuminated background will help with more convenient image stretch and allow to reveal more contrast and details. 

NGC5907 Stack 20frames 600s WithDisplayStretch

M51 Stack 20frames 300s WithDisplayStretch

M13 Stack 12frames 180s WithDisplayStretch

DracoTrio Stack 20frames 600s WithDisplayStretch

This is my astrograph currently used for EAA

Carbon NWT 300/1200 on EQ8

More images from first sessions can be found here

M13 Stack 12frames 180s WithDisplayStretch
Album: EAA - 2022-06-21
3 images
0 comments

DracoTrio Stack 20frames 600s WithDisplayStretch
Album: EAA - 2022-06-23
7 images
0 comments

• Markovich, barbarosa, mklosterman1 and 11 others like this

#2 steveincolo

steveincolo

Apollo

• Loc: Boulder, Colorado, US

Posted 06 July 2022 - 01:16 PM

Very nice!  I’m impressed that the corners still look good with your fast setup.  

Even if you prefer galaxies, I think you might really enjoy using that setup with an Ha filter for emission nebulas.  

• BrentKnight likes this

#3 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 06 July 2022 - 01:42 PM

Hi Tomas:

In addition to the narrow band Ha filter mentioned by Steve, you might really enjoy one of the dual or /tri-band nebula filters made by Optalong. Mine is the L-eNhance but a newer one called the L-eXtreme has had even better reviews.

Welcome to EAA!

Gary

ps: Nice set-up. Is the 12" F4 scope from TS Optiks?

• steveincolo likes this

#4 dcweaver

dcweaver

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:00 AM

Serious artillery!  That thing is a Howitzer!

#5 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 07 July 2022 - 05:48 AM

Nice equipment and welcome to the EAA Forum.

#6 tomas_mojzis

tomas_mojzis

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Prague, Czech Republic

Posted 11 July 2022 - 02:02 AM

ps: Nice set-up. Is the 12" F4 scope from TS Optiks?

Yes, this is formerly TS UNC scope. I've bought it used, then continously upgraded - new focuser, new spider, new secondary, new primary mirror cell. Only mirror and carbon tube is original.

#7 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 11 July 2022 - 11:46 AM

Welcome!

Nice rig!!

And you'll have SharpCap figured out and be doing flats in no time. I'll look forward to more of your images.

• Tfer likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics