•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AZ Mount Pro with 2" Tripod

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 06 July 2022 - 01:13 PM

I  bought one of these a few months ago and am just now getting to know it better. When I turn the mount on it immediately calibrates itself. Since it's daylight I can't tell how precise it is but everything seems to be OK with that.

What's very odd is that it immediately wants to align to the sun. This is obviously a bad idea. It would disastrous during the day and pointless at night. Is there any way to alter this start up behavior. What I did was to kill the alignment and then go in and do a new alignment using the planets (just a rough test) as I know where they are right now. Is this OK? 

If anyone has any good tricks for leveling this mount, please let me know. Today on level ground it took maybe 5 minutes but having tested it in a few different locations, I find that it can take me a while as I don't have an optimal workflow or a good trick. Any help appreciated. 

Rgrds-Ross

#2 steveincolo

steveincolo

Apollo

• Loc: Boulder, Colorado, US

Posted 06 July 2022 - 01:25 PM

Leveling the mount takes me less than a minute now, thanks to Graham’s (username biz) procedure.  

IIRC, you can use the hand controller to pick a different alignment target.  

#3 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2022 - 03:48 PM

Thanks. I printed out the instructions and will use them at the next star party that I attend. Just to be clear, cancelling the Sun alignment doesn't hurt anything, I just need to align to 3 stars instead. 

Rgds-Ross

• steveincolo likes this

#4 aneeg

aneeg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 06 July 2022 - 03:56 PM

At daytime, skip the Sun and go for Venus, or the Moon. Or put on a solar film and be safe.

I have completely dropped the alignment routine. I choose a bright object at night, sleive to that, sync that object and the select zero position. Then the alignment is ok.

Arne

• steveincolo likes this

#5 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2022 - 04:25 PM

Makes sense, it worried me that the mount thought that alignment using the sun was a good idea. Seemed daft to me. 

Rgrds-Ross

#6 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 06 July 2022 - 07:18 PM

Strange.

My AZ Pro had a software lock that would prevent slewing to the Sun. Any daytime sessions the mount would pick the Moon or a planet if they were up. If none were available then a bright star. Maybe check to see if the lock is disabled? 

• steveincolo and akdwivedi like this

#7 akdwivedi

akdwivedi

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 07 July 2022 - 12:13 AM

I  bought one of these a few months ago and am just now getting to know it better. When I turn the mount on it immediately calibrates itself. Since it's daylight I can't tell how precise it is but everything seems to be OK with that.

What's very odd is that it immediately wants to align to the sun. This is obviously a bad idea. It would disastrous during the day and pointless at night. Is there any way to alter this start up behavior. What I did was to kill the alignment and then go in and do a new alignment using the planets (just a rough test) as I know where they are right now. Is this OK? 

If anyone has any good tricks for leveling this mount, please let me know. Today on level ground it took maybe 5 minutes but having tested it in a few different locations, I find that it can take me a while as I don't have an optimal workflow or a good trick. Any help appreciated. 

Rgrds-Ross

Hi Ross.. I dont see the 2 inch tripod option with AZmp.. they offer the literoc 1.75inch or trie pier options.. they do sell a 2 inch tripod but that doesnt show if it supports az mount pro. I think they did used to sell the older MT 2/Pro with a 2 inch tripod.

#8 biz

biz

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 07 July 2022 - 12:47 AM

Hi Ross.. I dont see the 2 inch tripod option with AZmp.. they offer the literoc 1.75inch or trie pier options.. they do sell a 2 inch tripod but that doesnt show if it supports az mount pro. I think they did used to sell the older MT 2/Pro with a 2 inch tripod.

Yes any tripod that fits the earlier mini towers will fit the Az mount pro as the footprint is exactly the same.

The earlier two inch is a good match for the AZ pro.

cheers

Graham

#9 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:08 AM

I just copied the description from the OPT website. I have not measured the tripod and would not be surprised if it's just 1.75 and the literoc version. 

Rgrds-Ross

• akdwivedi likes this

#10 steveincolo

steveincolo

Apollo

• Loc: Boulder, Colorado, US

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:23 PM

I just copied the description from the OPT website. I have not measured the tripod and would not be surprised if it's just 1.75 and the literoc version. 

Rgrds-Ross

The 1.75” LiteRoc works fine for me.  I have another one for my CEM40 and it is fine there, too.  Just be sure to really tighten the legs. 

Edited by steveincolo, 07 July 2022 - 01:24 PM.

#11 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2022 - 02:34 PM

I set it up in my backyard and checked my order and it's the 1.75 literoc. Since then we have had - in Southern California in the summer - not even a hint of the sun or even a patch of blue sky. I'm giving it one more day that then I'm selling it. 

#12 Xeroid

Xeroid

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 07 July 2022 - 08:29 PM

rgsalinger:

Rather unfortunate you are not giving AZ MP a reasonable chance...

As CN user aneeg said, one can use the manual AZMP alignment procedure OR the power on alignment  wizard.

I alternate either and can setup my C9.25 + 20 lbs counterweights in 10 minuets or less.

Once I am aligned to say Vega, I can view M13 for 45+ minutes, centered with a 9mm eyepeice.

Piece of cake, fast and so simple....and I didn't need to get a second mortgage lol.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200724_154959022-a.jpg

Edited by Xeroid, 07 July 2022 - 10:33 PM.

#13 akdwivedi

akdwivedi

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 07 July 2022 - 10:58 PM

rgsalinger:

Rather unfortunate you are not giving AZ MP a reasonable chance...

As CN user aneeg said, one can use the manual AZMP alignment procedure OR the power on alignment  wizard.

I alternate either and can setup my C9.25 + 20 lbs counterweights in 10 minuets or less.

Once I am aligned to say Vega, I can view M13 for 45+ minutes, centered with a 9mm eyepeice.

Piece of cake, fast and so simple....and I didn't need to get a second mortgage lol.gif

that's a very cool setup. I wasnt sure that this will support a c9.25 very well..I have the C8 Edge HD on my list once the supply situations improve and dollar exchange rate settles down a bit.

I have to say that auto-alignment always goes to vega. Based on my location, it should be picking something like rigel which is the brightest star in my skies these days. I had hit back when it tried to slew to vega and then select rigel. After that it was fine.  it did finish in less than 10 minutes from the time I switched the mount.

Give it a try Ross.. its been just 2 days for me and I am loving this pre-loved mount. slightly smaller and better (since it can hold 2x scopes with secondary saddle) than my previous evolution. I also intend to get the binocular mounting bracket from oberwerk and use it for my 25x100 bino.

• steveincolo likes this

#14 aneeg

aneeg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 08 July 2022 - 12:40 AM

I have mine on a concrete pier ready levelled under a Telegizmo. Attach the Mewlon 210 and cws, switch on the power and ready to start. Keeps the objects in the middle of the ep for hours.

Arne

• akdwivedi likes this

#15 Xeroid

Xeroid

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 08 July 2022 - 09:49 AM

goodjob.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics