•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RA worm gear for Celestron SPC-6 Mount

Mount Equipment Classic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 G8wayg8r

G8wayg8r

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2022 - 02:57 PM

I was given a Celestron SPC-6 along with a DMD-1 hand controller and the RA and declination motors. The telescope is in great shape now after a few light repairs and a little TCL - gluing the knob of that odd-ball focuser back together, oiling the mahogany stand, cleaning the primary, and giving it a good collimation. The one problem I have no solution to is the bent RA worm gear and I'm hesitant to attempt bending it straight since there is a huge potential of making the situation much worse. The RA seems to track well enough for observation but the wobble prevent the gear teeth from engaging squarely and over time it could create uneven wear to the point where it will no longer work.

My question is where to find a gear. Does anyone have a good resource for such things or have one that is waiting for a good home?

A link to a pdf of the DMD-1 instruction manual would be lovely as well, since as funny as it may sound, I'm still a little unsure if the functions are fine or something is wrong and that's what I need to live with.

I'm not sure where the best place to post this request is on this forum but the description read like it would fit here. Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy

Edited by G8wayg8r, 15 July 2022 - 02:58 PM.

#2 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:25 PM

For know, I would recommend swapping it out for the declination gear. At your RA tracking would be smooth with no slack or binding.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount, Equipment, Classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics