•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Watermark symbols on a 60mm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• topic starter

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:02 AM

Hi all
Does anyone know what the watermark on my Swidt 839 60mm refractor might mean.. It looks like a combined AMA, or AVA, in an oval shape. I would be interested if anyone knows where Swift got their optics in the early 60s..
This is a wonderful scope, smooth mount, beautiful views and a joy to use. It would be nice to know where (assuming Japan) these were made and by whom.
Thanks a bunch
Carol W.

#2 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:06 PM

Carol,

Is your Swift 839 an old scope, because after googling it, I found a listing for it on a well-known online camera store? Here's their description:

Description
The Swift #839 Searcher has a 60mm objective lens, heavy rubber armor, and fully coated lenses. It comes with a turret which rotates to provide either straight through or 45 degree viewing and contains two orthoscopic eyepieces, 20x and 40x. Optional accessories include a 30x and 50x eyepiece, a close-focusing lens which allows focusing to 15 feet which is a must for bird watchers, sunshade, and rubber eyecup.

If you google "Swift telescopes," you may learn quite a bit about it history.

#3 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:48 PM

You might try glancing at the three-page article about Swift refractors in the July 2006 issue of THE ROSETTE GAZETTE Newsletter. This newsletter is published monthly by THE ROSE CITY ASTRONOMERS of Portland, Oregon. Their website is found at www.rca-omsi.org/ Pick Newsletter at the middle top of the webpage. From the archived pdf files select the July 2006 issue, and please read the article called "A SAMPLING OF TELESCOPES FOR THE AMATEUR ASTRONOMER--PART 15."

[Note: The opening sentence should read: Swift Instruments Inc. is one of America's oldest existing optical houses, having been founded in 1926 by Robert W. Swift.]

Whatever their source of optical glass, it is GOOD! My experience is that their glass mix is as good or better than a fine Unitron refractor's objective lens in the same aperture class. This may be a result of Swift's careful combination of glass selection (center-pot) and fine figuring.

#4 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• topic starter

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:10 PM

[quote name="Lew Chilton"]Carol,

online camera store? Here's their description:

Description
The Swift #839 Searcher has a 60mm objective lens, heavy rubber armor, degree viewing and contains two orthoscopic eyepieces, "....

Hi Lew
I believe Swift has a "new " model839 out, a spotting scope as described here. Mine is a classic , though the best built I have ever seen, 60mm, F13.5 astronomical refreactor Circa 1961. A beautifully smooth GEM mount, all wood box and tripod.. the only medeoicre parts are the Huygens eyepices, but even those were better than most I have in my odd collection...
Thank you

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics