•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is your distance from your SCT to the floor

Cassegrain Equipment Observatory
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BeechLickBranch

BeechLickBranch

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Muscle Shoals, Alabama

Posted 26 July 2022 - 03:42 PM

I am asking about the distance between the floor and the eyepiece if the telescope is pointed at the horizon. In retrospect, how do you feel about that distance. Do you engage in substantial visual viewing?

I am not really interested in buying an extendable pier. I have a feeling, it will be just another failure point for remote operation in light of my superior technology prowess. 

#2 bob b

bob b

Sputnik

• Loc: Central Ky

Posted 26 July 2022 - 04:23 PM

i have a PIERTEC II    so my New observatory ( TI PD 10   Near Ready for equipment)   My scope is a 14" Meade gps on a wedge ----eyepiece at Horz will be 50"

When I attach Camera i can raise it up, out of the way and watch the Computer Monitors.

bb

#3 ScottS

ScottS

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ohio - Bortle 8-9

Posted 26 July 2022 - 04:41 PM

I have an EdgeHD Pro 14", when I had it mounted to the stock tripod legs. Many times when visual viewing, I need to use a two step platform and stand on it, to see through the eye piece. If not, I had to loosen everything up and rotate a lot of things just to have the eyepiece swung downward so I could look through it. I eventually picked up the Baader Planetarium 2" Clicklock &  Planetarium 2" Clicklock Mirror Diagonal did my visual view session become really enjoyable!  I can't measure the distance at this point since I have my mount on my observatory pier and still waiting to mount the OTA. 

Clear Skies!

#4 Migwan

Migwan

Gemini

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 26 July 2022 - 06:23 PM

On the trolly, the 22mm sits at 61.5".  58" without the trolley.  The 13mm is 1.75" higher.   I've a CPC1100 on a Meade Heavy Duty tripod.

#5 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Otisco lake. Ny

Posted 26 July 2022 - 07:43 PM

Since i like to sit when i observe , and i have a reporposed bar stool ( with back) in my observatory . And its adjustable smile.gif

With my  fork mounted wedged C11 , im at 50 in  with the lx200 12 ... 52 , with my C14  it will be 54 in . 

A very comfortable  height for my needs ..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cassegrain, Equipment, Observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics