•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help: Vintage Telescope repair and Parts

Accessories DIY Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mark27

Mark27

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2022 - 08:44 AM

Hello everybody,

I am trying to restore this discarded vintage telescope for me and my daughter and hope that I can get some pointers on how to do that here. It was dented, dirty and stood out in the rain for several days. I think it is a beginners telescope (If you know this model or company and more about its history please let me know). I cleaned the lenses and all parts I could detach. I carefully tried to get out the dents with a small hammer. But now I am stuck.

IMG 9319

I think it was built in Japan by Towa Manufacturing Company and sold under the name "Apollo". See the little "T" in the picture:

IMG 9320

It says D=60mm (aperture?) and F=700mm (Focal length?)

it has a nice tray integrated in the tripod:

IMG 9324

the crosshair from the visor part is missing:

IMG 9327
IMG 9326

Do you have any tips on how to repair it and what material to use? I have tried black sewing cord but under magnification I saw a lot of strands from the cord. So this was not working:

Should I just replace it? Where would I find a replacement? 

I think there are at least 3 parts missing:

- the eyepiece for the main telescope (2.5cm in diameter)

IMG 9325

- the lens part for the "?visor?" (around 2.5cm in diameter)

IMG 9322

- Protective Seal for the main telescope when not in use

IMG 9323

Do you know where I could get fitting replacement parts? (I am on a very tight budget at the moment)

Other components I am missing?

Thanks so much for your help and knowledge and may you have clear skies!

Edited by Mark27, 29 July 2022 - 08:57 AM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#2 CharLakeAstro

CharLakeAstro

Apollo

Posted 29 July 2022 - 09:04 AM

For the crosshair, very fine guage wire is best. You can blacken the wire with a sharpie marker. Easiest place to find this guage wire is by dissecting a multi-strand conductor cable.

#3 Mark27

Mark27

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2022 - 09:11 AM

For the crosshair, very fine guage wire is best. You can blacken the wire with a sharpie marker. Easiest place to find this guage wire is by dissecting a multi-strand conductor cable.

Thanks for your answer CharLakeAstro!

I will try that and post the results!

Do you have any Ideas on how I could identify the measurements and characteristics for the missing pieces and where I could procure them?

Edited by Mark27, 29 July 2022 - 09:14 AM.

#4 Couder

Couder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 29 July 2022 - 09:30 AM

I have restored many crosshair eyepieces, filar micrometers, and more - I tried several methods. I prefer the original, spider web. But a close second is to take very fine point tweezers and shred dental floss, you can get very fine pieces. Then simply use a glue. Can't tell from your picture, but if the crosshairs are on an insert (a piece you can unscrew) remember to measure exactly where it was before unscrewing. The crosshairs are in focus when you look at something distant, so don't cut the groove deeper or build it up or the crosshair will be out of focus.

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 July 2022 - 09:55 AM

I have restored many crosshair eyepieces, filar micrometers, and more - I tried several methods. I prefer the original, spider web. But a close second is to take very fine point tweezers and shred dental floss, you can get very fine pieces. Then simply use a glue. Can't tell from your picture, but if the crosshairs are on an insert (a piece you can unscrew) remember to measure exactly where it was before unscrewing. The crosshairs are in focus when you look at something distant, so don't cut the groove deeper or build it up or the crosshair will be out of focus.

For a finder, the problem with fine cross hairs is that under dark skies, they're invisible. I use larger diameter wire, 0.004". The cross hairs are visible under the darkest skies while not being too large to block out stars.

Jon

• CharLakeAstro likes this

#6 Mike W

Mike W

Vanguard

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 July 2022 - 07:13 PM

If you go to forums, equipment discussions then classic telescopes at the top of the page
is "Ask away for classic odds and ends". I'm sure someone has a
working finder for free, just pay postage.(doesn't have to be exactly the same, just the same diameter to fit your finder brackets)
Mike

Edited by Mike W, 29 July 2022 - 07:16 PM.

• tturtle likes this

#7 tturtle

tturtle

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida

Posted 30 July 2022 - 12:57 AM

I have an old Meade finder that would probably work if you want to send me a PM.

If you go to forums, equipment discussions then classic telescopes at the top of the page
is "Ask away for classic odds and ends". I'm sure someone has a
working finder for free, just pay postage.(doesn't have to be exactly the same, just the same diameter to fit your finder brackets)
Mike

• walter a likes this

#8 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 30 July 2022 - 06:11 AM

Might be a "beginner's telescope" but definitely not a toy. Sears sold many Towa scopes in that blue colour (1970s if I'm not mistaken), and they usually have good optics. I owned one a few years ago and was not disappointed. Yours looks like it has the two-piece focus / draw tube, where you push/pull for coarse focus, and use the knobs for fine focus.

Back in the day they used to use black widow spider silk for crosshairs..  wink.gif

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#9 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 07:15 AM

Folks, let's please keep in mind that the original poster is new here and is just trying to get the scope working for their daughter, while working with a very limited budget.

We don't need to start a debate about the best choice of crosshair material. The finder scope is missing its objective lens, so the offer from tturtle of a replacement is the better option. 

To the original poster - PM means "Private Message". Click on the person's screen name in the darker bar across the top of their post, and you will see a page about them with an option to send them a message. A good suggestion was to put a post in the "Ask away..." thread that is pinned at the top of the forum, for the other missing pieces. It is specifically for people to ask for parts where the only cost is covering the shipping. People here tend to have a lot of loose parts laying around, and are pretty generous about giving them to others. 

The back end of the scope is missing more than the eyepiece. There is a part that screws onto the threads, which we call a tailpiece. Then there is a part called a star diagonal that contains a prism or mirror to bend the light 90 degrees, so you don't have to hurt your neck when the scope is pointed up at the stars. That goes into the tailpiece, and then the eyepiece goes into it. 

Before people start debating the pros and cons of replacing the original 0.965" tailpiece or converting to 1.25" and using more modern eyepieces, let's see if someone has a combination that will simply work, and is willing to send it to Mark27, so they can start using the scope.

Chip W. 

• Mike W and Kasmos like this

#10 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 30 July 2022 - 02:16 PM

Folks, let's please keep in mind that the original poster is new here and is just trying to get the scope working for their daughter, while working with a very limited budget.

We don't need to start a debate about the best choice of crosshair material. The finder scope is missing its objective lens, so the offer from tturtle of a replacement is the better option. 

Before people start debating the pros and cons of replacing the original 0.965" tailpiece or converting to 1.25" and using more modern eyepieces, let's see if someone has a combination that will simply work, and is willing to send it to Mark27, so they can start using the scope.

Chip W. 

You said it! waytogo.gif  

Edited by Kasmos, 30 July 2022 - 02:16 PM.

#11 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Apollo

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 31 July 2022 - 10:44 AM

Did you send tturtle a message? I have a diagonal and a couple eyepieces to get you started. I also might have the part that screws into the end of your focuser tube that you insert those into.

#12 Van Do9:3

Van Do9:3

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 31 July 2022 - 11:55 AM

B6D8699F-9688-4D06-BB68-E030A72ADCAF.jpeg

51BF0D68-478F-42BE-B3D3-35D643636FA2.jpeg

I sent Mark27 a message offering these items free but have not heard back. Hope all is well…

• tony_spina, mdowns and DouglasPaul like this

#13 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:39 AM

I also PM'd, have a .925" visual back that might fit the draw tube thread

• Van Do9:3 likes this

#14 Mark27

Mark27

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2022 - 03:42 PM

HI all,

I am blown away by all the nice and helpful answers to my initial post and the private messages offering me the parts needed. You really have a great community here!

I am so looking forward of using this telescope with my daughter. We were in the mountains this weekend and a friend of a friend brought a similar telescope with him. So we got to see Saturn and M13. It was magical.

Anyway I just wanted to say thank you for being you.

Will keep you posted on how the restoration goes. Could not be happier right now.

Have a nice day and may you have clear skies!

Mark

PS: A Special Tanks to Van Do9:3, Senex Bibax, DouglasPaul and TTurtle

Edited by Mark27, 01 August 2022 - 03:52 PM.

• CharLakeAstro, jcruse64, Van Do9:3 and 2 others like this

#15 Van Do9:3

Van Do9:3

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 01 August 2022 - 04:42 PM

Mark,

Great to hear you were able to observe with your friend’s telescope. Did you use the 0.965” eyepieces or 1.25” eyepieces? 

Clear skies,

My

#16 Mark27

Mark27

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2022 - 01:37 PM

Hey My,

I asked him and he told me that it was most likely a 0.965” eyepiece but that he did not know for sure. We did not have any measuring tape with us.

Clear Skies

Mark

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, DIY, Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics