•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Controller Compatible with Meade Starfinder Equatorial Mounts

Meade Mount Accessories Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eg71117

eg71117

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2022 - 03:29 PM

I just picked up an old Meade 10" Starfinder Mount.  Does any one know what Meade controller will work with this drive?

I have a Meade 35-4700-02 from my ETC scope, but do not want to ruin it if it is not compatible.  I looked on line and it appears there is a family of Meade Controller of the 35-470x-xx. 

Does any one know where I can find the differences.

• Skywatchr likes this

#2 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:58 AM

I think you need to search for a Meade Magellan II system.

I have an old Meade Starfinder EQ mount in storage. I still have the Magellan I system, which was an inexpensive push-to system. It didn’t have motors, just encoders that made it a digital setting-circles system.

#3 firemachine69

firemachine69

Apollo

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:59 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly, there was no factory declination motor on the Starfinder mounts, correct?

You'll need that as well.

#4 MJB87

MJB87

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 31 July 2022 - 03:32 PM

Moving to Meade Computerized Telescopes for a better fit.

#5 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Gemini

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 31 July 2022 - 04:18 PM

I just picked up an old Meade 10" Starfinder Mount.  Does any one know what Meade controller will work with this drive?

I have a Meade 35-4700-02 from my ETC scope, but do not want to ruin it if it is not compatible.  I looked on line and it appears there is a family of Meade Controller of the 35-470x-xx. 

Need a photo.  Is it the AC RA drive, or the DC RA drive?

#6 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Gemini

Posted 03 August 2022 - 12:20 PM

I believe the DC version used the LX-10 hand controller.  These mounts are NOT Go-To.  The handbox is for manually correcting for AP, or keeping something centered in the eyepiece.

#7 eg71117

eg71117

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:08 PM

I bought the mount for casual observation.  It just happen to have what I believe is a Magellan II system.  It has the RA drive, the declination drive and what appears to be another declination drive just under the cradle.  

I just wanted to see what I could make work.  I enjoy tinkering.  At minimum if I can just make a hand box to drive each motor in both directions, that would be great.  I am going to confirm the motor voltage and the pin out of the RJ-11 connections.  

I was asking just to see if any of the components or instructions specifically were available it would save me some time.

I did find the Meade instruction manuals for the Star finder with Magellan I and another for the Magellan II, but they just provide a brief general description.  No details.

I am also concerned with the clutch system so I do not ruin any of the gears.

• Skywatchr likes this

#8 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Gemini

Posted 03 August 2022 - 06:56 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words. There are no "two declination drives". One is probably an encoder assembly.  Nobody can help if they cannot be sure of what you have. The Magellan II is an add-on digital setting circles system for the DC drive mounts.

The DEC motor is DC for sure. You never answered the question on what the RA motor is if AC or DC voltage.

#9 eg71117

eg71117

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 03:57 PM

First, It is a DC drive for the RA.  I found an older Meade catalog I had and it describe the Magellan i and Magellan II.  It appears the  Magellan II includes the tangent declination arm, which mine has.

Now I need to find a hand Controller and the manuals.

• Skywatchr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade, Mount, Accessories, Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics