•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi 4 Turret 1.25 Eyepiece Holder product #TKA00404 REVIEW

Accessories Equipment Eyepieces Observing Refractor Star Party Visual
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 ultraclassic1

ultraclassic1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 July 2022 - 04:23 PM

I put up a video to my YouTube channel reviewing the Takahashi 4 Turret 1.25" Eyepiece Holder product #TKA00404. It can be found here: https://www.youtube....h?v=TLPQpe3MM2g

Attached Thumbnails

• CLOUDY NIGHTS thumbnail.jpg

Edited by ultraclassic1, 31 July 2022 - 04:25 PM.

• Doug Culbertson, D_talley, doctordub and 6 others like this

#2 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 July 2022 - 04:26 PM

Your link goes to some other video.

#3 ultraclassic1

ultraclassic1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 July 2022 - 04:28 PM

Your link goes to some other video.

Yes, I noticed that after I posted and changed it to the correct link. Thanks Dan!

#4 petert913

petert913

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 31 July 2022 - 05:30 PM

Nice Product.  I'd like one of those.

• ultraclassic1 likes this

#5 D_talley

D_talley

Skylab

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 31 July 2022 - 05:40 PM

Where are you getting them. I have been looking for several months but no one sells them. Out of stock. 

• ultraclassic1 likes this

#6 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:38 PM

I put up a video to my YouTube channel reviewing the Takahashi 4 Turret 1.25" Eyepiece Holder product #TKA00404. It can be found here: https://www.youtube....h?v=TLPQpe3MM2g

Can you please post a synopsis of your review in text so people won't have to go somewhere else?   

Does everything have to be a video on YouTube?  CloudyNights isn't a YouTube channel.

In fact, I refuse to look at the YouTube video.  :lol:

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 31 July 2022 - 06:39 PM.

• emilslomi, Jeff L and iseegeorgesstar like this

#7 ultraclassic1

ultraclassic1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:07 PM

Where are you getting them. I have been looking for several months but no one sells them. Out of stock. 

I got mine from https://landseaskyco.com/ In stock at the time I bought mine.

• doctordub, SandyHouTex and Look at the sky 101 like this

#8 ultraclassic1

ultraclassic1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:12 PM

Can you please post a synopsis of your review in text so people won't have to go somewhere else?   

Does everything have to be a video on YouTube?  CloudyNights isn't a YouTube channel.

In fact, I refuse to look at the YouTube video.  lol.gif

Mike

Sorry, for me a video shows so much more than the written word. I can write all I want but to see something demonstrated is so much better. I can prove what I say whereas I can write anything and it may not be correct. The viewer can better make up their mind if a products is a good fit for them.

• Look at the sky 101 likes this

#9 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:19 PM

Sorry, for me a video shows so much more than the written word. I can write all I want but to see something demonstrated is so much better. I can prove what I say whereas I can write anything and it may not be correct. The viewer can better make up their mind if a products is a good fit for them.

For most of human history we did not have videos, not even photos, perhaps a drawing now and then.  In fact, before writing, there was no history.  I'm not giving up on text now. 

Maybe we should all just watch the video and post comments like, "Nice," or "Not bad," or "I don't know," or "It's not for me" and be done with it?  Why even have Cloudy Nights? 

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 01 August 2022 - 07:26 AM.

• Hesiod likes this

#10 betacygni

betacygni

Apollo

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:27 PM

Very nice, thanks for taking the time to record the video and share it. While I like written reviews, I really like videos as well. Gives a better perspective of its operation, size, etc, which can’t be put into words.
  • sabir and ultraclassic1 like this

#11 ultraclassic1

ultraclassic1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:50 PM

Very nice, thanks for taking the time to record the video and share it. While I like written reviews, I really like videos as well. Gives a better perspective of its operation, size, etc, which can’t be put into words.

You're welcome betacygni. I will leave the written word for those who are scholars of which I am not grin.gif  There is room for both on CN's.

• payner, Alan S, shaesavage and 1 other like this

#12 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Citizen of the earth .

Posted 31 July 2022 - 09:01 PM

We cannot stop thecnology, but thecnology can stop us...

#13 Alan S

Alan S

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 31 July 2022 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for taking the time to make this video, I enjoyed it and you identified some things that are of interest to me as I consider a turret.

I also have Delos eyepieces. Are the 6 and the 10mm the only ones you had to secure slightly out from the fully seated position?  Do you feel that they are still highly secure when say hanging down?

do you have a sense how it would hold if there were a mix of lighter weight eyepieces (like an ortho) mixed with heavies like the Delos?

Amy thoughts on the images through the prism?

Again, thanks for creating this.

Edited by Alan S, 31 July 2022 - 09:41 PM.

#14 davidgmd

davidgmd

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 01 August 2022 - 05:48 AM

Hi ultraclassic1,

Nice review. Thanks for taking the time.

You mentioned that you had no difficulty focusing despite 2 of the eyepieces having to be less than fully inserted to secure them. I would guess that would affect the ability to make the eyepieces in the turret parfocal. Maybe some tape to fill in the undercuts would fix that.

#15 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 01 August 2022 - 07:03 AM

We cannot stop thecnology, but thecnology can stop us...

What stopped you from learning to spell correctly?

Mike

• Adam S and SandyHouTex like this

#16 25585

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 01 August 2022 - 08:20 AM

Chunky focuser. My Tak turret is great with Morpheus, no undercuts = no problem. waytogo.gif

• doctordub and Sarkikos like this

#17 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 01 August 2022 - 09:04 AM

This morning I looked at the YouTube video.  Yes, I said I wouldn't.  However, you can't lie about the future, though you can make inaccurate predictions.  grin.gif

Disclaimer:  I also have a Tak 4-Turret, which I bought from Land, Sea & Sky a few months ago.

Here is my synopsis of the video, presented in that ancient medium, text:

- Moose is happy with it.  waytogo.gif

- First five minutes - nearly one-third of the video - was the unboxing.  I fast forwarded through this.  I already have a boatload of videos showing my kids opening their Christmas presents.  I know what it looks like.

- There was no background music.  Thank you.  I hate informational videos that have background music.  Those are two things that should never go together.

- Eyepieces have 31mm of insertion before hitting the prism.  Good to keep in mind.  However, when I look inside the eyepiece barrels in my Tak 4-Turret, it does look like there is a ring inside each barrel a little above the prism to protect it.  Is this a protective ring or a baffle, or maybe both?  Will it prevent eyepieces from hitting the prism?

-  Neck won't accept 2" filters?  I can screw a 2" filter on my Tak 4-Turret.

- 2" neck allows larger clear aperture than 1.25" neck of nPAE 6-turret.  Should also provide a safer and more rigid connection.

- Screw on body of Tak 4-Turret can be tightened to adjust turning tension.  Also good to know.  I wasn't sure what this was and didn't want to fiddle with it.  I don't recall any documentation describing the function of this screw.

- 10 & 6mm Delos undercut requires that these eyepieces be raised above turret in order to clamp better.  I did not experience this problem with any of the eyepieces I used in my Tak 4-Turret.

- 17 & 14mm Delos do not have undercut problem.

- White dot on body indicates active eyepiece.

- Collet and neck for individual eyepiece turret barrel can lock up, requires removal of barrel from turret with strap wrench.  I haven't had this problem yet.  The barrels on my turret all seem tight.  (Good idea to make sure that individual barrels on turret are tight on body of turret before using.)

- No issues focusing on AP 130 GTX.

- Quality build.

- Very good images.

- Extremely happy.

Thanks for the video!  waytogo.gif

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 01 August 2022 - 09:09 AM.

• SteveC, SandyHouTex, SkyRanger and 2 others like this

#18 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 01 August 2022 - 09:23 AM

This morning I looked at the YouTube video.  Yes, I said I wouldn't.  However, you can't lie about the future, though you can make inaccurate predictions.  grin.gif

Disclaimer:  I also have a Tak 4-Turret, which I bought from Land, Sea & Sky a few months ago.

Here is my synopsis of the video, presented in that ancient medium, text:

- Moose is happy with it.  waytogo.gif

- First five minutes - nearly one-third of the video - was the unboxing.  I fast forwarded through this.  I already have a boatload of videos showing my kids opening their Christmas presents.  I know what it looks like.

- There was no background music.  Thank you.  I hate informational videos that have background music.  Those are two things that should never go together.

- Eyepieces have 31mm of insertion before hitting the prism.  Good to keep in mind.  However, when I look inside the eyepiece barrels in my Tak 4-Turret, it does look like there is a ring inside each barrel a little above the prism to protect it.  Is this a protective ring or a baffle, or maybe both?  Will it prevent eyepieces from hitting the prism?

-  Neck won't accept 2" filters?  I can screw a 2" filter on my Tak 4-Turret.

- 2" neck allows larger clear aperture than 1.25" neck of nPAE 6-turret.  Should also provide a safer and more rigid connection.

- Screw on body of Tak 4-Turret can be tightened to adjust turning tension.  Also good to know.  I wasn't sure what this was and didn't want to fiddle with it.  I don't recall any documentation describing the function of this screw.

- 10 & 6mm Delos undercut requires that these eyepieces be raised above turret in order to clamp better.  I did not experience this problem with any of the eyepieces I used in my Tak 4-Turret.

- 17 & 14mm Delos do not have undercut problem.

- White dot on body indicates active eyepiece.

- Collet and neck for individual eyepiece turret barrel can lock up, requires removal of barrel from turret with strap wrench.  I haven't had this problem yet.  The barrels on my turret all seem tight.  (Good idea to make sure that individual barrels on turret are tight on body of turret before using.)

- No issues focusing on AP 130 GTX.

- Quality build.

- Very good images.

- Extremely happy.

Thanks for the video!  waytogo.gif

Mike

Thanks for the ancient summary in words.  I'm not crazy about youtube videos either, although I do watch Ed Ting's.

• Sarkikos and SkyRanger like this

#19 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 01 August 2022 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the ancient summary in words.  I'm not crazy about youtube videos either, although I do watch Ed Ting's.

Yes, so do I.  I'm always entertained by his videos, but I don't always agree with everything he says or does in them.

Mike

• SandyHouTex likes this

#20 213Cobra

213Cobra

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 02 August 2022 - 03:20 PM

The community thanks the OP for taking the time to make a video review.

However, the problem with video is that if there is content offered in video and written form, I can read even a long text faster than I can watch the video. When there is a choice of video or text, I ignore the video and choose the text. More efficient and invariably more thorough. Video is great for entertainment, but wastes a lot of time instructionally. Occasionally, video is useful and efficient for procedural instruction, like how to assemble something complex, or for demonstrating how an item works (a recent video illustrating how a jet engine works through the build of a small, glass-bodied, working jet is a good example), but reviews of consumer items and other content that would be talking-head video if not written? I'll take written. The information density is usually higher, better-articulated and thought-through.

Phil

• Sarkikos and SandyHouTex like this

#21 KJL

KJL

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 03 August 2022 - 09:05 AM

For most of human history we did not have videos, not even photos, perhaps a drawing now and then.  In fact, before writing, there was no history.  I'm not giving up on text now. 

Most of human history?

Oral traditions significantly predate written language. We didn't have video "back then": we had face-to-face!

If anything, YouTube has allowed us a way to experience the method of communication that comes most naturally to us for, yes, all of human history.

If ever we needed an example of people so set in their ways they've forgotten how people used to be set in their ways, we've got one right here ....

As far as the video review goes, I don't think it mentioned stray light suppression, which is maybe a good indication that something has changed in the turret's design. A friend (who lives in a city as I do) actually sold his 4-EP Tak turret due internal reflections, and I consequently never tried it as I also have to deal with nearby street lamps. Maybe I'll take another look at this, as a lighter weight alternative to my TEC turret.

• Alan S and 25585 like this

#22 SteveC

SteveC

Voyager 1

• Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State

Posted 03 August 2022 - 11:02 AM

Maybe I'll take another look at this, as a lighter weight alternative to my TEC turret.

That would be an interesting review. 

#23 KJL

KJL

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 03 August 2022 - 11:25 AM

That would be an interesting review. 

Particularly since the upcoming version is going to use Baader Clicklock clamps which should avoid the stickiness of the Takahashi-style clamps, while allowing for NPAE-style parfocal adjustments (and, presumably, avoiding any stray light issues that un-blackened prisms would have, much as the current TEC model does).

#24 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:34 PM

Most of human history?

Oral traditions significantly predate written language. We didn't have video "back then": we had face-to-face!

If anything, YouTube has allowed us a way to experience the method of communication that comes most naturally to us for, yes, all of human history.

If ever we needed an example of people so set in their ways they've forgotten how people used to be set in their ways, we've got one right here ....

dislike.gif

There is no history without written language.  Oral traditions and stories are not history.  You are talking about prehistory, not history.  The divide between history and prehistory is the written word.

As I said, "Before writing, there was no history."

If ever we needed an example of people who don't know the correct use of words, we have one right here.

Besides, as another poster to this thread already mentioned, the written word can be much more efficient than video.  I was able to give a synopsis of all the important facts and opinions expressed in the video - and even some not so important - in one short post easily read in a minute or two.  The YouTube video was 18 minutes, nearly one-third of which was just the unboxing! 

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 03 August 2022 - 01:51 PM.

• SandyHouTex likes this

#25 25585

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:47 PM

Particularly since the upcoming version is going to use Baader Clicklock clamps which should avoid the stickiness of the Takahashi-style clamps, while allowing for NPAE-style parfocal adjustments (and, presumably, avoiding any stray light issues that un-blackened prisms would have, much as the current TEC model does).

So a new TEC turret is in the pipeline?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Equipment, Eyepieces, Observing, Refractor, Star Party, Visual

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics