•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi 4 Turret 1.25 Eyepiece Holder product #TKA00404 REVIEW

Accessories Equipment Eyepieces Observing Refractor Star Party Visual
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:50 PM

So a new TEC turret is in the pipeline?

Or a new Tak turret?  The reference is not clear.

Mike

• 25585 likes this

#27 KJL

KJL

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:52 PM

dislike.gif

There is no history without written language.  Oral traditions and stories are not history.  You are talking about prehistory, not history.  The divide between history and prehistory is the written word.

As I said, "Before writing, there was no history."

If ever we needed an example of people who don't know the correct use of words, we have one right here lol.gif

Besides, as another poster to this thread already mentioned, the written word can be much more efficient than video.  I was able to give a synopsis of all the important facts and opinions expressed in the video - and even some not so important - in one short post easily read in a minute or two.  The YouTube video was 18 minutes, nearly one-third of which was just the unboxing!  lol.gif

"History consists of making arguments about what happened in the past on the basis of what people recorded (in written documents, cultural artifacts, or oral traditions) at the time."

https://www.historia...ory-is-produced

Much can be displayed in a video that requires far more words to explain, like what the tightening screws look like, or which part of the eyepiece holder unscrews unintentionally.

"A picture is worth a thousand words" is a saying that has real meaning, after all.

#28 25585

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:52 PM

Can't see Tak changing theirs....

• payner, Sarkikos, SandyHouTex and 1 other like this

#29 KJL

KJL

Viking 1

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:58 PM

So a new TEC turret is in the pipeline?

Yes, though the waiting list is already filled for it:

https://www.telescop...yepiece-turret/

There's a side discussion about the new TEC turret here, where Mike demonstrates well the clarity and elegance of the written language (as opposed to Tamiji's photos).

#30 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:02 PM

"History consists of making arguments about what happened in the past on the basis of what people recorded (in written documents, cultural artifacts, or oral traditions) at the time."

https://www.historia...ory-is-produced

Much can be displayed in a video that requires far more words to explain, like what the tightening screws look like, or which part of the eyepiece holder unscrews unintentionally.

"A picture is worth a thousand words" is a saying that has real meaning, after all.

Yes, history is "making arguments about what happened in the past."  AFAIK, all serious historical research is still being done in text, in the form of books and in papers in peer-reviewed journals.  But the original sources of information about the past - whether documents, artifacts or traditions - is not history.

Somethings are better done in video:  Hands-on procedures and equipment layout.  Much of what is shown today in videos is a waste of time.  It would be much more efficient to present the information in text.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 04 August 2022 - 11:58 AM.

#31 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:04 PM

Yes, though the waiting list is already filled for it:

There's a side discussion about the new TEC turret here, where Mike demonstrates well the clarity and elegance of the written language (as opposed to Tamiji's photos).

So, it is a new TEC turret, not a new Tak turret?  I'm glad that was cleared up.

No, I pointed out the potential ambiguity of language when referents are not made clear.

Mike

#32 25585

Posted 04 August 2022 - 08:21 AM

This is the first I knew of a new TEC turret, or waiting list crazy.gif

• Sarkikos and SandyHouTex like this

#33 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 04 August 2022 - 12:04 PM

This is the first I knew of a new TEC turret, or waiting list crazy.gif

Actually, I had heard of it.  I also heard it's $1200.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 04 August 2022 - 12:17 PM.

• Marcus Roman likes this

#34 D_talley

D_talley

Skylab

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 04 August 2022 - 12:08 PM

My Takahashi 4 Turret arrived today. I ordered it on Monday. It is a quality device and I cant wait to get out with it. Can someone take care of the clouds for me?

• 3 i Guy, doctordub, Sarkikos and 1 other like this

#35 25585

Posted 04 August 2022 - 12:09 PM

Actually, I had heard of it.  I also heard it's about $1200, maybe more.

Mike

Waaaay too much, my little Tak turret is safe.

• doctordub, payner and Sarkikos like this

#36 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 04 August 2022 - 12:13 PM

You can buy a pair of Tak Turrets for the price of the Tec Turret.  The pair of Tak Turrets could handle eight eyepieces, three more than the Tec.  But you would need to switch the Tak Turrets once in a while.

Mike

• doctordub, payner and 25585 like this

#37 Svalbard

Svalbard

Mariner 2

• Loc: USA

Posted 04 August 2022 - 04:13 PM

Not here to wax philosophical, but to say I appreciate the video review. When it comes to mechanical demonstration, imo nothing illustrates the message better than seeing it in action. I saw your review of a different turret on the AP forums and I think it would have been pretty difficult to write up a review as comprehensive as that. 

Time is the most valuable resource any of us have, and I appreciate the time and effort that goes into each and every contribution here. 

• Sarkikos, KJL and 25585 like this

#38 betacygni

betacygni

Apollo

Posted 04 August 2022 - 05:06 PM

Someone needs to use a tak turret and put 4 Baader turrets into it. 16 eyepieces anyone? bow.gif grin.gif

Edited by betacygni, 04 August 2022 - 05:07 PM.

• Sarkikos and eyeoftexas like this

#39 SteveC

SteveC

Voyager 1

• Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State

Posted 04 August 2022 - 05:50 PM

Actually, I had heard of it.  I also heard it's $1200.

Mike

Funny thing, the picture shows the old turret with the eyepiece compression screws removed. I guess it's better than duct tapping the new click locks on and presenting that.

• Sarkikos likes this

#40 KJL

KJL

Viking 1

Posted 04 August 2022 - 06:29 PM

Funny thing, the picture shows the old turret with the eyepiece compression screws removed. I guess it's better than duct tapping the new click locks on and presenting that.

This was posted by Yuri on his TEC-Scopes FB group in June. I imagine he never had to update the website as the signup list filled up extremely quickly, in a matter of hours it seems.

He left open the possibility of another production run past the initial run of 50 units.

Attached Thumbnails

• 484B6060-6237-4784-B2EC-5A3266FDCE3B.jpeg

• SteveC, Sarkikos and Paul Morow like this

#41 SteveC

SteveC

Voyager 1

Posted 04 August 2022 - 09:47 PM

Looks good!!

#42 SteveC

SteveC

Voyager 1

Posted 04 August 2022 - 10:37 PM

I was thinking about the $1200 price for the new TEC turret.  It's reasonable to assume that the 5 Baader clicklocks would add another $500 over what the old turret cost. I forgot how much my turret cost($500-$700????), but $1200 seems fair.

#43 Traveler

Traveler

Skylab

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 05 August 2022 - 03:44 AM

It is because of an incident about hundred years ago (well it feels like, it were in the end of yhe 70's cool.gif ) when i unscrewd a Polarex/Unitron turret by mistake and felt on the ground including all the ep's...

I've always been hesitant to buy such a rotating eyepiece holder..

...and then there were only some othoscopic and kelner eyepieces in it...

Is it just me who thinks this?

#44 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 05 August 2022 - 05:39 AM

It is because of an incident about hundred years ago (well it feels like, it were in the end of yhe 70's cool.gif ) when i unscrewd a Polarex/Unitron turret by mistake and felt on the ground including all the ep's...

The is why the VSI turret has a really good HANDLE on the back - to get a good hold of it before releasing from the scope.

It is also useful for slewing the scope, manually, and something to hang the hand control from.

Edited by luxo II, 05 August 2022 - 05:40 AM.

• Traveler and Sarkikos like this

#45 25585

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:39 AM

Perhaps someone could reach out to Baader and ask for a Clicklock designed to go in place of the OE Tak locks?

• Sarkikos and emilslomi like this

#46 SteveC

SteveC

Voyager 1

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:34 AM

There are several interpretations for what you are thinking about. Not sure which one to address. 

#47 KJL

KJL

Viking 1

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:00 AM

No, because the tactile feeling rotating of the turrets in my possession (TEC, Baader) is nothing like the feeling of unscrewing a nosepiece.

In particular, if I don't feel a click in the expected position, I know something has gone wrong.

Must be said though: a tightened Takahashi clamp allowing a user to unscrew the entire shaft is something I've experienced with the various Antares, Blue Fireball, etc knockoffs of the same design, and that does give me the willies.

#48 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:37 AM

This was posted by Yuri on his TEC-Scopes FB group in June. I imagine he never had to update the website as the signup list filled up extremely quickly, in a matter of hours it seems.

He left open the possibility of another production run past the initial run of 50 units.

Looks nice, but $1200 seems a bit much.  The Tak turret, which I have is only $580, and it's high quality.

Edited by SandyHouTex, 05 August 2022 - 09:38 AM.

• doctordub, payner, Sarkikos and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Equipment, Eyepieces, Observing, Refractor, Star Party, Visual

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics