•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Carton Zoom 15x-40x / 40mm

Classic
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 moladso

moladso

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 01 August 2022 - 04:55 PM

Just to satisfy my curiosity I bought this slightly used Carton Zoom 15x-40x 40mm telescope.

It is in perfect physical and optical condition, and I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of this little instrument. For sure it's not a toy.

IMG_7776 Medium.jpeg

IMG_7782 Medium.jpeg

The original case of the instrument has a deep violet color with the text "Zoom Telescope. 15x -40x 40mm" written in black on a gold colored sticker. Inside it contains a hand inscription that seems to indicate the date of acquisition, in 1983, so it is almost 40 years old. It is Japanese-made and has a yellow JTII sticker with purple letters (which could indicate a manufacturing date before 1981).

IMG_7804 Medium.jpeg

The simple chrome tabletop tripod is very well made and the telescope is very stable. The telescope has a standard 1/4" thread which allows it to be used on photographic tripods.

IMG_7778 Medium.jpeg

The lens has only one of its faces coated with bluish tones. The eyepiece does not appear to have any treatment.

Observing the Moon shows obvious out-of-focus chromatism, but it's better than you'd expect from such a telescope once it's focused. The zoom lever induces a slight image shift, but focus remains nearly perfect throughout the entire 15x to 40x range, not requiring refocus. The field of view is flat.

IMG_7780 Medium.jpeg

IMG_7786 Medium.jpeg

Although several zoom telescope models appear in the catalogs of that date (B-710/10T, B-712/12T, B-714/14T), none of them correspond to this 40mm unit.

Maybe someone could expand some information on it.

Edited by moladso, 01 August 2022 - 04:58 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics