•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Roll-off alternative

Observatory
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gork

Gork

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 04 August 2022 - 04:30 AM

I have had a few backyard ROR observatories that were good but I recently completed building a 10" f/4 TRUE astrograph that was just too big for my ROR.  I am too old and decrepit to haul this stuff in and out of the house so I tried this alternative and it is working super.  Cost was about $500 and a week to build (I am 76 and disabled).

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

• tim53, skullpin, Ljubo and 2 others like this

#2 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Otisco lake. Ny

Posted 04 August 2022 - 05:45 AM

Ya gotta do what works for YOU..  and  i agree it works, functional , simple and practical. 

Pull out and set up ..  easy peasy!!   Thank you for showing !! 

#3 mintakaX

mintakaX

Mariner 2

Posted 04 August 2022 - 08:53 AM

It appears as though the "shed" is on wheels and rolls out of the way. Is this correct? I was considering doing something similar, but the site has really high winds and I wonder if this option would be harder to secure for windy conditions as opposed to a ROR where the roof could be strapped to the supporting structure when not in use.

#4 Gork

Gork

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:14 PM

Ya gotta do what works for YOU..  and  i agree it works, functional , simple and practical. 

Pull out and set up ..  easy peasy!!   Thank you for showing !! 

Thanks for the kind words.  I have built four or five observatories over the years but it's just gotten to be too much.  This one was a bit more than I thought in this 100+ degree Arizona weather but it's DONE!  Now just gotta wait for monsoons to end.

#5 Gork

Gork

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:19 PM

It appears as though the "shed" is on wheels and rolls out of the way. Is this correct? I was considering doing something similar, but the site has really high winds and I wonder if this option would be harder to secure for windy conditions as opposed to a ROR where the roof could be strapped to the supporting structure when not in use.

Your observation is correct.  I built this out of my ROR observatory that was just not big enough for my new scope.  I used the roll off rails and steel wheels from the roof of the last one to support this one.  The shed weighs about 250 so I don't think it is at risk of weather but I still tie it down with the same turnbuckles from the last roof.  Best to use inverted aluminum VEE rails and steel grooved wheels (all from Amazon.Com)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics