•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help with Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox Micro

Astrophotography Equipment Imaging Accessories
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Northrim

Northrim

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:47 AM

Hello Hive-mind,

I need some help with my Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox Micro:

It was working just fine for about a week of tests.  Now, however, whenever I power it down and then power it back up the hub gets reset to "Quad 12V Outputs -- OFF".  (See screenshots at bottom)

I'm want to use the powerbox to route power to my new mini PC but right now I need a running PC/laptop to use Pegasus Unity Platform to turn on the 12V power outlets.

It  is set to turn on the hub at start-up and the "Adj out" does have power (and I think the dew heaters are getting power  - they are set to Auto).  Only the Quad Power keeps resetting to "OFF".  I'm using a VATID portable power station as my power source.

Is there someway to reset the default to start with power "ON" or is this a hardware issue and I need a replacement?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Screenshot (120).jpg

Screenshot (122).jpg

Screenshot (123).jpg

#2 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:45 AM

Are you saving your desired power configuration by clicking on the "save" icon to the right of the quad output? 

#3 bmcclana

bmcclana

Messenger

• Loc: Central CT, USA

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:57 AM

I have something similar with my PPBmicro, but it is with the adjustable output.  so i have been ignoring it for now. 

i tried to configure it to use the adjustable out to power my control hub  so i could power cycle everything else with the Quad output while keeping my hub on from the adjustable.  but it doesnt keep the setting. 

i tried using the little save icon, but it wasnt behaving as i expected and i havent looked at it again. 

#4 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:16 AM

My PBBMicro always powers up with the quad 12V outputs on and Auto-Dew on, but I can't seem to get it to remember the setting for the variable output. The variable output powers up "off" all the time. This does not bother me since I'm USB connected to the PBBMicro all the time and can adjust the settings.

#5 Northrim

Northrim

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:24 AM

Are you saving your desired power configuration by clicking on the "save" icon to the right of the quad output? 

Thanks for the advice.

I tried that by itself and had no luck but when trying that I did notice the "reboot device" button.  I tried that and it rebooted the box.  When I went into Unity I saw that everything was set to "off".  I reset them to "ON", hit the save icon you mentioned and repowered the box.  This time everything came on correctly.  I need to test it several more times but rebooting it and resetting the defaults may have done the trick.

#6 bmcclana

bmcclana

Messenger

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:24 AM

sounds like we need to raise these issues with Pegasus directly...

#7 bmcclana

bmcclana

Messenger

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I tried that by itself and had no luck but when trying that I did notice the "reboot device" button.  I tried that and it rebooted the box.  When I went into Unity I saw that everything was set to "off".  I reset them to "ON", hit the save icon you mentioned and repowered the box.  This time everything came on correctly.  I need to test it several more times but rebooting it and resetting the defaults may have done the trick.

I will have to try this also.

Thanks

#8 bmcclana

bmcclana

Messenger

Posted 05 August 2022 - 02:41 PM

It does seem like the reboot does something different.

it is remembering the changes after a reboot that appear to be lost, or at least hit or miss, if you just remove the power from the PPB.

#9 NightStorm

NightStorm

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 August 2022 - 03:13 PM

Perhaps related (in a distant, sideways kind of way), I had a recurring issue with my PowerBox Advance v2 where nearly every time I plugged in or unplugged a dew heater the Quieter2 MiniPC would reboot.  I had plenty of 12v coming into the PB on a decent gauge wire, nonetheless the power spike was doing ugly things.

I built a simple surge well with a male and a female 5.5 x 2.1mm pigtail connector and two 10k uf caps in parallel plus a bit of power-on protection using a 50w 4 ohm resistor to help tamp down the spike.  The power from the battery box comes into this and then the output plugs into the power jack of the PowerBox.  Et voilĂ :  no more reboots!

• psandelle likes this

#10 Fegato

Fegato

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Llanfynydd, Carmarthen, Wales

Posted 06 August 2022 - 05:08 AM

I've had to contact Pegasus a couple of times, and they are pretty responsive, so worth trying them if you can't get a clear answer

• psandelle likes this

#11 psandelle

psandelle

Skylab

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 06 August 2022 - 11:22 AM

I've had to contact Pegasus a couple of times, and they are pretty responsive, so worth trying them if you can't get a clear answer

Yeah, Evans really likes to make sure his stuff works right.

Paul

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Equipment, Imaging, Accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics